What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowersimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm hoping that picture came thru.I am new to this site and recently realized that my cat could have Bengal in him. although he is a moggie and had always thought he was tabby i saw that tabbys only have the stripes.. my cat simba had not only stripes but noticeable spots on the sides of him. his mommy is the black and white cat right next to him!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he's tabby, but not the average tabby, that's for sure! There are several types of tabbies. The sort you usually see is the "mackerel tabby", with thin stripes and a sort of wild look to the pattern. The "classic tabby" has broad swirls rather than stripes. And cats like yours are called "spotted tabby"--the stripes are broken up into spots.

The "Bengal" guess isn't that bad a guess, all in all. Bengals are indeed spotted tabbies. Your cat doesn't need to have any Bengal blood to have the spotted tabby pattern, though. Spotted tabbies can be found in most local random-bred populations. The spotted tabby pattern is rarer than the other types of tabbies, but it is one of many colorful possibilities.

For the vet's paperwork, you should call your cat a "domestic shorthair". His pattern is brown spotted tabby. And the way he is snuggling with his mommy is absolutely cute!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you saw something that was stated wrong?  Or else maybe you misread it?   because fully domestic cats ( including "pure" moggies)  with tabby patterns do  come in several different types of pattern,  not only  mackerel tabby ( narrow vertical stripes on the sides )  but also come in spotted tabby,   classic (blotched)  tabby ( swirls,whorls, odd shapes, usually the dark stripes are wider than in mackerel tabby) or ticked tabby (  in which each individual hair is striped with 2 or more bands of color ) 

Tabby is actually just a broad category of cat coat patterns.    Cats with distinct spots or stripes are both tabbies.   Bengals are tabbies. 

That said,   that is one very cool looking cat!  Actually both him and his mom! 

Some would call  his pattern spotted.   Some would call it a broken mackerel tabby .  It looks like it's stripes that are broken up.   ( which is what the spotted tabby gene does,  it breaks up the other pattern that would be either mackerel or classic tabby. )

Is the background really white like that?   In this photo he looks like he's a black silver tabby.   

It's pretty hard  to know if he might have some Bengal in him.  but just the pattern alone does not really point to that..   -         

And this mom!  Wow!    That is very unusual to have a white stripe down the spine.  usually the white tends to be more on the under parts.   She has  a pattern similar to a kind  of "lucky cat " in  ancient Thai manuscripts..  
I'm hoping that picture came thru.I am new to this site and recently realized that my cat could have Bengal in him. although he is a moggie and had always thought he was tabby i saw that tabbys only have the stripes.. my cat simba had not only stripes but noticeable spots on the sides of him. his mommy is the black and white cat right next to him!

Last edited:

kaleeyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello i want to know what breed my adorable cat is ? i think part of the toyger cat but i dont know what else she is she is a mix of something i dont know what though

kaleeyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dont know her dad was but her mom was white with grey on her face and back i dont know how she came like this . her brothr looked exatcly like his mom but i dont know how old she is either 6 or 5 i resucued her
she has this bigggggggg tummy on her like a little sack i dont know what that is but she never had any kids

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Ah,  she is a beauty!  very unique look.  Her pattern is  Classic Torbie      I'm having trouble seeing for sure if she is Brown or Blue.  In the first 2 pictures she looks blue.  in the next one she looks more brown .  In the last one,  I'm not sure.    If the darkest markings are  dark grey,  she is a Blue Classic Torbie.    If the darkest markings are Black or very very dark Brown, she is a Brown Classic Torbie. 

A Torbie is also called a Tortie-Tabby  or a Patched Tabby.    It means the combination of tortoiseshell coloring and a tabby pattern.  In her case the tabby pattern is Classic Tabby. 

It's also possible she MIGHT be silver .   IF she is silver that means her undercoat is white and all of her hairs would be WHITE at the roots , including the shorter hairs like on her head or feet. 

IF she's a silver tabby,  that would make her full color / pattern name  Blue Silver Classic Torbie    ( or Black Silver Classic Torbie,  if her darkest markings are Black ) 

I think the belly is just that she's either overweight,  or if it is just loose skin but not fat in it,  that is actually pretty normal.  

Re  breed ,     Cats aren't usually a breed or mix of breeds like dogs are,  because there has been much less selective breeding of cats.   The vast majority of cats have just bred randomly on their own,  and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world.   most of their ancestors would not be cats from breeders .   These random-bred cats are known as Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair,  or fondly called "moggies" .  

But many of the breeds originally started out as "natural breeds" ,  cats in a certain area who just developed a certain look on their own. so its not surprising that some other cats can turn out 

If I were to compare her to a breed it would be American Shorthair, which  is the pedigree version of the "Domestic Shorthair" from the USA. .   She does actually have a kind of American Shorthair look to her face. 

here is an American Shorthair Silver Classic Torbie  http://www.animal-photography.com/thumbs/american_shorthair_cat_silver_~AP-6NLHQK-TH.jpg

I 'm not sure where you are seeing Toyger?   She does not look like a Toyger to me at all!    and I do see them at shows....  My  cats are often in the ring at the same time as them. 

They have bright orange background and black stripes.  like a tiger. 

Of course what is MOST important is that she is so very loved by you!  

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. My long haired kitten came from a long haired mother half the litter was long hair half was short hair.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wolfie,  you are right,   she is as pretty as ever!  in fact she might be even more beautiful.   See,  I said she would keep the orange!   I just love the leg that is half black and half orange 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow! That is about the prettiest torbie I have ever seen. Her eyes are just amazing, and her stripes are so striking, with that contrast between dark stripes and white chest. For having so little white, she's got very large patches of color--unusual in a torbie; on a torbie-and-white with very little white, it's usually more of a mottled near-tortoiseshell pattern.

You're a good photographer! She seems to love the sun...

Last edited:

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My question isn't what breed but more of Long hair Vs Short hair and will it stay?
The cat in Question is the black kitten who was born May 1st 2013.
Her name is Amaya and her mother was an outdoor long hair stray with Tortie markings... Half the litter was long looking the other half short... I have no other information. She was raised in a dog house intill I got her at 12weeks and had to cut matts out of her long fur... Amaya has long strands like my DLH hers are about 1" all down her back and her tail is long also she has a poofy face including strands of long hair infront of her ears... Sadily no main from what I can tell... Her sister did she was stunning but my friend had her on hold!  Amaya looks like a minni version of her mother just pure black. I am really hoping she stays long haired as I have looked for a long time for a pure black long hair. If shes short I will still lover her just as much...

If you need better photos just tell me I plan on taking some when its day time on a white blanket hoping shes more accurate looking.... In the picture its not her mother but my DLH who sheds to medium length in the summer. She kind of looks like a small version of my other DLH the grey ones biological brother I posted at the end.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
paws4life,  I bet that kitten will be a longhair.    It can be hard to tell with kittens though and  it's sort of borderline.  but I am guessing a semi-longhair. 

Longhairs usually do not develop their mane this young anyway.   so if she is a LH  she may still get one.   but it can take even a few years before they really properly grow a mane. 

Your DLH is gorgeous!   Another  beautiful Torbie!  it's a great day for Torbie pictures in this section! 

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  The DLH is a sweetie. Hes actually sick with a Bladder stone and we have been pumping so much money into to him hoping to dissolve over the sugery.... Im so scared the stone hasn't dissolved....

This is the other kitten one I wanted as she was sooo long haired with a main but my friend wanted her first.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oooh that is a cute little tabby kitten.  and i see what you mean, she kind of has a little mane going on already.  

The black one may also end up being like your cat that has shorter hair in the summer.   I think you will find out  this fall and winter.     Normally if a kitten has a fluffy tail they turn out longhair... but there is a big variation in how long the hair is on  a longhair!  it can include everything from what some people call medium to very very long.   She's not going to have very very longhair like a Persian.  but she could possibly have semi-longhair like some Maine Coons , or Turkish Vans ( Turkish Vans can have a big difference between summer and winter. 

She also might stay "medium" all the time  but just have a very plush coat that gets thicker in winter .  

Either way I bet she will be pretty! 

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I love her. She is such a cuddly cat. She was never really handled and I won her over with a belly rub but shes shy so she only comes out when don't have company lol... I am happy either way I just really hope get gets hair even if its like my white and grey guy because he is beautiful in the cold months.  I seen long hair pure black adults and they are to die for adorable the shorts are as cute to tho.  I want to put little clips in her hair infront of her ears lol

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow! That is about the prettiest torbie I have ever seen. Her eyes are just amazing, and her stripes are so striking, with that contrast between dark stripes and white chest. For having so little white, she's got very large patches of color--unusual in a torbie; on a torbie-and-white with very little white, it's usually more of a mottled near-tortoiseshell pattern.

You're a good photographer! She seems to love the sun...
Thank you so much, such nice compliments!
I do photography as part of my job, so it's definitely a thing of mine, I love it. I have to stop myself from posting 3938292 pictures of both her and Kaylee on Facebook everyday LOL.

katiewithacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this my cat. I want to know what breed she is. She has a dark brown and grey face with very light blonde front legs and chest with brown back legs and stomach with a black butt and tail. She is like an Ombré cat. She also has pricing blue eyes and a sassy attitude. Anything would help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.