What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Since she has no pedigree papers from a reputable breeder, she is a Domestic Shorthair, or moggy, as they are lovingly called. I am not sure what to call her color, tabby/calico? Someone who knows a little more about colors will probably answer better.

No matter what she is, you have one gorgeous cat. Do people always tell you how beautiful she is. If you will look at my albums on my profile page, you will see that Sheba (mostly called Meezykins) is about the same coloring.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. First of all, without any pedigree papers from a reputable breeder, he is a Domestic Shorthair. Secondly, without any picture and just the short description you gave, we can't tell if he looks like any particular type of cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So i found this when i was trying to figure out what kind of cat i have, any one here have any ideas, I'm pretty sure shes not pure but the whole family would like to know.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g390/moxzot/IMG_1750_zps9423d2e9.jpg

Any guesses would be great
This aint no black cat, so you are now asking about an entirely different cat??

Not easy with kittens, but the type is somewhat similiar with Maine Coon.  Perhaps.

If you want to have something to compare with.

Good luck!

brian neal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This aint no black cat, so you are now asking about an entirely different cat??

Not easy with kittens, but the type is somewhat similiar with Maine Coon.  Perhaps.

If you want to have something to compare with.

Good luck!
LOL im not the guy with a black cat i was just wondering about my cat
but she does look close to that but she doesnt have that pointy ear hair and shes not as fluffy i guess ill only know when she grows up more

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
LOL im not the guy with a black cat i was just wondering about my cat
but she does look close to that but she doesnt have that pointy ear hair and shes not as fluffy i guess ill only know when she grows up more
Yeah, I see now its two different Brians!     :)     I jumped the gun too hastily!

Although my answer is essentielly the same.    :)

Please, if you want to know what your cat is, send a pic of your cat. Not one who is somewhat a look alike.

Its as the old anecdote, slightly modernized:

The proud mother of a singing boy takes a demo CD to a professor at Juillard Music University, and asks him to listen on this demo of her son singing pop music.  "He is a marvel, just listen, dear prof, I would appreciate your effort very much".

OK, said the prof, I do have 10 minutes to next lecture, shoot.

He listens, and speaks:  "Really good singer, your son is, if you like pop music. But it is somewhat peculiar.  If you hadnt said it is your son singing, I would swear it is my late friend, Michael Jackson".

The mother answers: "Oh yes, you are right.  This IS Michael Jackson singing. But my son is singing exactly the same"

Good luck!

superamy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Flower very sweet wants to be everyone's friend I omost never hear her meow ..and super lazy.. Sleeps like 12 hours aday

Kitty super confident, will adapt to any situation, super energetic, super hunter. Has the most wide range of meows of any cat I known and talk allllllll the time...Can be mean but can be nice,.

Bella.. Yes looks like hitler... Lol.. But she has super soft fur, most neurotic cat ever, she is super nervous, to the point when I move to one place or another or my work hours change she will clean herself until she is bald. :( but super attached to me and my wife.. Follows around the house, unless strangers are home..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
SuperAmy. Small picts, and only one of each, difficult to say something definitive.

The breed is surely domestic, like most are, but if they are look alike some breed?  Lets play this game!

Flower you can possibly compare with a Norwegian Forest Cat.  If not, a Maine Coon (some few MCO can also have somewhat triangularish muzzles, which are otherwise typical for NFC).

Kitty has the Van pattern, after Turkish Van.  Turkish van as breed are rare, but the pattern as such is relatively common. Quite a few of our forumites has sent us such pics.

Bella, I think she too is a somewhat NFC - alike.  In body shape not unlike Flower I think I see, although her colors are different, Black and White, which is striking here.

They say Hitler was nice with his  dog, a german shepherd. It is known he was friendly with his household personnel and his lower adminstrative staff like his secretaries. He was a good soldier once.

Thus, even Hitler had decent parts of his soul and personality.

Lets say Bella looks like these decent parts of Hitler.    :)

Ps, about Bella. Had you tried with a Feliway diffuser? and or Dr Bachs Rescue Remedy?  Useful for nervous cats.

superamy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.. !! Ill definitely try that!! Ya sorry about small pics its from my I pad.. Ya kitty is very interesting she maybe partly deaf and her fur is super soft but the under coat is super thick.. I was thinking that.. :) Bella was the hard one for me.. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kaleey.  He is surely a domestic, shorthair, the pattern is Mackerel Tabby.

He is quite alike the European, who are the purebred descendands of the in northern europe common "peasant cat", "the salt of the earth" in the cat world.    :)

Verry pretty!

Good luck!

babesbooboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do i know what breed my cat is
We're getting a lot of "Which Breed is My Cat" questions lately, so here's a reminder -

Without a confirmed pedigree, the only answer anyone can give you is this: Your cat is a mixed-breed domestic, either long, medium or short-haired cat. It's that simple.

We can try and tell you what breed your cat looks like, and that may or may not mean they have a genetic connection to a cat of that breed. Either way, they are all beautiful in our eyes, so bring on the pictures!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do i know what breed my cat is
Welcome to TCS. We can only tell you what breed your cat most resembles. As Anne states in the quote you posted, without a confirmed pedigree (one from a reputable registered breeder), your cat is a domestic mix. 95% of cats out there are domestic mixes.

If you would post a good, fairly big picture of your cat, we can have fun trying to decipher what it looks like and speculate on the genetic background.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kaleey,   that is one cool looking cat! 

He is definitely a mackerel tabby,   but I'm not sure if he is a very cool shade of Brown Mackerel Tabby ( which is really genetically black ,  but the agouti ( 'background' color,  the lighter color of the pattern )    area is often brownish.  so it's traditionally called Brown Tabby.  However some of those "Brown Tabbies" have a more greyish color in the agouti hairs -- .  but if so it is often tan at the roots. .

The alternative is  Black Silver Mackerel Tabby.   That's when there is an extra gene that inhibits the color.     I am seeing hardly any brownish color in the agouti area.  

IF he's a  silver tabby,   all his hairs will be white at the roots.  including the hairs that make the black part of his pattern.  and including the very short hairs on top of his head or his feet. 

Stefan,   you were comparing him to European Shorthairs which makes me wonder,  do the European Shorthairs often have legs that long?    That cat looks like he has a body that is approaching  "foreign type" , like an Aby or Russian Blue or Thai ( original Siamese) ,  or like many of the random-bred cats in Asia, Africa or the Middle East.    In fact he reminds me of some of the cats that are called Native Egyptian Maus or Arabian Maus.   I am NOT saying he IS one of those,   unless he is from Egypt or the Arabian peninsula.   

But random-bred cats elsewhere do come in a variety of shapes.    so  a "Domestic Shorthair" in the U.S. or Europe may also look like this.     Anyway,  whatever his ancestry he sure is a very handsome cat.  

Really to call most cats "mixed breed" could be a bit confusing.  Unlike dogs, who have had far more selective breeding, cats are not usually a breed or a mixed breed in the way many dogs are -- for example a mix of Lab and GSD.    Cats are most often a mix  of many generations of random-bred cats from their part of the world and  have few or no ancestors of specific breeds bred by breeders.   
Kaleey.  He is surely a domestic, shorthair, the pattern is Mackerel Tabby.

He is quite alike the European, who are the purebred descendands of the in northern europe common "peasant cat", "the salt of the earth" in the cat world.    :)

Verry pretty!

Good luck!

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kaaley's cat is beautiful. Such long legs! Do the cats in your area generally have long legs like that?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow really beautiful cat where did you find him? He does have very similar markings to a snowshoe, but not exactly breed standard. Usually snowshoes have a V shaped white mark on their head. Snowshoes are also a fairly rare breed. The interesting thing about the snowshoe breed is that is was developed by breeding a siamese to a bicolour domestic so your cat may just be a similar mix. 

Your cat would officially be considered a pointed domestic shorthair. Because of the points there must be some siamese ancestry but it could be many generations in the past. Though I think you can say your cat is a snowshoe look-a-like. 

Status
Not open for further replies.