What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lori and Woodfamily -- As Callista said, those are some beautiful torties! Not a particular breed, but that is what's normal for cats.

Woodfamily, yours looks like what's sometimes called a "hot tortie" meaning she has a lot of the red-based color.

Both those cats have nice looking heads , IMO. ( I tend to like the longer headed cats .)
And I like how Lila is 'tall on the legs' looks like she has a body type called 'foreign', like for example, the old type of Siamese ( now called Thai in TICA), or an Abyssinian.
Lori it is harder to tell your cats body type since right now her body type = pregnant!

lori1802

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tortoiseshell-and-white domestic shorthair, no particular breed. Tortie-and-whites are called calicos sometimes, though the idea of calico usually brings to mind more white than she has.

Is this the first time you've taken care of a pregnant cat? We have a good pregnancy/kitten forum. Some of us foster pregnant momcats for shelters, and some are hobby breeders, so you'll find some experienced people to advise you. Your cat can be spayed after the kittens are weaned, but you are right--it is better for the kittens to stay with the queen until they are older than that. They learn how to play nicely with each other, and how to be polite to humans, and how to use the litter box reliably. I once met a cat who was taken away from his mother too soon and he never learned how to lick himself clean. He had to be bathed, the poor thing! Ten weeks is good; twelve weeks is better. But you can certainly let potential new owners visit the kittens earlier, so they can get to know each other. It's better for the new owners that way; the kittens will have had their first shots and be old enough to be on their own, and some vets will do pediatric spay/neuter so the kittens can go to their new homes already fixed.
She's a tortoiseshell domestic shorthair--in other words, a moggy or an alley cat, with no particular breed, or else a representative of the population of random-bred cats in your area.She's a very pretty girl.
Yes, this is the first time I've taken care of a pregnant cat. I've had pregnant dogs when I was young. I've always had my cats spayed/neutered before they could even think to make babies! Lol I will admit my mistake here and say this Is my own fault. I should have had her spayed much younger. She was always an indoor cat but then I got my male and he's likes to go outside, she starting following him out and loved it. Her first time going into heat I called the vet and set up an appointment to have her spayed the next day....but she got out of the door when I opened it to leave and before I got her in the cat carrier. I canceled the appointment and didnt see her for almost a week. She came home half starved and sickly looking. I took her to the vet at that point but still didn't spay her because I realized she was probably pregnant. She left the house in heat and came home almost a week later and no more heat. I've found homes for up to 4 kittens with family so I'm hoping not to get more then 5 (I'll keep one if it comes down to it). I just don't want to give then to strangers and have them neglected. I'm going to have all the babies fixed really young anyways, I think the vet would be willing to give me a little bit of a deal if I do a large group? Lol thanks for your reply!!

elliejoonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat Douglas. We got him from a shelter last summer and he's such a lovely, good-natured cat. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what kind of breed he is, as he is very big and fluffy compared to the average moggie. He was quite overweight when we got him but even after losing a bit of weight he is still very large. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Katniss is tabby and white, this is his pattern.  Exactly what he is, depends partly on where you do live.

In USA and Europe he would surely be classified as domestic "moggie".

If you live in other countries, say around the Grecian islands or MidEast, he can be one of their local breed.  The cats living there does often has such a here look.

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I love your big Blue and White boy Douglas.   he looks like a sweetheart 

I can't help but be reminded a bit of British Shorthairs big round heads and jowls  ( or the British Longhair version),  but it may just be Douglas's extra weight  causing that resemblance  ( as well as the blue coat which is the most popular color in Brits). 

It is hard to tell what his ancestry might be, but most cats aren't specific breeds. 

Sorry I am not more helpful.  

I hope you may stay around and keep posting so we can see more of him.  He has lovely eyes.

and I hope you'll be able to help continue to very slowly and safely get down to a healthy weight.   There's a vet's site www.catinfo.org that has some very good stuff on cat nutrition including helping cats lose weight.   including stories of some fosters she helped.  ( in the article on Feline Obesity.)  

angie1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what breed is she. We found her in my backyard everyday same time and we gave her food around lunch
She would come inside my house after about two weeks and then she slept over permeably we took her in about three years ago. My mom says she sometimes acts like a dog playful and she is well trained. We think her old owners left her behind. She had a collar but no information. Please let me know what breed thx

Last edited by a moderator:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, she doesn't look like any particular breed to me. She probably doesn't have any purebred parents; probably no purebred grandparents, either. It's a stretch, but I guess I could say she might, at one point, have an ancestor who was a traditional Persian, because of her dense fur and round body, but it's so tiny a hint of Persian that she could have come by that just from random breeding. Probably did, but hey, that's my best guess.

For the purposes of the vet's paperwork, you can call her a "domestic shorthair", also known as a moggy or alley cat. Most cats are moggies--about 95% or so. Her pattern is black and white.

Congrats on rescuing such a pretty lady.

szaffi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the cat in the front is a DSH she is almost 12 years old and her momma was a regular white DSH, she passed away last year. :( I don't know who daddy was... Milly (the momma) never told us. :)

After mother cat died she was really lonely so I got a new friend for her (and for me) from my local shelter, that grey beauty at the back. 

She is so gorgeous. I don't know what breed can she be.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the cat in the front is a DSH she is almost 12 years old and her momma was a regular white DSH, she passed away last year. :( I don't know who daddy was... Milly (the momma) never told us. :)
After mother cat died she was really lonely so I got a new friend for her (and for me) from my local shelter, that grey beauty at the back. 
She is so gorgeous. I don't know what breed can she be.
Actually the cat in the front is pointed so that means she has Siamese ancestry but it could be generations back. Both her mother and father must have carried the gene. The grey cat in the back is most likely a domestic shorthair but she does look a little like a British shorthair.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that first photo of Lucy. She looks a lot like my cat, Tiny, except that Tiny is a mackerel tabby. She has such gorgeous eyes and well-defined stripes on her face. And, yes, she is a classic tabby. :)

mittenstyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitty that's black wi a white tummy and white curtains on its face. It's long haired and has no gender. It has pretty green eyes and is still the same size as a medium sized kitten even though it is almost 2 years old. What breed is it?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kitty that's black wi a white tummy and white curtains on its face. It's long haired and has no gender. It has pretty green eyes and is still the same size as a medium sized kitten even though it is almost 2 years old. What breed is it?
Unless you have pedigree papers from a reputable breeder, it is a domestic longhair. Post a couple of pictures and we can tell you what pattern it is.

Welcome to TCS.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"No gender"???!!!!    You mean it's a hermaphrodite?   as well as unnaturally small? 

There is no way of telling breed from that description.  Many breeds come in black and white,  as well as  the far more numerous cats who aren't any breed.  And "domestics"  can sometimes turn out much smaller.   

Without definite knowledge of ancestry like the cat both meeting a breed standard and having registration & pedigree,  it would be just classified as Domestic Longhair .  

The small size may be due to inbreeding depression  or lack of nutrition as a kitten.  

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bianca has some very cool looking markings.   and that top photo is so cute,  looks like she is smiling or even laughing! 

She would just be classified as Domestic Longhair.    And  pattern is some kind of  Tabby and White.   I think it's Classic Tabby and White.      In these photos the color looks like it might be blue...  but on the other hand the darkest markings look Black.     If she's genetically black , the darkest markings would be black and she would be called  Brown Classic Tabby and White.     The tabbies that are genetically black are traditionally called Brown Tabby since the background color is often brownish.   But in her that background part of the tabby patches is a very cool shade that looks more blue.    

So you'll have to decide.  You go by the darkest fur.   If it's black she is Brown Classic Tabby and White.  If the darkest fur is really dark grey,  she is Blue Classic Tabby and White.  

Cats aren't like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds.  Most cats have just bred randomly on their own.  and she might be descended mostly or entirely from cats  like that.   It's pretty hard to know if she might have a bit of some breed mixed in.    but she is a really nice looking cat and I do love her coloring.   

This is Bianca, she'll be 8 years old in october :)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing that "no gender" just means the cat has been neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.