What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wildcat hybrids (Bengals, Savannahs, etc.) are becoming extremely popular in the U.S., and, of course, the more popular a breed is, the more crummy breeders there are. You all may not want to call it a "Savannah" without papers, but that cat does not look like any pure domestic I've ever seen. I would almost guarantee it has some serval in it. That's not a normal cat.
. I just prefer the world exotic to wild
and what makes you see Serval in the above cat?

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the cat is striking, but there's nothing about it that couldn't occur by chance within the regular cat population.  Again, I really don't see how it matters.  By being offended by someone saying your cat isn't purebred, you're basically saying there's something wrong with not having a particular breed.  If all cats are equally valuable, then you shouldn't be offended.  

I dunno... it's like if you post a picture of your white cat and ask if it's black.  Then when people tell you it's white, you react by saying, "How dare you insult my cat by saying it's not black!"  They're just telling the truth.  There's nothing wrong with white cats (or moggies) so get over it.  

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 By being offended by someone saying your cat isn't purebred, you're basically saying there's something wrong with not having a particular breed.  If all cats are equally valuable, then you shouldn't be offended
Exactly! Being Just A Cat is perfectly fine, as the majority of cats are.

tpayne311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm confused. I never was offended by my babies not being pure bread.....whoosah everyone! I was just curious!

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm confused. I never was offended by my babies not being pure bread.....whoosah everyone! I was just curious!
It's not a comment aimed at you, specifically, just some comments here by people who think it's insulting or snobby to say that other people's cats aren't a certain breed. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a comment aimed at you, specifically, just some comments here by people who think it's insulting or snobby to say that other people's cats aren't a certain breed. 
If you are referring to my post, which was moved to the other thread, you are misunderstanding the meaning of it. I have said, more than once, that I do not feel telling someone their cat is "no breed" is insulting. Making up fake names for the purpose of ridiculing people who don't understand that cats don't come as mixed breeds is what I object to.

Very few people, even people who are extremely knowledgeable about cats and their care and behavior, know that cats are not ever considered mixed breeds. It seems it should be simple to tell people that, without making fun of them for not knowing.

Those who take offense at a simple statement, well that's their problem. For some reason, some people have this need for their cats to seem rare or extra special. I don't understand it either, all cats are special. But very few people know that there is such a thing as Cat Fancy, or that domestic cats are never considered as mixed breeds. There is no need to belittle people for that.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You get moggies, domestic shorthairs to be exact, or longhairs if the Siamese happens to be carrying the longhair gene, but that's not very common. When you mix random breeds, you get just domestics, not cats of any breed.

It says in your cats' registration papers/pedigree what breed they are. No papers, no breed. I really like your red one, excellent eye color.

Last edited:

eduk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think people get offended if told their cat is domestic and not some special breed.

I suspect it is the tendency of wanting our special cat to be extra special by being some particular breed, preferably expensive, especially that we did not pay much for it !!!!

I wonder if this applies to humans too, so if you marry someone from certain country or area, someone might want them to be some sort of a blue blood aristocrat who either lost their status in a revolution or their family lost their estate because of some crazy ancestor sleeping with a horse or something.

Ah, and the idea that a breed is only with papers is a show/championship thing.  And you can buy a cat with papers but on the off-list (?) so although the cat you bought is a breed their descendant will not get registered by the breeder association or something.

So their kittens although coming from breed-paper cats , are still breed cats, even if they don't have papers ........

A siamese with a kink tail will still give birth to siamese kittens, you can not call their kittens domestic  simply coz they have no papers ........

Thanks for the reply about my kitten being a common working class domestic

gumiho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

But, here in my country they don't give those cert thingy.

So, the two cats shown above in my previous post actually came from the same parent. Their mother was a domestic longhair but the father was a siamese.

May I ask does the colour point of my kittens come from the siamese father? Some of my kittens has red points, some are completely white, some are orange stripes and some with black/brown points (like my cat).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

But, here in my country they don't give those cert thingy.

So, the two cats shown above in my previous post actually came from the same parent. Their mother was a domestic longhair but the father was a siamese.

May I ask does the colour point of my kittens come from the siamese father? Some of my kittens has red points, some are completely white, some are orange stripes and some with black/brown points (like my cat).
You cannot get papers for mixed breed cats, most countries do have a cat fancy and associations, but only for purebred cats - mixes are not allowed.

The point gene is carried, and both parents need to have the gene. So while the damn may be solid, or tabby she can produce pointed kittens if mated to a pointed cat or another carrier.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T
You had already got answer for this in the other tread you started.    :)

I shall copy and paste it down here in a minute.*

Wait, so you had already a litter with these two cats?   How many did they come out?

*Copyied and inpasted answer from the other tread in Behavior:

"

If their parents ARE a siamese respectively a persian, with papers and all, so they ARE a mix of persian and siamese.  As simple as that.   If the parents are just called so, but of very unsure parentage, they are domestics. The one pointed long haired domestic, the other long haired domestic.

But you ask perhaps why the one is pointed, and the other not, although the same parents?

The point "masque" gene is recessive.   Thus the dad has a pair of such genes to them show off.

The mom had probably one such gene. The other was for normal looking persian.

In their kittens there is about 50/50 chances to be double point gene (one from dad, one from mom), and 50/50 the point gene coming single (just from dad, moms was for a persian). Being recessive, the cat looks just like a persian mix.

In the double point gene, the gene although recessive is fairly strong when  manifested:

the cats overall looks become of a good, pointed cat. With short haired breeds, it will be often a sort of look alike old type siamese.  Here it is perhaps like resembling a Holy Birma?

(the siamese dad had perhaps also a recessive gene for long hair?)."

Last edited:

gumiho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats don't have litter. The kittens I mentioned was their siblings. Came from the same parents.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, and the idea that a breed is only with papers is a show/championship thing.  And you can buy a cat with papers but on the off-list (?) so although the cat you bought is a breed their descendant will not get registered by the breeder association or something.

So their kittens although coming from breed-paper cats , are still breed cats, even if they don't have papers ........

A siamese with a kink tail will still give birth to siamese kittens, you can not call their kittens domestic  simply coz they have no papers ........
Without papers you simply cannot prove that the cat is breed X, that's why it's a domestic. There is no DNA-testing for specifying cat breeds, and your word (or mine for that matter) for it is just not reliable enough information. If an actual pedigreed cat loses it's papers, they can get new ones from their registry.

eduk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see your point, but I think that is more from the point of a breeder/seller or a competition participator.

If I bring you a white cat with blue eyes and seal point and long ears, and if you tell me this is a domestic cat, then you are being harsh. I am not saying that you are wrong, but you could say it looks like maybe a siamese  , but since there is no paper then we can't be sure; now that would be a more fair reply then to simply say no breed .

And I think people who ask in here about their cats, it is like a letter to agony aunt, so I assume that replies should come in similar matter, I doubt anyone will take replies given here as a basis for claiming money from an insurance or a bank or suing someone, it is just general info for chit chat.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see your point, but I think that is more from the point of a breeder/seller or a competition participator.

If I bring you a white cat with blue eyes and seal point and long ears, and if you tell me this is a domestic cat, then you are being harsh. I am not saying that you are wrong, but you could say it looks like maybe a siamese  , but since there is no paper then we can't be sure; now that would be a more fair reply then to simply say no breed .

<snip>
Not harsh, truthful.  There is a lot more to being a Siamese than being a shorthair with blue eyes & points and large ears and there seem to be plenty of places where the ferals are having pointed kittens.  Plus the pointed gene is in plenty of breeds other than Siamese.

To be a good look-alike it needs the right body and head shape and coat texture, as well as the points & blue eyes, and in my view to be a Siamese it needs papers. 

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are referring to my post...
Nope, not referring to you, either.  If I were talking to a specific person I'd quote them or name them.  I don't do the passive-aggressive, talking to people and pretending I'm not.  
I don't think people get offended if told their cat is domestic and not some special breed.
Some people do, and some people don't.  The reason I didn't name anyone specifically is because it's happened over and over again in this thread and to do so would be time-consuming and pointless. 

Status
Not open for further replies.