What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deannawins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed is my cat? She is black and white. White socks. White around her nose, White belly and chest, Black nose. She is fluffy. She is 3 years old an VERY small for her age. About half the size of average cats. Maybe a little bigger. Im sorry i cannot supply a photo at this time.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What breed is my cat? She is black and white. White socks. White around her nose, White belly and chest, Black nose. She is fluffy. She is 3 years old an VERY small for her age. About half the size of average cats. Maybe a little bigger. Im sorry i cannot supply a photo at this time.
Domestic longhair :-)

nouran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have the exact same breed as urs. same everything, same white color, same eye color, same lenght of coat..wow its like its twin

nouran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Anyone knows what my lovely Nacho's breed is? When i got her frm a pet store the guy didnt seem like an expert..he told me shes persian..i couldnt tell cuz she was too tiny so i beleived him but now i can tell shes not a persian at all..however i did some google research and i guess she might be somehow related to a doll face/traditional persian, maybe??

Or maybe shes something else i dunno

Ive seen a couple of people with the same type of cat but they dont know themselves..so any experts help?

Excuse my grammar!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks nothing like a Persian to me.  I'm sure you have asked before - I think I recognise the photo - but in my view she's a domestic longhair - a cat of no particular breed, like 95% or so of all cats.

Cats of a particular breed (e.g. pedigree cats) come with papers telling you what breed and colour they are.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks nothing like a Persian to me.  I'm sure you have asked before - I think I recognise the photo 
Third time I think, answer hasn't changed 

For future reference pet stores are one of the worst places to buy a pet, they are usually from back yard breeders. If she does have any Persian in her you need to get her tested for PKD, byb's don't bother testing their cats or breeding for healthy kittens

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/pckd1.php

tpayne311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does this little guy look like a savannah to anyone?! Or maybe mixed with one?

He's 16 weeks and weighs 5.5 lbs. his ears are definitely not those of a regular DSH and they are very big and round on the top of his head instead of pointy and to the side. His eyes are naturally very wide and he seems to have abnormally large feet! I was just curious because we adopted this little booger :) I've had several people suggest it but I thought I'd get others input as well! Either way, we love him so much!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another splendid Justa. Kittens do have big ears, some more than others, and for some reason a lot of people pick on very rare cat breeds (which the Savanna is) as what their cat might be...  He is very cute, love those spots on his tummy, and he's a brown tabby DSH.  A lovely Justa.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely see Savannah in that cat. The reasons are as follows:

1) Large ears

2) Triangular head

3) The white around the mouth.

4) Large/wider noise bridge.

5) The coat pattern

6) Larger hips in the back

It is not an F1 or F2 Savannah, in my humble opinion. However, it could be a F3 to SBT.  Can you take photo's of the back of the ears, so, I can see if there are any visible oceli (false eye spots). Also, a photo of, him or her standing up would be very helpful. Since, Savannahs, are taller and longer then the average cat.

Behaviors to look for:

1) Does the cat seem to be "overly" hyperactive?

2) Does the cat like water?

3) Does the cat "not take no for an answer"?

4) Is very interested in his/her environment?

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely see Savannah in that cat. The reasons are as follows:

1) Large ears

2) Triangular head

3) The white around the mouth.

4) Large/wider noise bridge.

5) The coat pattern

6) Larger hips in the back

<snip>
We don't know where this cat is or why it's in a cage - but seriously, the Savannah is one of the rarest of cat breeds.  There are just 23 TICA-registered breeders in the US, there might be a few more who haven't paid for the listing but I suspect not many.  And although I can see why you can see some Savannah in it, I can see features of many breeds including the most noble and ancient Justa.

http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/sv/breeders.php

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't know where this cat is or why it's in a cage - but seriously, the Savannah is one of the rarest of cat breeds.  There are just 23 TICA-registered breeders in the US, there might be a few more who haven't paid for the listing but I suspect not many.  And although I can see why you can see some Savannah in it, I can see features of many breeds including the most noble and ancient Justa.

Agree, and behaviors are hardly something to go on when trying to label a breed or X

If you're after a Savannah, find a good breeder and get a kitten or retired cat - then there'll be no question on what is is or isn't

Last edited:

eduk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone wanna take a guess ?

Are seal point breed restricted or can domestic cats be seal point too ?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal points show up in domestics, which your cat is unless from a breeder with papers

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read this whole thread... mostly for amusement.  I'm surprised by a couple of things.  First, that so many people think their cat might be a certain breed.  I generally think of cats as not having breeds and sometimes I have to remind myself that a small percentage do have pedigrees.  Secondly, I'm surprised that anyone would be offended by being told that their cat is no particular breed.  Justa cats are perfectly good cats, I don't see how it matters.  

Thirdly, it seems to me that there is some animosity from some people toward fanciers of purebred cats.  Some accusations that they only value purebred cats' lives or that they even hate  moggies.  Some seem to think that the breeders are snobs for telling people that their cats aren't purebred.  I haven't seen one single whiff of any purebred cat fanciers on this forum who look down on regular ole cats.  Everyone here loves cats of all kinds, from what I can tell.  If your cat's not purebred, then saying so isn't an insult or a negative value judgement on the cat.  If you think that "not purebred" is an insult, then perhaps it is your own perception of moggies that should be questioned.  

This reminds me of the forum I go to for the dog breeds I'm into.  I have two rare Japanese breeds, a Shikoku ken and a Kai ken.  They belong to a group of six native dog breeds of Japan, collectively known as Nihon ken.  The most common Nihon ken are akita and shiba inu, but even those aren't terribly common.  People come to our forum a LOT and want to know if their dog is part Nihon ken.  Many of them simply introduce themselves as owning a "Hokkaido mix" and then they give a little back-story and post pictures, and mostly their dogs came from animal shelters and have unknown origins and look nothing like the breed.  Dogs are even much more likely than cats to actual consist of actual breeds, but of all the breeds in the world, why do you think your dog would be a Hokkaido mix? They are such rare dogs, even in Japan.  There are only a handful of Hokkaido breeders outside of Japan (fewer than five that I know of), and none in North America.  

Similarly, in the dog world, there are those who seem to really hate purebred dog owners and breeders.  The whole "adopt, don't shop" bit that gets passed around really baffles me.  In a perfect world, the only cats and dogs would be born to responsible breeders and bought by conscientious owners.  Good breeders are part of the solution, not part of the problem.  Ideally, all the moggies would be born to responsible breeders, too.  It's just that breeding them on purpose currently isn't justified since there are more of them than there are homes for them.  I love moggies, so of course I simply adopt homeless ones.  If there weren't any homeless moggies left, then I'd hope there would responsible moggie breeders I could go to.  Adopting homeless pets is very important, of course, but it treats a symptom, it's not a cure.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Socksy, nice post!   Otto, you do perhaps have a point there, sort of...     :)

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Socksy, thanks for articulating so much that has crossed my mind upon reading these "What breed is my cat?" posts!

It is baffling how some people get upset when they're told their cat is of no breed. But then again, the number of people who don't read the sticky for this forum is also baffling.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The wildcat hybrids (Bengals, Savannahs, etc.) are becoming extremely popular in the U.S., and, of course, the more popular a breed is, the more crummy breeders there are. You all may not want to call it a "Savannah" without papers, but that cat does not look like any pure domestic I've ever seen. I would almost guarantee it has some serval in it. That's not a normal cat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.