What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I've never gotten through The Lord of the Rings books, despite several attempts.

I had such a hard time with The LoTR books. I started to read "The Hobbit", and I was so confused!
  It took me months and months to get through less than 25% of the book. Finally out of frustration I threw it across the room into the closet where it lived for years where it landed.

I watched the movies, and then it all made sense. I finally knew what  "Hobbit" was, and could picture what the book was talking about. Prior to seeing the movies I just couldn't grasp or relate anything visual to what I was reading.

I've since read The LoTR and The Hobbit dozens and dozens of times. In fact I had to replace some of the paperback books 2 or 3 times, but they've all been replaced at least once. They've now become my favourite books to read. I even have them on my eReader and the DVD's at the ready for when I need my LoTR fix!

When I read a book, a picture story plays out in my head as I'm reading. If I can't relate to what I'm reading, I can't get a mental picture and I just can't read the book. I think it's part of my dyslexia and might be the reason why I'm very fussy about books that I read.

If you haven't seen the movies, watch those before you read the books.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read The Hobbit and Lord Of the Rings in high school of course and once in my twenties. Recently, desperate for reading, material I got them out again. I enjoyed The Hobbit very much but struggled through the first half of the first book in the trilogy for weeks before I gave up in utter boredom. Maybe you have to be stoned to enjoy it, something I gave up years and years and years ago. :lol3:

So I got rid of the books since I obviously am never going to read them again.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Never got in to The Hobbit, but I read LOTR when I moved in to my apartment and had just got my 2 tabby girls. Bad idea.

The girls were about 9 weeks and full of beans.  I didn't have much furniture and my bed was a folded up duvet on the floor.  I'd gone to sleep after reading a fairly early chapter with hobbits heading through a wooded area and there being eyes watching them from the trees.  I woke up suddenly from a nightmare about being stalked and chased by a tiger, just as it was jumping at my head.  I had that feeling of something on my body as I woke up and started to sit up, and then a tiny little tiger striped head with shiny eyes popped up from under my covers right in front of my face!  I swear I nearly had a heart attack!!!    I think my little Pal had crawled in under the covers at my feat, run up my body and popped her head out right in front of my face just as I woke up.  

Thinking about re-reading Dee Brown's 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' again.  Haven't read it for years and found myself talking to a friend about it yesterday.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Ann Hood's The Knitting Circle. Hood is a compelling story teller. I bawled my head off, but I think I was crying less about the story and more about the fact that I was finished with the book and feel like I just lost a handful of best friends. Wow. I've finished all three of hers I got out of the library and now have to wait for the rest to come in.

Don't know what I will read now, though I do have several more library books to choose from...

Maybe I'll just go back to Marjorie Morningstar for a little while.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After finishing the Silmarillion (which was a pretty good read), I read The Scarlett Letter. It was a fairly quick and enjoyable book. A few days ago I started Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, which I have been enjoying.

To add to the conversation about the Hobbit, I read it when I was around nine, and thought it to be very interesting. I would like to re-read it though, I think there are a few elements of the story that I have forgotten.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After finishing the Silmarillion (which was a pretty good read), I read The Scarlett Letter. It was a fairly quick and enjoyable book. A few days ago I started Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, which I have been enjoying.

To add to the conversation about the Hobbit, I read it when I was around nine, and thought it to be very interesting. I would like to re-read it though, I think there are a few elements of the story that I have forgotten.
It took me several tries before I got further than the first 50 pages or so in the Silmarillion, but once I got past there, I had no trouble finishing it.

I think one thing about the Hobbit and LOTR that makes people not like it is that a lot of things in the books are not in the movies.  I had one person tell me, "Well, that part wasn't in the movie, so why did he put it in the book?" 

Re-read the book and enjoy the subtlety of the English professor's writing.  Be sure to read all the forewords and footnotes. Keep your copy of the Silmarillion handy for reference to specific events.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never saw any of the Lord of the Ring movies. I am not a fan of old books being made into movies. I'm kind of ...snobbish...that way.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the hobbit and the rest in my 20's. I probably wouldn't be able to read it again.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never saw any of the Lord of the Ring movies. I am not a fan of old books being made into movies. I'm kind of ...snobbish...that way.
Seeing movies like that kinda ruins the books, doesn't it?  Good for you boycotting the movies.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I read the hobbit and the rest in my 20's. I probably wouldn't be able to read it again.
I'm with you on that!!!

Seeing movies like that kinda ruins the books, doesn't it?  Good for you boycotting the movies.
Some movies ruin books, some make wonderful stories out of turgid reading matter - Merchant Ivory movies like Passage to India comes to mind!  I tried reading that once and gave up very quickly! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love merchant ivory especially when it's about India during the time of the raj.
I couldn't read the scarlet letter and certainly didn't think much of the film. I think I've got to the stage in my life of only reading novels and nothing highbrow.
I've started to read a book called The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld. Never heard of him. It may be a book my sister passed on to me. It's a bit weird but I've only just started it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For me it was the opposite.

Earlier I said I started with The Hobbit, but it was actually The Fellowship of the Rings.  I didn't know what a Hobbit was. I couldn't relate to the description of the surroundings. I just couldn't get a picture in my mind about what I was reading.

It was only after I watched the movies, that I was able to get through the books, and totally enjoyed them.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love merchant ivory especially when it's about India during the time of the raj.
I couldn't read the scarlet letter and certainly didn't think much of the film. I think I've got to the stage in my life of only reading novels and nothing highbrow.
I've started to read a book called The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld. Never heard of him. It may be a book my sister passed on to me. It's a bit weird but I've only just started it.
Once you get past The Scarlett Letter's introduction it isn't very "highbrow" at all. I was surprised at how novelly it actually was, as I was expecting something a bit more "scholarly".

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm almost finished Catherine Coulter's latest book.  After that I'm going to read  "A House in the Sky".

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...etails-of-abuse-ransom-in-book-220102301.html

This book takes you on a journey of tears and hope.  It is well written, well organized and well told. It gives an excellent insight into the struggles that were going on in various countries at the time, especially Somalia and the power struggles between factions and governments.

Amanda truly opens up about her experience, and as horrifying as it was, she projected strength and hope. What a truly remarkable woman. This book is worth the money and the time.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you get past The Scarlett Letter's introduction it isn't very "highbrow" at all. I was surprised at how novelly it actually was, as I was expecting something a bit more "scholarly".
It wasn't that. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the subject matter.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Ann Hood's The Knitting Circle. Hood is a compelling story teller. I bawled my head off, but I think I was crying less about the story and more about the fact that I was finished with the book and feel like I just lost a handful of best friends. Wow. I've finished all three of hers I got out of the library and now have to wait for the rest to come in.

Don't know what I will read now, though I do have several more library books to choose from...

Maybe I'll just go back to Marjorie Morningstar for a little while.
I tried to order books ny Anne hood but there aren't any. I'll try another book shop and if they don't then there aren't any in my country unless in 2nd hand book shops.
I'm still reading The Death Instinct. I'm enjoying it but it's a slow read. It works its way around the new York bombing in 1920 in wall Street.

thelifeofzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm currently finishing up a series by R.A Salvatore titled The Legend of Drizzt , like 13+ books, more than half way done.

Still have to catch up on a series by Naomi Novik, about a dragon named Temeraire.

And finally last on my list is to read the third book from the series The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo , very much enjoyed the movie as well.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had little time for reading lately. I did manage to open Ian Rankin's "Standing in Another Man's Grave" on my Kindle. It's the latest of his John Rebus murder mysteries and quite good.
Two more weeks till my new Kindle is delivered!

Status
Not open for further replies.