What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just finished The Abandoned by Paul Gallico for about the thousandth time. Every cat lover should read it, if you can find a copy. I think it's out of print. Paul Gallico also wrote Thomasina.

I need to go to the library!
He also wrote The Manx Mouse and The Boy Who Invented The Bubble Gun. I have the Bubble Gun book, but the Manx Mouse is impossible to find.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

He also wrote The Manx Mouse and The Boy Who Invented The Bubble Gun. I have the Bubble Gun book, but the Manx Mouse is impossible to find.
... and The Silent Miaw - an instruction manual written by cats for kittens which I think is still in print, and The Man Who Was Magic which is a lovely tale about one man, his dog, and the magic that happens around them - one of my favourite books from childhood but sadly rarely seen and less well known than his other books.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished House of Horrors: The Shocking True Story of Anthony Sowell, the Cleveland Strangler, by Robert Sberna. It's incredible that he got away with killing those women and stashing them in and around his house.

Now I'm about halfway through A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life, by James Bowen, which is very entertaining.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

... and The Silent Miaw - an instruction manual written by cats for kittens which I think is still in print, and The Man Who Was Magic which is a lovely tale about one man, his dog, and the magic that happens around them - one of my favourite books from childhood but sadly rarely seen and less well known than his other books.  
I just looked on Amazon, and they have 60 pages of Paul Gallico books, including Manxmouse and The Silent Miaow.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I just looked on Amazon, and they have 60 pages of Paul Gallico books, including Manxmouse and The Silent Miaow.
You're in luck!  Going to got for the Manx  Mouse?  I can recommend The Silent Miaow. It's full of serious information to help people understand cats but in the  fun way of an experienced cat instructing kittens and cats less wise to human ways, like getting us humans to do what they want, take over our beds and chairs,  getting the food they want and not what we want to give them, and coping with vet visits. Nice photos too.  

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@natalie_c. How many books do you read at the same time? I don't like short stories. I like to get into a book. Mind youJJeffery Archer's short stories were good and his books are even better. Has anyone read any of his books?
I usually only read 1 book at a time.  But the Joel Osteen book is a chapter a day, daily read.  And Dr. Phil's book is psychological, and not something I can read for any length of time, so I read a chapter or 2 every so often.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're in luck!  Going to got for the Manx  Mouse?  I can recommend The Silent Miaow. It's full of serious information to help people understand cats but in the  fun way of an experienced cat instructing kittens and cats less wise to human ways, like getting us humans to do what they want, take over our beds and chairs,  getting the food they want and not what we want to give them, and coping with vet visits. Nice photos too.  

Yes, I am going to order some NOW l-lysine and will buy the book to make up a $25 order, so I can get free shipping. OOPS, the book is not eligible for free shipping.

Charlies Chapters Books there in the UK has a copy of it, if you need one.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually keep a few books going at a time.  The Cider House Rules, but John Irving (loved the movie, years later I'm getting around to the book).  Also, Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century by Janet and Colin Bond.  I like cryptozoology and such, so it's a fun book for me.  

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh. Marjorie Morningstar. Long time since I heard that name. Are you enjoying it or is it dated?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Cider House Rules the film about the orphanage with Michael Caine? I'm interested to know how it is although I'm not mad about John Irving.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not too mad about Dr. Phil. These people going up and airing their problems in front of the world. That's embarrassing. Almost like the gross Jerry Stringer but of course not soooo bad. He irritates me and his wife. Oh well. One man's meat etc. right?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh. Marjorie Morningstar. Long time since I heard that name. Are you enjoying it or is it dated?
Oh I love it. I've only read it about a hundred times. :lol3:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have read it twice. (My cats are making a dreadful noise in the sitting room. Wonder what they're up to. It can wait until tomorrow). I've become quite a prude! In the last 50 + years. I can't even bear to watch kissing on tv or films. Sex? Forget it. Remind me what's it about.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the Cider House Rules the film about the orphanage with Michael Caine? I'm interested to know how it is although I'm not mad about John Irving.
Yes, it is.  It's a very good book, and I've never been much on John Irving, either.

I've ordered the new Stephen King book...the sequel to The Shining...and I can't wait until it gets here.  I'm predicting to finish it in a day or two, if it arrives over the weekend.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shining terrified me and the film stunk. I'm reading a book by Dick Francis and his son about horses. That's what he writes his novels about having been a jockey. His books are always who dunnits. How can 2 people write a book together? The book is called Crossfire but it's not as good as his previous ones. My next book will be The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I loved Dick Francis's books and agree that Crossfire wasn't as good as the others. His son has another book out, but I haven't read it.

The Kingmaker's Daughter was good. Have you seen The White Queen TV mini-series? It's based on The White Queen, The Red Queen and The Kingmaker's Daughter. There's another one about Jacquetta Woodville called The Lady of the Rivers.

I haven't read the fifth in the series yet, The White Princess, about Elizabeth of York, the daughter of Edward IV and wife of Henry VII. I'm waiting for the price to come down.

I'm currently reading "The Women of the Cousins' War: The Real White Queen and Her Rivals", a collection of biographies of Jacquetta Woodville (the "white queen's" mother), Elizabeth Woodville (the "white queen"), and Margaret Beaufort (the "red queen") by Philippa Gregory, David Baldwin and Michael Jones.

I've just finished two "cat mysteries": Ali Brandon's "A Novel Way to Die" and Sofie Kelly's "Final Catcall".

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.  So far, it's been a bit scary.  I am going to order The Sheep Look Up as soon as I find a reasonably priced copy.  I think it's out of print.

Status
Not open for further replies.