What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now I'm reading a science fiction book called "2312" it's a bit slow but interesting none the less. It has some insanely complex words that are outside my realm of knowledge which can be annoying but I'm getting through it okay lol. Half way through!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still working on John Grisham's novels.  I am currently reading "The Litigators".  I think I have 1 or 2 more after that and then I'm caught up with all of his novels. I started around June 16th and since then I've read 23 of his books.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's been a while since I was in here.......

From the library on my Nook:

Inferno - Dan Brown

Tell Me - Lisa Jackson

The Descendants - Kaui Hart Hemmings

The Spy - Clive Cussler

Yesterdays Echo - Matt Coyle

I downloaded over 100 free books to my Nook over this past weekend. Some interesting reading material, but much of it really isn't that great.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked up I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson from the library.  Another one of his famous characters. 

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Derick Longden. You must find the rest of his books. Do you want the names of them?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading a book called Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It is about 2 different times in the 20th and 21st centuries. One chapter is about a child called Sarah who was rounded up with her parents etc during the 1942 round up of the Jews in Paris by the French and what happens to her. The next chapter is in 2002 about an American woman who lives in Paris and is a journalist told to write about the events and what she learned. I thought I would not be able to read it but I'm swallowing it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have said it goes one chapter about Sarah and the other about the woman etc.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to read "Mistress" by James Patterson. I couldn't do it.!!!

I use an eReader and managed to read 9% of the book.  I couldn't suffer through anymore, so I skipped ahead to the last 10 or 15 pages at the end.

Probably the worst book I've even tried to read next to "War and Peace!"

I'm changing gears a bit. I'm going to start Dr. Phil's "Life Code".  My cousin read it and says it's pretty educational.

I start my French class next week, so my fun reading time will be seriously limited. I want to get my French fluency back, so I plan to spend much time reviewing material.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the Palestinian doctor, that was a terrible accident if I remember. He came back to Israel to carry on working in the hospital.
I finished Sarah's Key at 5am this morning. I hadn't been able to put it down. I cried a lot. I'm about to start Vanish by Tess Gerritsen - Rizzoli and Isles. I read constantly. I have a book with me all the time. I'm eclectic. I like history, spy, light books after I've finished something heavy or nasty. I love the Tudor and Stuart booksstarted reading lippa - I'm sorry I've forgotten the rest of her name. I've become very forgetful in my old age. Jonathan Kellerman and his wife. I started reading at the age of 7 andhhaven't stopped since.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm getting ready to read "Brave Story" by Miyuki Miyabe. It's a young adult book but it's 820 pages so it should take me a week or so to finish it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading 4 books!!!

1. Joel Osteen's  "I Declare"   (one chapter per day)

2. Dr. Phil's  "Life Code"

3. Joel Osteen's  "Become a Better You"

4. Will Ferguson's  "419"

I Declare:

It is a religious book, and I'm not a religious person, but because I think Joel Osteen is a very positive individual, I figured I'd give it a read

Life Code:

We can all improve ourselves and often we live our lives out of habit. This book is supposed to help you break the cycle.
Unfortunately I'm almost at page 30 and he's still rambling on about why he wrote the book, and what he plans on teaching me.  In a nutshell, he's doing a whole lot of talking and not saying a whole lot, other than how smart  he is.  Really, he compliments himself a lot!!!  lol

Become a Better You:

Again, a religious book meant to bring you closer to God.  But it's also a book on positive thinking. So far it's a good read.

419:

About a man who commits suicide because he got involved and taken to the cleaners through a "419" (area code)  Nigerian scam. And his daughter sets out to find the person behind the emails, in Nigeria.  It kind of rambles.  Currently a character was introduced out of no where. We start reading about her as she is walking through the desert.  I have no idea where she fits in yet.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started reading a book called The Mesmerist by Barbara Ewing. It's interesting but it's taking me time to get into it. Not like the last book I read.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@kitten. A fur trapper? Killing an animal for its fur! Do people still wear fur?
@natalie_ca. I read war and peace 42 years ago when I was in hospital after I'd given birth to my son. In those days we stayed in hospital for 4 days with the baby brought for feeding. A good rest.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

419:

About a man who commits suicide because he got involved and taken to the cleaners through a "419" (area code)  Nigerian scam. And his daughter sets out to find the person behind the emails, in Nigeria.  It kind of rambles.  Currently a character was introduced out of no where. We start reading about her as she is walking through the desert.  I have no idea where she fits in yet.
FINALLY!!  After about 200 pages of first one character (as talked about above), and another character with what is a completely different story, yet again being introduced completely out of no where, the author ties them together!   Still have no clue how those 2 characters fit in with the characters first introduced though, and there are only about 60 pages left in the book.

Good story idea, but really badly organized.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished the Mesmerist. It was hard going at first but then I started to get into it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez! Finally finished "419".  It's the kind of book you have to read twice. Not because it's so good, but because it's so confusing! LOL  I won't be reading it a second time though. Too disorganized for me.

I'm reading the latest book by Lee Child.  Sorry, I forgot the name of it.  But as with all of his books, I'm absolutely loving it. It's the latest "Jack Reacher" novel.  If you want to read it, I recommend starting with the first book in his series. Because he tends to bring up things from past books from time to time.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l've since read a short story by Lee Child and am working on Catherine Coulter's "The Final Cut."  About 1/3 through. Still reading Joel Osteen and Dr. Phil's books.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading a book called Bible of the Dead by Tom Knox. It's mostly about Cambodia after the Khmer Rouge. Things were still bad and this is a slightly strange book but I'm enjoying it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@natalie_c. How many books do you read at the same time? I don't like short stories. I like to get into a book. Mind youJJeffery Archer's short stories were good and his books are even better. Has anyone read any of his books?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished The Abandoned by Paul Gallico for about the thousandth time. Every cat lover should read it, if you can find a copy. I think it's out of print. Paul Gallico also wrote Thomasina.

Now re-reading Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk. I first started Youngblood Hawke by the same author but a few chapters into it I remembered how depressing it becomes and the ending is awful so I abandoned that for the more cheerful Marjorie.

I need to go to the library!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.