We've taken on a new cat - Tigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Master Tigger needs hopes and is so inclined, prayers. DW and son noticed he is having problems with his back legs. DW called the vet and they advised taking him the the emergency vet. She is headed there now and will wait there until I get off work. I didn't let her finish her question if she should wait for me to get home. I ordered, if you can say that term, to get him there as quickly as possible. I have to wait an hour till I get the shift change over.

Master Tigger is 19 years old, with failing kidneys and I felt a stab in my heart when DW told me what's going on. I'll try to keep you all posted

%^(

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no! Master Tigger! My thoughts are with all of you. Please keep us posted with updates on how he is doing.

Robin

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on Master Tigger:

My master is home, after having received full exams by several vets. Internal Med, Neurology and such.

His cage had a large sign that indicated Master Tigger should be handled with extreme caution since he would take arms/hands/legs off if not properly approached or handled. Master Tigger does NOT like evil vets. When his slaves are present, his attitude is much different and he will allow exams and such when we are there to reassure him and give him the love and attention he expects.

Evil vets and technicians were appreciative of our attendance when possible (most of the time)

X-rays, ultrasound and other exams did not reveal the reason for his behavior, i.e. walking on his hocks vice feet (the area from his leg joint down to his feet) in the manner of a drunken sailor or such. Lack of urination also is occurring.

It is most likely pressure being placed on the nerves that come out of the end of the spine, called a horses tail nerve bundle for a reason known only to some obscure medical related person locked in a small room and fed only when medical terms that are strange or unknown to the general public and will confuse or discombobulate us are created. Pressure on the nerves from a possible injury or disc bulge or spine pressing on nerve is also possible. Master Tigger is 19 years old and just be falling apart. Sigh

Master Tigger was given some pain killers, and a steroid injection. DW and I were instructed in how to massage his lower body and rear to cause Master Tigger to urinate. Master Tigger objects somewhat, but allows this to happen. The evil vet and vet personnel were amazed at how he will allow us to handle him in this fashion. One and all told us that he must love us greatly. (Master Tigger agreed and let them know rather loudly). DW and I were given pills that we must administer daily and we brought him home.

Maser Tigger is happy to be home. We all hope his condition improves and we receive calls from several vets daily asking for updates. Normal vets and those who treated him at the emergency vet clinic asking did warm the heart of Master Tigger somewhat, but he did allow some displeasure of them to show through. Mostly happy, but not completely.

I don't seem to have the "express his bladder" skills the DW has, but Master Tigger allows me and tells me that I could use further training. I try and give it my best. I think that DW, being his primary slave and whom he loves most is permitted the most leeway on doing strange things to him, i.e. nail cutting and such. I'm allowed to cut one nail and that is all. DW can get one foot per cutting. Oh well

Thank you, one and all for your well wishes and I'll post news as often as I can.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Would you please allow me to drink from the masters watering station?" Master Tigger asked

"Me too!" Master Shadow chimed in

"I'll allow those other two four legged dog lovers to drink before me!" Master Charlie uttered

whereupon Shadow and Maser Tigger cuffed him in a friendly fashion...

I could hear Master Charlie chuckle under the pile of legs, paws and multiple bodies rolling around.

Master Tigger didn't display his normal agility but he was giving it his best effort, which was a pretty good display of improvement.

Master Tigger still complains of the urine express but we've also discovered that he's starting to demonstrate that he is able to function normally in this aspect. Walking is improving some also.

Our hopes are remain high

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Master Tigger has been referred to as the "Wonder Kitty" by all the vets who call and inquire about his condition.

Master Tigger is walking on his feet, albeit somewhat unstable. His tail drags. Jumping to the master’s workstation is difficult as he prefers to NOT use the stairway we have built for him. We must still express his urine, but it appears that he is doing more and more on his own.

Master Tigger woke me up in the afternoon. I have the night shift for a few days. Master Tigger curled up on my chest as I was sleeping on my side. I suppose he was cold, as DW calls me a little furnace. Since I flop around and move when I sleep, Master Tigger figured that I was interrupting his work habit and he moved to the pillow next to me. His tail would strike my face from time to time.

I "Think" I heard him giggle but I was drifting in and out of sleep. When I did awaken, I was almost surrounded by masters. Masters at my head, feet and tummy (on a pillow)

I believe that they are now planning nasty cat tricks upon my person since I interrupted all three working masters.

I'll keep one and all posted on Master Tigger and any trick or prank imposed upon me.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Master Tigger has regained "almost" full control of his body. His rear leg walking does look a bit awkward, but nonetheless he can walk. Tail function has not yet returned and is dragged behind him and I don't believe he has feeling in this department.

We have noticed that his bowel function is not always contained within his sand box, but as I was walking down the hall in my bare feet, I happened to step such.

I may not be sure, but I think I heard a very faint giggle from Master Tigger. I must learn to pay more attention to where I place my walking.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been awhile since I posted about my Master Tigger, but my resaon for not doing so is that I have major back surgery. Made life diffictult to talk, let alone type messages when on high levels of pain killers.

Master Tigger is doing well, but we think he's near to crossing over ther Rainbow Bridge. He has lost feeling in about half his tail and walking is difficult. He normally like to drink out of a sink, so I put a plastic glass in the sink and let the water flow into the glass. The level of the glass is almost at his neck level so he has found that drinking is much easier. He demands more water though, as we have stopped the every other day injection of water. Master Tigger was starting to complain and fight having the needle placed into him. More trips to the watering station.

His eating has become more difficult. A freshly roasted chicken, cut into little pieces has worked for the last week, but now he wants other kinds of meat. We all let him try what people food is being eaten to see if he'll jump on it like he did the chicken. We're going to try steak, hamburgers and other meats/fish. Whatever will work will be done.

I tried a heating pad, under a light quilt and he LOVED it so we''re going to buy a heating hutch for him. It will be pressure activated and set to levels cats like so we'll not hurt him with a people heating pad. A 19 yr. old, almost 20 year old Master wants his warmth in the winter. Can't blame him because I like being warm in the winter.

That's about the latest, but I'll post more often.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your back surgery :eek:hno: Glad you are on the mend :). AND sorry to hear Master Tigger is not doing so great :(. I know how you feel about trying to get them to eat anything, and it can be different day to day. I have an ill older dog, and what he likes on one day, he will totally refuse the next. :confused:. Loads of vibes coming out to Tigger :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're doing well since back surgery. But I am sad to read about Tigger. Sending
 that he'll be OK.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Master Tigger is moving slower. Not bad, considering he's somewhere in the 97 yr. old age group for a human. He's also astounded all of us for several reasons.

1. For the last 10 years, he's tried to rip out the throat of Master Laptop whenever he's seen him.

That's why we've had Master Tigger downstairs in a special room when we let Master Laptop up to control his slaves. When Master Tigger is upstairs, Master Laptop is downstairs.

Somehow, Master Laptop was let up.

Master Tigger was on the workstation, laying upon his primary slaves legs.

Master Laptop jumped up on the workstation, and we expected a slaughter to  occur.

To our amazement and surprise, Master Tigger bristled just smidge and settled down when petted and being talked to by his primary slave. I petted Master Laptop.

Master Laptop finally assumed the meatloaf posisition about 6 inches from Master Tigger. Both started work - or seemed to as little slits of eyelids were left open by both. 10 minutes later some purring was heard.

Now, when Master Laptop is on the workstation, if he gets near the area where we have the heating pad that Master Tigger uses, Master Tigger will tell Master Laptop that this spot is his.He will not growl, attack or hiss. Just a gentle reminder to him that he has his special place to work. When Master Tigger takes a break from working, and goes to get a drink or eat or try to convince a slave that he is starving for attention or food, we will find another master using the special spot. When Master Tigger returns, Master Tigger will thank him for keeping the area heated for him and curl up when they leave the special spot.

There have been times when Master Shadow Ram has started to try to push Master Tigger around to bully him (typical I'm going to be the new alpha now syndrome) we put a stop to the abuse, but nature is trying take it's course. sigh

I do hear comments from Master Tigger that Shadow has a drinking problem at the master bedroom suite watering station. It seem that Master Shadow can't drink out of the cup when water is running.A full cup of water with NO water running he can.

Thus the chortles and laughter from Master Tigger when he chides Shadow.

We slaves find it interesting and amusing, but don't discuss it within hearing of Shadow.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear about Master Tigger's recent decline [even tho it's to be expected, given his advanced age].
my senior's not there yet [she's 14 now] but i complete understand & sympathize w/you & yours. hopefully, Master Tigger will stay w/us a while longer - i love reading about his exploits!

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is my sad duty to report that we let Master Tigger cross the Rainbow Bridge at 2:45 this afternoon. 7 years of fighting kidney disease and that he was in his 20th year made it too hard for him. Spinal problems did not let him walk or run as he normally did and he was unable to move his tail. He was also incontinent. These are all of our major indicators that we should consider the Rainbow Bridge.

I held him on the way to the process, and he only cried twice. The rest of the time he was looking around at the world.Alert and attentive, but unable to physically cope.

Master Tigger was dignified and now with all our others who have crossed before him. He was the oldest and ruled until the end.

I don't remember when I started this thread about my Master Tigger but my other masters will decide if I should continue. My darling wife, son and I wanted to pass along to all those who read this thread that we thank you and appreciate the attention of our Master Tigger.

Felton

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in tears right now! I have followed this thread from almost beginning and I had so hoped that Master Tigger would pull through. My condolences to you, your family and the other masters.

Run free and happy over the bridge, Tigger. Say hi to my girl, Kiki and tell her that her meowmy still misses her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.