Well tinker is in labor

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

you know what's funny? Wilbur isn't a problem. he's stopped worrying over them so much, and sometimes when tinker moves them, she takes them to where he's sleeping and puts them in his stomach. like she's trying to get him to feed them.
Maybe she is telling him, you did this now help with the kids

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How are your babies doing? Have you gotten any sleep yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

How are your babies doing? Have you gotten any sleep yet?
Sleep? What's that?

Originally Posted by psjauntie

How are the babies today?
The babies are doing fine. But Tinker has all but given up. She just didn't take to it. she doesn't sit still long enough to feed them anymore, so i've put them on KMR. It wasn't easy to get them switched but it was right at 2 days after birth, so according to what i've read, it should be ok. it's always better to have them feed from mom at least 2 days.

I still try to get tinker to feed them, but i don't want to mix things up so I'm giving up on that.

She's moving them around much more now too. It's REALLY frustrating because she does it right after i get them to sleep. So she wakes them up, gets them cold again and it's strange how she does it now. she takes one out, always a different one. And puts him in the middle of the floor somewhere. Then cuddles him a little. leaving the other two alone, crying.

I don't think i'll get much sleep for awhile but it's worth it to keep them healthy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry to hear that Tinker isn't taking to motherhood. I must have gotten really lucky with Goldy. I brought her into the house with two resident females, no slow introductions (what did I know?). I'm estimating her age at 8-9 months when she gave birth. She only bit through the first baby's cord and ate the placenta, so I had to cut the cords on the other two. Beyond that, she was a wonderful mother, didn't really need my help at all. Which was a good thing since I'm gone 14-15 hours at a time when I go to work.

I sure couldn't have done the bottle feeding the way you are. I know your mother can't help with the cats because of her allergies, but is there anyone else close by who could give you a break once in a while?

Keep up the good work.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say, bless your heart for all you are doing for momma and her babies. I do believe our pets know when we are helping them and are thankful for it. Women aren't meant to be momma's at a young age--furry or human, I know its through no fault of your own, so give Tinker the benefit of the doubt, she tried!

Leslie

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww sorry you and Tink are having a hard go of things.....I have only had 2 cats give birth ...and they both basicly did everything....I guess some just don't take to being a mom....I hope she comes around soon enough....Or you can get some help after the holidays are over....

Nancy
http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Wow I just looked up hand rearing kittens.....looks like alot of work....for at least 3 weeks...Do u have someone who can help you or even take one of the kittens ? Anyone of this board live close enough to lend a hand ?
I just thought of something....do you have a heating pad or electric blanket ? That will work to keep them warm

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm really sorry to hear you're having a hard time once again. Poor babies, and poor Tinker! I'm lucky when Cassie gave birth at a young age, her instincts were strong enough to help her take good care of her little ones.

Suggestion: Since Tinker isn't bothering to feed them anymore, but is doing more harm than good by moving them around, keep them away from her altogether. Put them in a little box, maybe with a furry toy to cuddle/cling on. That seems to comfort them. Line the bottom with blankets that are thick enough to prevent the babies from boiling and put something warm underneath (like a hot water bottle). An alternative that I can think of since you don't have a hot water bottle, is a nice warm lamp to warm up the whole box. Line the box with newspapers, it is an excellent heat insulator so says my vet. Feed them once every hour, stimulate their pee and poop before and after every meal. Don't let Tink get to them, they just cannot keep getting cold!

Congrats, you're now a full-time handson grandpa! Keep up the good work, we're all rooting for you

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used rice socks for keeping my orphans warm. Fill a sock with dry uncooked rice and tie the end. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Make a couple so you can have one ready to rotate. I put a cloth over the socks to disperse the heat and not be too warm. My kittens would crawl up the towel that was draped over the rice sock and sleep on top.

Have you looked here? http://www.kitten-rescue.com/ Developed by TCS webmaster and two mega experienced rescuers (hissy for one).

The best orphan kitten info I found.

KMR was expensive here and one of mine had a sensitive stomach on KMR. I switched to 'Just Born' brand and it was much cheaper and much easier on the stomach. Found it at Walmart. Comes highly recommended by many.

I know you are exhausted. Hang in there!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, I don't want people feeling sorry for me because of the work. I do realize it's a lot of work. Remember I raised Tinker and wilbur on the bottle from like 1.5 weeks. feeding every 2 hours, stimulating them, etc. after about a week you get into a groove and it becomes easy. Plus let's face it, the reward is a hundred times more powerful than the work is dreadful. well except for tinker farts after eating tuna. That gets bad in this small room.

We're getting through it.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

Awww sorry you and Tink are having a hard go of things.....I have only had 2 cats give birth ...and they both basicly did everything....I guess some just don't take to being a mom....I hope she comes around soon enough....Or you can get some help after the holidays are over....

Nancy
http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Wow I just looked up hand rearing kittens.....looks like alot of work....for at least 3 weeks...Do u have someone who can help you or even take one of the kittens ? Anyone of this board live close enough to lend a hand ?
I just thought of something....do you have a heating pad or electric blanket ? That will work to keep them warm
You know, I can not evern imagine things if Madonna had been like this. oh my god. 7 kittens?

She was the perfect mom cat. I simply left her alone for the first two weeks, until the kittens eye's opened and they began to move around without doing the breast stroke. I mean all I had to do was feed madonna and clean her box. She did everything else and was a fantastic mom. When she first had her litter she didn't come out of the box for 2 days. I ended up feeding her by holding the bowl next to her while she laid there feeding the kidlets.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't feel sorry for you - we just know we'd all do it if we had to and would then expect YOUR support... duh!

I think BabyWukong is right though you probably should keep them away from Tinker if all she's doing is moving them around. They're so small yet, maybe you could make them a warm bed inside one of the carriers you used to bring Tinker and Wilbur home? Then Tink could still see and smell them, but not move them around and let them get cold?

Just a thought. I will once again mention I know nothing about kittens!

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I am new to this site but not new to owning cats.....so I am not totally aware of everyone's situations....but from what I have been reading...sounds like those little babies are in great hands.....

Nancy

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing SUCH an amazing job! The fact that they're still alive is a credit to you! I know you're exhausted and frustrated, especially after all you've been through, but hang in there, you'll be fine.

New mothers of human kids nap whenever the kids do - I think you need to be doing everything to do the same if you're not already.

Keep up the good work

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi fastnoc!

Sorry I haven't been on since the first page.

I'm glad to hear you've got some live babies. I think part of the problem would probably be that first contact with Wilbur - I know it's cute but Mumma's are so protective. My kittens will be four weeks old tomorrow and they've just been introduced to the other cats.

I think you're doing a great job however, I envy you. In my 11 years of breeding I've never had to bottle feed, just supplement.

I love the pics too!

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Awww. Kittens on my birthday! Congratulations!
Happy belated birthday! Those kittens are adorable. Your a grand meowmy now. How wonderful.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've had quite a rough ride with all of this, haven't you?

Sending some "hang in there" to you.

I do agree that you could keep Tink away from the litter totally, if you intend to keep bottle feeding them 100% of the time. And that part does get a bit easier, because as they grow, the frequency will become less for you, and they do grasp independence quickly with each week that goes by.

You're doing a fantastic job. It isn't everyone that can hand-raise kittens, and so far so good!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a problem there though. I'd love to separate them, but i'm confined to one bedroom here. There's really nowhere to put either of them. I'll just have to keep working on it.