Well tinker is in labor

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you still have any of the sedative you used when you transported them, or was that a single dose? If you have some left maybe you could give Wilbur a little, just enough to help him sleep so you can get some sleep as well.

Would it work to have Wilbur on the bed with you while the kittens are nursing? Just keep him on one side of you and the kittens on the other side so he isn't in direct contact with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't pay that. and i'll be ok.

I'd have to pay if it wasn't already provided anyway. that's the only way I can make money for the time being (doing web contract work)

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Do you still have any of the sedative you used when you transported them, or was that a single dose? If you have some left maybe you could give Wilbur a little, just enough to help him sleep so you can get some sleep as well.

Would it work to have Wilbur on the bed with you while the kittens are nursing? Just keep him on one side of you and the kittens on the other side so he isn't in direct contact with them.
hmm. yeah i do have two more pills. I can't give them to tinker though right? since shes nursing? That is a fantastic idea though to calm wilbur down. Thanks!

Tinker doesn't mind wilbur being on the bed while she nurses. We're sort of getting it worked out a little.

When the babies are under the bed they're fine. when they start crying, tinker picks one up and brings it to me. I grab the other two, and go sit on the bed. Tinker jumps up right away and climbs into my lap and lays on her side. I position the kittens and once they're all eating i put the covers over them. then tinker lays her head in my hand and goes to sleep. seems to be lasting about 20 minutes. Then i get up and push a pillow up behind her to support her.

I also noticed the stimulated them! so it looks like we're all going to get through it..

Cross your fingers.
Originally Posted by abbycats

I hope all is well and your kittens make it.
I think we're all working it out now. just a struggle to get things established.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear your all working it out ....Maybe mamma just need to get herself on a routine....and some adjusting time ....Hope it keeps going smoothly from now on

Nancy

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah. I think some people here hit the nail on the head though. I think WIlbur being around, and getting too excited made her uncomfortable. She's relying on me to get them to stop crying, but that's ok with me. Just won't get much sleep for a couple weeks
. fair trade let me tell ya.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any advice, but lots of for you and your babies and thier babies.
With any luck she's just a little slow to get the hang of things. I'm really glad to hear she's getting them on a routine, though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I've called and left a message with them for the manager to call. but frankly that's not a priority right now compared to keeping the kittens alive. I don't have time to start going through that right now.
... but in the meantime, they can wire you money, at the very least to make sure these kittens are taken care of. Whether you need, KMR, kitten food for Tinker, a crate to keep Wilbur separated, rice to keep them warm, medical emergency attention.
You wont be 'going crazy' trying to figure out how you are going to do things to help them survive and help keep Tink and Wilbur stress free.

On top of Tinker going into heat again, with Wilbur just being neutered thats a huge possibility. My cat went into heat a few days after giving birth. You wont sleep for days. That will certainly stress you, Tinker, Wilbur and the kittens.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

... but in the meantime, they can wire you money, at the very least to make sure these kittens are taken care of.
I know you have a lot on with the kittens etc... but i would have knocked doors through windows with them as soon as i realised she was pregnant. They would have been the first people i would have contacted because i would have been so mad!.

Tinkers still a baby herself to have babies of her own

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I'm mad believe me. I called again and got no answer.

At the point I responded though i hadn't had time. I don't think it's real clear here but from 10pm until about 3 hours ago I was completely engrossed in the kittens. i didn't get 10 minutes rest during that time. I just fell asleep while helping tinker feed them.

Anyway here's a picture

Also, at some point Tinker went back under the bed and gave birth to another kitten. but I didn't know about it. So i don't konw if it was stillborn or not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, is this 4th baby alive??
Oh my God - you have been an amazing daddy/grandpa! Way to go!!!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it was dead. I didn't see it until today.

and I don't think i'm much of a dad, i did a pretty crappy job of this. and even with all the great suggestions here i barely made it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might ahve had the dead one today.
Coco had 3 kittens the 12 hours later 2 dead ones.
Its not your fault.
Maybe the stupid vet cut her then did nothing else.
If a vet ever did that to one of my cats they would not get away with it.
Coco once went to a very bad vet and I reported them.
They are shut down now and the owner is in jail.
They told me she had lung cancer when it was asthma with a terrible uri.
Is she still being a bad mom?
My Coco was a great mom.
She even took care of Yoshi because Meeko was not a very good mom.
Its been almost 7 years now.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
...But you guys did make it, and I think that's what counts.

You're a great dad to your kitties - It's really been amazing to see the lengths you've been going to for them and I'm sure they appreciate it. I also think that Tinker would beg to differ on your dad abilities...and she's proving it by bringing you her kittens. I think that speaks volumes for her trust in you and I've always figured cats are an excellent judge of character. Once you guys all get some good rest and into a decent routine, I'm sure things will be looking brighter.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are NOT a bad dad! You have done everything you possibly could to make sure she is taking care of those kittens. The last little one may have been born dead. Don't be so hard on yourself and try and get some sleep. for you all!

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was telling my husband this story about you fastnoc, and I was saying that it was pretty awesome that a guy would put so much effort into this situation. He said, and you don't think I would? I said of course you would, but not all guys have soft hearts and those who do, go ALL THE WAY! You went above and beyond.

I think you have done everything in your power to help your Tinker and her newborns and I think that you asked all of the right questions, followed the advice posted, and did ALL the right things. Continue with the excellent work, love and devotion and Tinker will forever be YOURS.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

No it was dead. I didn't see it until today.

and I don't think i'm much of a dad, i did a pretty crappy job of this. and even with all the great suggestions here i barely made it.
Nope - don't start blaming yourself now.... not your fault! You are doing a fantastic job!

Keep it up!!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done an awesome job, Looking after Tink and the babies
. The baby was probably stillborn. You are in a difficult position, and you have made the best of it. Tink is very lucky to have you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i was out of town, & missed all the excitement - but on the 3 babies & a
for the one that didn't make it.
you're doing a GREAT job, btw - especially since you were basically blindsided by this!