Weight Loss Support for the Humans

ownedbygizmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I'm taking a deep breath right now...and I'm gonna say it...I'm 5'3" and about 175 pounds depending on if I'm bloated or not. I've always had a problem with carrying around extra weight since I was in high school. There is also a history of diabetes and heart problems in my family which is the motivation for trying to be healthier.

Recently, I accepted a part time job tutoring college students who have special needs at the local community college. The college is about a 25 minute walk from my apartment. I work three days a week there along with substitute teaching so I usually get a ride with my husband then walk back home after I am done work. Also I walk to run my errands and to visit friends when ever possible because I do not have a car. I was going to a gym a few months before my wedding to fit into my dress better and lost only 5 pounds. The dress fit alright but the lack of weight loss caused my motivation to lag. I had gone for about four months at least 4 days per week along with cutting out alot of junk food, alcohol and cutting back on calories.

I recently stopped smoking cigarettes (about more than a month since I had one) and started to drink more water. I'm also trying to cut back on my intake of alcohol...not a heavy drinker but probably about 3-7 glasses of wine or 2-4 beer per week usually with a meal. I eat three meals a day and started to stop eating once I feel physically satisfied. My fridge is stocked with yogurt, washed and cut fresh vegtables and fruit if I want a snack.

Is there anything out that at any of you has tried which you found has worked? I'm not someone who is into fad diets or using diet pills. They haven't worked for me in the past and perhaps healthy eating is my best bet. What is your favourite form of exercise that gets you motivated to get moving? I love to go for brisk walks and to go out dancing.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats and Good Luck Everybody!

Well, after a week and a half or so of portion change and walking I have lost 2 pounds!!!

Not a lot, but a step in the right direction!!!!

I'm not a huge sports fan, but my SO drug me to racquetball a couple times and it is starting to grow on me
Hopefully playing will really help me. He likes to jog on his way to the gym, but I am SOOOO out of shape, I can't even jog a block!
So, that is out of the question

I'm so proud of everybody! Keep it up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ownedbygizmo

Is there anything out that at any of you has tried which you found has worked? I'm not someone who is into fad diets or using diet pills. They haven't worked for me in the past and perhaps healthy eating is my best bet. What is your favourite form of exercise that gets you motivated to get moving? I love to go for brisk walks and to go out dancing.
One of the things that I've heard works really well is just taking one habit at a time and changing it. It's not the way to fast weight loss, but as I've been told (and unfortunately it's true) we didn't put it on overnight so realistically, we're not going to take it off overnight. Anyway.. say if you're bad about potato chips, change that to a healthier choice, like eating baked potato chips instead, or eating pretzels instead of chips. Make a small change that's healthier. When you've gotten into that habit, after a few weeks, then change something else, like.. cut out sodas and drink something sugar free or diet instead.. or better yet, drink water instead of pop. Just keep changing one habit at a time, for a few weeks, and sticking to the ones that you've changed. Before too long, you'll have changed a number of things that are much healthier for you.

Another thing is, when you get your dinner, eat the lower calorie foods first. Like, start out with the veggies and then move on to the steak or proteins (or higher calorie stuff...). I've also been told that starting off with a salad or a soup helps to fill you up.

If you like dancing, maybe look for dance classes in the area. Or dance bars. If you like a beer and aren't wanting to try to remove that quite yet, drink your beers/wine while you're out dancing. You'll be using some of the calories up *and* you'll be getting some exercise to help your heart and get back into shape. A lot of places will offer an hour of "instruction" before the actual dancing begins. That's a good way to start out.. an hour of moderate activity really adds up.

Originally Posted by Jarvis

Well, after a week and a half or so of portion change and walking I have lost 2 pounds!!!

I'm not a huge sports fan, but my SO drug me to racquetball a couple times and it is starting to grow on me
Hopefully playing will really help me. He likes to jog on his way to the gym, but I am SOOOO out of shape, I can't even jog a block!

You may want to try leaving for the gym before he does, and just walking there instead. One of the things that some idjit Olympic trainee told my sister (she used to date him, hence the "idjit").. was to start out walking, and then add in like jogging 10 steps, and resume walking.. count your steps and try to jog ten steps or 100 steps every..1000 steps you walk or something. It's not too much stress that way, and you start very slowly to getting your body in shape to do that type of activity. Start out that way, and when you start to adjust to it, make it every 1000 steps with 200 steps jogging.

Good luck everyone! You're doing great!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know all the things you should do, but I just keep on eating. There are so many temptations every week. example, friday we had a surprise baby shower for a friend at work. Menu, pizza, pasta salad, chips, ceasar salad, cake. Now I could have just eaten the ceasar salad, it was good, but no, I ate a little of everything. Thus probably had around 1500 calories at that one meal. ONe slilce of that pizza is probably 600 calories, they are huge and greasy.
Now we have candy corn and will have tons of halloween candy around from now till thanksgiving.

Add to this that I have developed a taste for "good" micro brew beer. One of those is around 200 calories, easy, of course I have minimum two, possibly three, and in dangerous territory if I get to four. That occurs on friday night happy hour with friends.

I am waiting until I become willing to curtail all this excess, I vow to do it everyday, start with cheerios, pack a good lunch, but going off in the face of the slightest temptation is the norm for me. I like to have fun.

I need to lose 40 pounds, would be happy with a 30 pound loss. Can't lose a few, the harder I try the more I gain. This is frustrating, I don't even recognize myself anymore. I avoid mirrors.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost 8.4 pounds!

It's not much, but it's something. I still have a very long way to go.

I haven't changed my eating habits, but what has changed is that I am now in Physiotherapy and doing exercises there and at home, something I haven't been able to do for 2 years due to a "no exercise" order from my doctors while they investigated my heart.

I used some of my airmiles to buy myself a Weight Watchers scale so now I can check on my progress. I knew I had lost some weight because my watch band was looser. I still will go primarily on how my clothing fits and weigh myself weekly just to keep up the motivation!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest getting someone to measure you as well so that you have your starting measurements. Once you start exercising, you may not see as much dropping on the scale but you may see it in the loss of inches because you're gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. My coworker has a scale obsession and her personal trainer (she got serious about losing).. measured her. Her weight hasn't dropped much at all, but she's lost like four inches and two clothing sizes.

BTW, great job!!!

I finally started my hypnosis. I'm not entirely sure I've been hypnotized. I'll have to see how it goes. You're supposed to listen to all the different sessions and I'm going to have to keep on keepin' on to see how it goes, I suppose.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ownedbygizmo

Hello

I'm taking a deep breath right now...and I'm gonna say it...I'm 5'3" and about 175 pounds depending on if I'm bloated or not. I've always had a problem with carrying around extra weight since I was in high school. There is also a history of diabetes and heart problems in my family which is the motivation for trying to be healthier.

Recently, I accepted a part time job tutoring college students who have special needs at the local community college. The college is about a 25 minute walk from my apartment. I work three days a week there along with substitute teaching so I usually get a ride with my husband then walk back home after I am done work. Also I walk to run my errands and to visit friends when ever possible because I do not have a car. I was going to a gym a few months before my wedding to fit into my dress better and lost only 5 pounds. The dress fit alright but the lack of weight loss caused my motivation to lag. I had gone for about four months at least 4 days per week along with cutting out alot of junk food, alcohol and cutting back on calories.

I recently stopped smoking cigarettes (about more than a month since I had one) and started to drink more water. I'm also trying to cut back on my intake of alcohol...not a heavy drinker but probably about 3-7 glasses of wine or 2-4 beer per week usually with a meal. I eat three meals a day and started to stop eating once I feel physically satisfied. My fridge is stocked with yogurt, washed and cut fresh vegtables and fruit if I want a snack.

Keep up with the walks and dancing! Those are both great for you! Good luck to you hun as well.

Originally Posted by Jarvis

I've gotten into racquetball as well! It's actually fun! (though I don't play with anyone and I have no rules!)
I just do it by myself and keep moving!

Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

One of the things that I've heard works really well is just taking one habit at a time and changing it. It's not the way to fast weight loss, but as I've been told (and unfortunately it's true) we didn't put it on overnight so realistically, we're not going to take it off overnight. Anyway.. say if you're bad about potato chips, change that to a healthier choice, like eating baked potato chips instead, or eating pretzels instead of chips. Make a small change that's healthier. When you've gotten into that habit, after a few weeks, then change something else, like.. cut out sodas and drink something sugar free or diet instead.. or better yet, drink water instead of pop. Just keep changing one habit at a time, for a few weeks, and sticking to the ones that you've changed. Before too long, you'll have changed a number of things that are much healthier for you.

Another thing is, when you get your dinner, eat the lower calorie foods first. Like, start out with the veggies and then move on to the steak or proteins (or higher calorie stuff...). I've also been told that starting off with a salad or a soup helps to fill you up.

If you like dancing, maybe look for dance classes in the area. Or dance bars. If you like a beer and aren't wanting to try to remove that quite yet, drink your beers/wine while you're out dancing. You'll be using some of the calories up *and* you'll be getting some exercise to help your heart and get back into shape. A lot of places will offer an hour of "instruction" before the actual dancing begins. That's a good way to start out.. an hour of moderate activity really adds up.

You may want to try leaving for the gym before he does, and just walking there instead. One of the things that some idjit Olympic trainee told my sister (she used to date him, hence the "idjit").. was to start out walking, and then add in like jogging 10 steps, and resume walking.. count your steps and try to jog ten steps or 100 steps every..1000 steps you walk or something. It's not too much stress that way, and you start very slowly to getting your body in shape to do that type of activity. Start out that way, and when you start to adjust to it, make it every 1000 steps with 200 steps jogging.

Good luck everyone! You're doing great!
Very good suggestions Heather! I've been sort of doing what that dork of a man told your sister! When I've been on the tredmill, I walk for part then will speed it up. I can run/jog fast for 1 1/2 minutes now! Shocked the poopers out of me! I keep trying for more. Though I do always keep in mind that jogging is not good for your knees or your girly insides.

Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I know all the things you should do, but I just keep on eating. There are so many temptations every week. example, friday we had a surprise baby shower for a friend at work. Menu, pizza, pasta salad, chips, ceasar salad, cake. Now I could have just eaten the ceasar salad, it was good, but no, I ate a little of everything. Thus probably had around 1500 calories at that one meal. ONe slilce of that pizza is probably 600 calories, they are huge and greasy.
Now we have candy corn and will have tons of halloween candy around from now till thanksgiving.

Add to this that I have developed a taste for "good" micro brew beer. One of those is around 200 calories, easy, of course I have minimum two, possibly three, and in dangerous territory if I get to four. That occurs on friday night happy hour with friends.

I am waiting until I become willing to curtail all this excess, I vow to do it everyday, start with cheerios, pack a good lunch, but going off in the face of the slightest temptation is the norm for me. I like to have fun.

I need to lose 40 pounds, would be happy with a 30 pound loss. Can't lose a few, the harder I try the more I gain. This is frustrating, I don't even recognize myself anymore. I avoid mirrors.
You may need to try what Heather said about handling one vice at a time! Maybe just coniencely think about what you want to eat and eat just a little less. Put it on your plate but don't eat it all. Every little bit helps!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have lost 8.4 pounds!

It's not much, but it's something. I still have a very long way to go.

I haven't changed my eating habits, but what has changed is that I am now in Physiotherapy and doing exercises there and at home, something I haven't been able to do for 2 years due to a "no exercise" order from my doctors while they investigated my heart.

I used some of my airmiles to buy myself a Weight Watchers scale so now I can check on my progress. I knew I had lost some weight because my watch band was looser. I still will go primarily on how my clothing fits and weigh myself weekly just to keep up the motivation!
Congrats!
I really wish I would have had my hubby or neighbor measure me when we started working out. I still might have DH do it now as I'm not done yet, though I'm sort of at a standstill with the numbers coming off in pounds!

I'd suggest getting someone to measure you as well so that you have your starting measurements. Once you start exercising, you may not see as much dropping on the scale but you may see it in the loss of inches because you're gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. My coworker has a scale obsession and her personal trainer (she got serious about losing).. measured her. Her weight hasn't dropped much at all, but she's lost like four inches and two clothing sizes.

BTW, great job!!!

I finally started my hypnosis. I'm not entirely sure I've been hypnotized. I'll have to see how it goes. You're supposed to listen to all the different sessions and I'm going to have to keep on keepin' on to see how it goes, I suppose.
Hope it goes well for you Heather! You keeping your head up?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, you know, I got the cds. I got the player. I've listed once. The cat went missing on Sunday, and I'm just blah. I sort of just don't care right now, to be honest, about how much I weigh.

Of course, that's half the problem with me.. I'm not offended by my own weight, lol. I'd like to be in better shape, but I don't particularly like any type of exercise. I like to dance, but my local dance bar closed down. Nothing close by. Did find out my attorney's brother is regional manager to the YMCA near me though, so I'm goign to check into that.

I haven't been on TCS much of late. Just too much stress, I guess.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe Heather, is the cat back yet? I know I never had a problem with my weight either, I was fine with it but I am getting to like my body more now. It'll come when it's right for you!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she's not back yet. I put a few treats outside on the steps for her yesterday and they disappeared, but it's very likely to be the chipmunks or squirrels or even the birds that stole them. I put some more out today, and some raw out for her this morning inside the back door, so we'll see if anything is nibbled when I get home. I can toss it when I get there if it hasn't been eaten.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, she's not back yet. I put a few treats outside on the steps for her yesterday and they disappeared, but it's very likely to be the chipmunks or squirrels or even the birds that stole them. I put some more out today, and some raw out for her this morning inside the back door, so we'll see if anything is nibbled when I get home. I can toss it when I get there if it hasn't been eaten.
I am so sorry to hear that you cat has gone missing! Sending plenty of vibes your way for a quick and safe return!

I was very good this week with my Gazelle glider and the results showed!
Yesterday at WW I had a 1.6 pound loss - I am feeling so empowered and in control! Of course, I like the weight loss the my home scale shows better, but as long as I lose, I won't complain.
Now here is a laugh - I swear as soon as I step off the scale, Cosmo steps on it and sits down - that is how I found out yesterday that at 7 months, he now weighs 10 pounds!
Plus, I can now get into clothes that I couldn't wear last winter!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sending tons more for a quick return! We're all here for you Heather!

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I am so sorry to hear that you cat has gone missing! Sending plenty of vibes your way for a quick and safe return!

I was very good this week with my Gazelle glider and the results showed!
Yesterday at WW I had a 1.6 pound loss - I am feeling so empowered and in control! Of course, I like the weight loss the my home scale shows better, but as long as I lose, I won't complain.
Now here is a laugh - I swear as soon as I step off the scale, Cosmo steps on it and sits down - that is how I found out yesterday that at 7 months, he now weighs 10 pounds!
Plus, I can now get into clothes that I couldn't wear last winter!
That is good to hear!
Keep up the good work!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered to post this - but WW is having a cook book sale - they have three on sale for $7 each. I already have one - there are 200 hundred recipes, lots of pictures (I like that!) and every recipe that I have tried has been good! I am picking another one up tomorrow to take to my brother at Thanksgiving - rather appropriate time, right?
And I have now lost 43.8 pounds! Yippeeeeee! I am past my half way point! How is everyone else doing?
CatsAreBetter, did your cat come home yet? I sure hope so!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've sort of hit a wall right now! But I am trying... I started a Pi-Yo class (pilates/yoga) and I like it though I think I am too fat to do some of the stuff they do. They can bend and turn into pretzels and I bump fat against fat! But I am trying and I am hoping that it helps!

Super for you hitting your half way mark!! Keep it up. I need to get my DH to start eating right too cuz he is bringing me down with the eating wrong right now... It's my falult though for not being stronger and getting two different things for dinner.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I tried on my wedding dress out of curiosity to see if it still fit and what a difference in size I am now! I wore the dress not even a 2 months after surrogating and I still can't believe how bloated I was compared to now from the baby weight!
I never thought I was that big then!

So, has anyone else tried on their dress a while after the wedding to see if it still fit out of curiosity? Just wondering if I'm the only weird one here.
Or any other clothing that was 'then'.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given away all my jeans to my neighbor so I don't have those anymore but I do have a couple of shirts from then, and one is just WAY too huge to even wear anymore but it was my favorite so I kept it! I'm not going to be able to wear it anymore though as it looks like a dress on me!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - that''s fantastic, Jill! I wore some pants today that I haven't worn for a while. Still bigger than I would like, but at least they're not TIGHT.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all honesty they were a little baggy then on me but now.... OH MY!!! I loved two shirts so much!! A Tigger All-Stars like baseball button up that is beyond me getting to wear anymore, and this really really cute grey thermal looking v-neck sweater with like a built in undershirt that goes above the v. I even let Kitters sleep on that one back when she got really sick, cuz I wasn't getting to wear it anyways! I've been looking for another shirt like the grey one. My sister did just give me some clothes since she's lost weight (a not healthy way at all I can guarentee you!) and there was a Tigger sweatshirt in there! So I've sort of replaced the one!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

With all honesty they were a little baggy then on me but now.... OH MY!!! I loved two shirts so much!! A Tigger All-Stars like baseball button up that is beyond me getting to wear anymore, and this really really cute grey thermal looking v-neck sweater with like a built in undershirt that goes above the v. I even let Kitters sleep on that one back when she got really sick, cuz I wasn't getting to wear it anyways! I've been looking for another shirt like the grey one. My sister did just give me some clothes since she's lost weight (a not healthy way at all I can guarentee you!) and there was a Tigger sweatshirt in there! So I've sort of replaced the one!
You can use em to sleep in!