Weight Loss Support for the Humans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if your tummy is hurting, take it easy. I wouldn't try to exercise if you're feeling sick. Hope you get to feeling better!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read through and caught up -- you guys are doing so well! And some of you are such great cheerleaders... I know you're a big part of the success of this thread.

I've had a rough couple of weeks, mostly due to family issues. My cousin Jack visited for a few days, and he's the best houseguest in the world, just a pleasure to have around -- except that he had to witness some of the conflicts between my father and me. My father is in early Alzheimer's, and he gets irrational at times. A simple question about stopping for gas led to one of those agonizing evenings that leave you sick inside for days, and it was all the more painful with Jack as a captive audience. He understands the situation, but still... it's difficult for everyone.

Anyway, while Jack was here, we ate out a lot, and with all the troubles, I know I was doing the "emotional eating" thing, and it all led to some severe digestive misery, which is ongoing at this point. And then the scare with Pearl's injury, which has been putting me into recurrent bouts of tachycardia ever since. So sheesh. I don't even want to get on a scale right now... I don't need the emotional blow!

But I'm trying to get back to normal here. I've forgotten when our first deadline is -- the 7th?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, CP, it's a *goal* line. Sorry, had to toss that in there. I haven't been doing all that well either, but I guess I've been getting some exercise in this week by taking the metro/bus and then walking and standing etc. So, that's a good thing, I guess. i've done pretty well with calculating my points too, or at least keeping track. We'll see if that continues over the weekend.

You know, just jump back on the wagon. You might want to weigh yourself now, when you know you've been bad, as opposed to getting back on track and waiting a few weeks and then weighing yourself and by chance not seeing what you were expecting because that will be a much larger smack to your emotions when you've been so positive than it will be when you know you were "bad." If you get on it, just remember that you can do something about it. You can't change the past, and it's understandable how you could lose sight of a goal when you're dealing with craziness and stress. No point in agonizing over it because there's nothing you can do about changing what you've already done. Just concentrate on making the right choices one day at a time and don't beat yourself up. So, tomorrow, the first step is make breakfast a "right" choice. Then it's lunch.

Anyway, we can't be so hard on ourselves.. it's not like smoking where you can just quit cold turkey, or like being an alcoholic where you quit cold turkey. We have to eat. There are going to be setbacks. We just need to work at keeping them as minor setbacks and not let them turn into major ones...hopefully.

But, you'll be back on track, CP. Chin up, and turn the negative into a positive, somehow. Use it as fodder for a positive statement. "This is the last day of the old me, and I'll never be this same person again." Or something. You know, whatever suits you best.

erm, and I don't recall what date it was.. Berylyn is keeping track of that, I believe. I think it was Memorial Day weekend.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
16302 step today = 9.7 kilos =4.4 miles

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was Memorial Day weekend too. Different people had some different goals - like I'm having surgery Tuesday the 8th (gulp) so I wanted to lose 5 pounds by the 7th.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been really really busy this last week with work and been doing a lot there, so we missed a couple days this week of working out but yesterday I never sat down from when I got up until midnight. (except the drive to and from work!) It was a long long day! Then back to work today at noon. Tomorrow in at 10am and it's going to be another long long hot day! Atleast our air is somewhat fixed today. it wasn't 90 in there today! How's everyone else doing?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, Pearl is doing much, much better, and so am I. And I want a pedometer. I think it would help me to have some sense of how much moving I do, even if it's not entirely accurate. I guess WalMart will have them?

Heather, thank you as always for your kind helpfulness -- you're so good at this!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guh. I had a fully loaded tofu pup. And fries. AHHH!!!!

And I was doing pretty well! I mean, I've been a little sick this week, so I haven't been exercising at as high impact lately.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Okay, Pearl is doing much, much better, and so am I. And I want a pedometer. I think it would help me to have some sense of how much moving I do, even if it's not entirely accurate. I guess WalMart will have them?

Heather, thank you as always for your kind helpfulness -- you're so good at this!
I've seen them even at the dollar stores and at big lots (not sure is you have those at all) you can get them real cheap or real expensive. The more expensive track more things and can do different things. If you just want to see how many steps you are taking get a real cheap one to start and play with it a little bit!

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Guh. I had a fully loaded tofu pup. And fries. AHHH!!!!

And I was doing pretty well! I mean, I've been a little sick this week, so I haven't been exercising at as high impact lately.
What is a tofu pup?

Originally Posted by sharky

Two mile walk ride .... I got a bike
Congrats!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say look on ebay... search for the brand names you see there on the web and see what is says, but you can usually find a better deal on ebay (but not always... definitely compare)..

I've almost hit my five pound mark. I'm .2 pounds away from getting my five pound star. Of course, I don't know if I'll get that .2 by next weigh in.. I've got my son and a ton of driving and eating out this weekend, so who knows. Last week I was really good about taking the bus and metro, and walking extra..so maybe that contributed.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I'd say look on ebay... search for the brand names you see there on the web and see what is says, but you can usually find a better deal on ebay (but not always... definitely compare)..

I've almost hit my five pound mark. I'm .2 pounds away from getting my five pound star. Of course, I don't know if I'll get that .2 by next weigh in.. I've got my son and a ton of driving and eating out this weekend, so who knows. Last week I was really good about taking the bus and metro, and walking extra..so maybe that contributed.
Good luck!!! And remember you are still a star in our eyes even if you don't get your 5 lb star yet!

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I packed and unpacked my office this week, about 6 hours each so that burned a lot of calories
Well, that just sounds like fun!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even want to get started on the office move, they emailed us at 5pm on Tuesday to say we were to move, then 5 mins later they email to say the movers will be in on Thursday and please have everything packed up on Wednesday

The mess of the new office is another story :eek:nfore: but the good news is my office is HUGE and all the exercise prob adds up to over 5000 cals

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, lots of moving stuff... and I'll be getting some exercise cause I'll be pulling case files from our file room (some of which are 15 files long, in redwelds..) and walking back and forth to my desk to log them in as closed, pack em up in boxes, and then we're not allowed to lift anything so we have to get our attorneys to move the heavy boxes.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today while I was working DH and all the neighbors did a bunch orf yard work and tore out a bunch of bushes and stuff and we pumped up the tires to a bike we had in the yard and we had to test it to see if it held air and I rode around the neighborhood! Dh did too once, but he says his legs are killing him now! (sissy!)
I think I'll go around tomorrow again. I really enjoyed it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am ave 12000-15000 step s a day .... for exercise I will start some biking( once I gain some more steadyness) and am starting running and some sit up s and push ups

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just figured it out!
I have such trouble walking, because my back starts to hurt so much after awhile -- but when I go shopping, I can walk without much trouble because I have the cart for support. So I'll do my walking in the grocery store! Why didn't I think of it before?

Now I just have to find a grocery store that keeps the AC on nice and cold... and I'll walk up and down the frozen food aisles a lot...

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO its been a bit since I posted in here. Congrats to everyone making progress, keep it up

I have lost 10 pounds so far

I am walking to work every day and on the days I don't work I walk at the park. I decided to step it up this week and star jogging before my skateboarding lessons. I have started learning how to skate in pools, old school, like back in the 80's. It has worked every muscle in my body. I am starting to see some definition in the belly area and thigh/butt area. Acording to my DH, my teacher and a couple of the girls in the small class I am in if I keep at it and skate a pool 3 times a week I will have a six pack buy the end of summer plus a firm rear end.

I did have to stop working out and walking for a week because I did have my first injury on my board, I hit a group of steal cables in a parking garage and my left knee swelled to twice its normal size. I did manage not to put on any weight during that time. I just ate less.

Oh and I am still using my ball. Thanks to everyone who gave me links, I have been using those to mix it up a bit.

One of my other goals was to cut back on alchhol, I have done that quite well. I only have a few drinks a week now instead of daily. I also wanted to resist eating everything at work. Thats the hardest but I have done it. If I feel hungry now I grab a banana or an apple not chips or cookies.

So far so good.

Keep up the great work everyone we can do it.