Weight Loss Support for the Humans

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

That's so cool about the photos! Atleast you got him suckered in for a few of them.. he'll never agree to do anything again!!
My DH would have never done it to begin with!
I think he only did the shirtless one because he knew I really wanted to do them and Missy did too (she's his SIL). I don't think after the wedding I'll ever get him to sit for pictures again! LOL

Great work walking that hill! I'm hoping for good weather this week so we can get on our bikes and this weekend we might try a trail ride so we can test out the car rack for the bikes.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been real lucky with the weather the last weekish. It's nice.
Today me and my neighbor weighed in & worked out. Our work out burned 484 cals, then we did are stretches and I did my crunches. (50 tonight)
I feel really good about tonight.
Though I am up 2 lbs. (it's going to be my TOM thursday and I know I'm retaining water or something) Sunday after I did laundry, I tried on all my jeans that are a size bigger than what I'm really in to. Gave all the ones that were WAY baggy to the neighbor (4 more pair) Monday when I got up to go to work, I tried putting on a pair and they wouldn't really go on...
They just fit the night before.... It was so freaking odd to me.. I never really realized that I retained water before my period. But there is nothing else it could be within a less than 12 hour period when that pair was fitting no problem to a little baggy to not fitting at all! But we'll see next week afterwards how I am. I hope to be down atleast the 2 lbs.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the map my run thing, I worked out that if I walk from the train station (instead of taking the subway) and back I will burn 400 cals a day without any workout time on top (workout time is a premium on days when I am in that office as I get home so late)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, the TOM makes a difference in water gain and it doesn't matter how much you drink of it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.. (other than having to find clothes that fit right at the moment). It will all probably disappear again in a few days. And good job on the exercise and crunches!

Ohh, good way to add some calorie burn, ickle!

sarah3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also find that I retain some water just before the monthly visitor
, I usually just wear some old baggy pants.....keep up all the great work people and we will get to where we want to be!!

SillyJilly- That is one hill to walk up!! Wow I would be puffing after walking up that one and no doubt have calf muscle cramps....lol
Ohh I almost for got to add that what helped me loose some major weight was doing stair walking for 15 mins solid everyday and not just plodding up stairs but walking up and down them briskly.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*grumble grumble grumble* I am up 2 whole freakin' pounds this week! I don't know whether to cry or be really angry, so here's both emoticons:
. Boo.

I'm feeling frustrated because I don't know where the weight gain came from, and because I'm started to feel like what I do isn't making a difference -- I can exercise, I can stay on-program, and still ... nothing (or a gain). When our meeting leader said something about how we need to communicate with our bodies to figure out whether we're full or not, my response was that my body and I are not currently on speaking terms. *sigh*

J, meanwhile, has less than a pound to go before he hits his weight goal. I'm extremely proud of him, of course -- and honestly, I don't think he needs to lose any more because he looks really, really good right now (really, really good
*ahem*) -- but I'm also frustrated, because he lost 90 lbs like that *snaps fingers* and I'm still struggling through my first 30! I know it's just a question of genetics, but I still feel like my body must hate me or something.

Okay, pity-party over. I know I've done very well and these two pounds are just some kind of bizarre set-back and there's probably some aggravating biological reason for why it happened (I don't get TOM because of the BC I use, but I still have hormonal fluxes, so maybe that's it?). I just need to stay focused and fight the urge to start deep-frying everything J eats.
(I would never sabotauge him, but sometimes it's so very tempting ...)

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mirinae, I feel your pain! After losing 12 lbs. during my first 3 weeks on WW, I got cocky and sloppy, didn't take my walks, didn't count points - and this AM found out that I gained a pound! Now, at lunch I go for my WW weigh in, but I am quite sure that my scale is accurate! Why did I do this?
I can only blame myslef for this! (well, I am blaming stress at work, but it is realy all about me!)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will all have slip ups. The key yot getting past them is to not dwell on them. Mistakes have them... instead of giving up and indulging even more just brush yourself off and keep on trying. I did horribly over the weekend. That paired w/ PMS/TOM and I'm right where I started. I'm ok with it because I know I'm still trying. (that and I'm still afraid if I lose too much my wedding dress will be too big).

My boss just took me and a co-worker to luch for "administrative professionals" day. We went to applebees and I got the pick-n-pair w/ soup and chicken pasta. Then I had the bitesized desert. I ate too much which I'm regreating now but I know I'm gonna go home and do yoga and eat a light diner so I'm not beating myself up.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel the pain, lol. I can't seem to keep track of my points no matter how hard I try. However, the second WW week I had a gain, of .8 pounds.. which I then lost .2 the following week (still was up .6 from my first week, though..) and this week, finally, I had a 1.2 loss. So, I'm finally back down past my original week's weight loss. So I have made it, in four weeks, from 258.8 to 254.6... so down 4.2 pounds in four weeks. Maybe if I had my butt in gear and got on board with actually keeping track of points... I'd have achieved a little more, but I won't complain. At least it's a loss from the beginning.

I still haven't gotten on board with the exercise, although, I have been helping my attorney put all our books back in the library...so I've been getting some exercise, albeit not really voluntarily.

Marinae, if I remember correctly, our ww advisor and an old trainer of mine said if you hit a plateau, try switching up what you're doing.. do an exercise that uses completely different muscles.. like dance instead of walk, or maybe do a bit of light interval training...WW advisor said that if you're on flex plan and hit a plateau, try core for a few weeks.. changing the diet sometimes will boost it back in gear too. Whatever you do, though, don't drop below 1200 cals or it will throw your body into starvation mode and it will hold every calorie.

Don't get discouraged. If you were exercising, that builds muscle, and you might have gained some muscle weight, or it might just simply be water weight. Eating something salty or drinking something that's a diuretic will do that.. and sometimes your body just fluctuates from week to week. One of the women in our group today (today was weigh-in) is on maintanence now, and she just said today that she's weighing herself daily now. Today she was three pounds heavier than she was yesterday. It's just that easy, I think. It may just be a fluctuation. Whatever you do, even if you're not losing the weight, just think about how much healthier you are for exercising and sticking to your routine. Even without weightloss, that's a huge success and it's great for you!

extinctosaurus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I haven't read all the pages yet (so many!!!) but I'd like to join in, too...

I've gained like 30-35 pounds in the past 3 years. I probably won't be able to lose all of that but I'm hoping to lose at least 20... Would be nice to not be embarassed wearing skirts and stuff again :x

I weigh like 138 right now which might not seem like much except I'm only 5'2"
And the heaviest girl in my family-- my mom weighed 86 pounds at my age!!

All the weight gain really started when I discovered:
*ice cream
*soda
*fast food (waaaah!)

combined with my tendency to eat everything on a plate even though my tummy is screaming no :x Anyway!! Jim and I are trying to eat more veggie meals now, instead of all the red meat we were having. And no more soda, less ice cream, and no fast food unless we forgot to bring lunch to work or something. Also, more exercise, since at work we just sit in front of a computer... but the long shifts make it hard.

WHEEE good luck everyone!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome aboard Extinctosaurus! I think a great first step/goal for you would be to stop eating before you feel full. I know what it's like to want to eat everything on your plate but your doing yourself NO favors by doing that. I hate wasting food and if something really good I tend to go back for seconds even when I'm already satisified. If you can stop eating before you feel full you'll be making a HUGE step in the right direction. The reason I say before your full is because it takes your stomach about 10-15 minutes to tell your brain it is full. So, if you stop short you should feel full a few minutes later. If you don't then eat just a little more and stop again. Also, cutting soda will help lots too. You'll find that eventually you don't even want it. I had my first pop in weeks at lunch today and half way through I stopped drinking it and asked for water. It was just making me more thirsty.

Heather! Yeah for your loss! Sure, 4lbs isn't tons but your still losing which means your moving in the right direction. And ANY exercise (forced or not) is better than none at all.

Well, I'm off work now so I'm gonna head home and do what yoga my cramps will allow me. Which vaguely reminds me... I wonder how may of us see TOM at the same time cuz I'm noticing alot of posts about him this week. I know my yoga will be pretty limited cuz I have some nasty cramps today... but I WILL do something... even if it's only a bit of cleaning at home.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a TOM, I have Depoprovera, lol. Thanks goodness!!!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have a problem meeting there calorie goal for the day? I never would have thought that I would say that, but I am at 839 calories for today and I stuffed myself to get that! I keep thinking that I must be adding them up wrong, but I plug everything I eat into SparkPeople and that's what it's telling me. Grrrr!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my bigger issue is trying to keep under my calories.. well, right now, that's "points".. but.. basically the same difference.

hehe, I could think of quite a few delicious ways to spend that like 500 or 600 calories, depending on how many you're totaling for the day.. but.. none of them are "good for you".

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

No, my bigger issue is trying to keep under my calories.. well, right now, that's "points".. but.. basically the same difference.

hehe, I could think of quite a few delicious ways to spend that like 500 or 600 calories, depending on how many you're totaling for the day.. but.. none of them are "good for you".
I am supposed to shoot for 1200 calories. Being over 180 lbs, you would think that I woud have no problem getting calories
. I ended up eating grapes with cream cheese dip so now I am a little bit closer to 1200, but still ot quite there.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Yeah, and I actually think of some yummy alternatives! (brownies!!!)

Originally Posted by pipersjo

I am supposed to shoot for 1200 calories. Being over 180 lbs, you would think that I woud have no problem getting calories
. I ended up eating grapes with cream cheese dip so now I am a little bit closer to 1200, but still ot quite there.
That is a great choice you made!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When your eating healthy foods it's much easier to get full while still eating less calories. Try to "splurge" if you need to. It really isn't recomended to eat less than 1200 a day for anyone. So, instead of grapes and creamcheese (great choice btw) maybe go higher calorie with a slice of toast and peanut butter. Still relativly healthy but higher in calories.

For those that have hit a plateu switching up your exercise is a great tip but also switch up what and how much your eating. Ie: Day 1 eat mostly carbs (higher in calories) then progressivly eat less carbs and more lean protien/veggies as the days progress which will also lower your calorie intake. By changing like this your body can't establish a pattern which means it'll burn what your eating instead of storing it.