We took in a stray now she's pregnant! - HELP!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! She just emerged for food, I can confirm we have four lovely size kittens!

We are going to make up a new nest tomorrow and let her move them in her own time.
Anything else I should be doing for them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Just make sure the babies stay warm. Beautiful litter!

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to mama and grandma [emoji]128521[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji] looks like she did a wonderful job. They all look great and well-developed. Mama will do all the work, just check in every so often.

Just 4 days left until both of my rescues are due! The anticipation is killer!

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did do a good job!
Only problem is she just wandered into the living room and pooed on my carpet [emoji]128584[/emoji]
I thought we where over this . . . Help!?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry! Hopefully, it was an isolated incident. She may feel the stress of being a new mom. It takes new moms a couple of days to adjust.

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so :/ not trying to be gross but it was like something a medium size dog would do!
Like I've said before, we are not cat people! The poo stinks the whole downstairs out. I won't cope well if this carries on :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remind us, how long have you had her and what are you feeding her?

There are a few problems here.  If she normally has soft, smelly poo she may have a parasite that needs treating.  She is also be adjusting to a new diet, which upsets most cats' stomachs.  Who knows what she was eating when she was a stray?  Third, she has just delivered, which tends to upset the mom's system.  She should regulate soon if it's only the latter two.

Raw food or food with no fillers makes for a far less stinky litter box experience, so that may be something to look at down the line.

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been with us since July but only started coming in the house in October. She was an out at night cat until a few weeks ago.
She has always had 300g of wet food a day, in 3 meals. She refused to eat dry food until she was pregnant and now has as much dry as she wants as well.
She prefers to go out to go to the bathroom but that's it possible anymore

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would help if you could tell us which food you are feeding her.

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dry food is GoCat Kitten, she is having Asda (supermarketbrand) wet kitten food and Felix wet food.
It's surprisingly difficult to get kitten food

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just did it again :( something ain't right.
She has been starving today so she had extra food, maybe that's it?

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I can't stop looking at them!! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she needs as much as she can eat while she's nursing. I would guess that her stomach is unsettled from the delivery. How far does she have to go to get to her litter box? Leaving her in one room with her food, water, litter box, and nest might help.

It also is possible that she has a parasite, as mentioned earlier.

I also did a quick google of the food you're feeding her and it does look like there are a lot of fillers, like grains, in the food. Feeding a higher quality, grain-free food, could also help. I would go for that over kitten food for now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes cats will relieve themselves in inappropriate places when they are stressed and trying to let you know. I'm thinking you may want to try a Feliway diffuser. They plug into an outlet and emit pheromones that relax cats. It may help her to relax and stop eliminating outside of the litter box.

Last edited:

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I figured and considering she didn't eat yesterday I just gave her as much as she could eat today.
She had to walk further to poo in the living room than if she used her litter box! She has been confined to the kitchen at night and when we aren't here from the beginning,the tiled floor is easier to clean (she never really liked the litter box) so her nest, food and litter box are all in there.

We where treating her for worms and parasites before she got pregnant, I'm not really sure what type of parasites cats get?
I'll have to have a look what other food I can get.