We took in a stray now she's pregnant! - HELP!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a great litter box for mom. When kittens wean, they begin to learn to use a litter pan. They make kitten pans that are very small with low sides, which is easy for them to get into and out of. You can also just use disposable aluminum cake pans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha good idea on the cake pans!
is it normal for them to grow quickly at this stage? She seems so much bigger today!
I've got a picture, I'm freaking out a little!
Ive dealt with baby ferrets, hamsters, gerbils even fish!! But I've never had the mother prowling around making demands before! It's all very different!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perfectly normal.

Here's how big my cat got the day before delivery (she had 4 kittens):

Just get yourself prepared! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a word on litter, don't use clumping clay type of litter with the little ones when you come, they could die if they ingest it

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my god!? And that was only 4?!
She carries on growing at this rate and I think she'll be like a bowling ball come the end [emoji]128584[/emoji]
Thank you for the advice on litter!for the kittens, I would never have thought of that! Would a sand type be better or the cardboard pellet type stuff? Or newspaper maybe?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always bought white sand box sand at the garden supply store and used that for the babies until they have grown long beyond the eating litter stage.  I use small flat boxes and put them in all the corners of the room, since they tend to look for corners to pee in anyhow.  Shoe box lids are great for baby kitten training boxes.

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea too! Thank you! I would never have thought they would eat the litter.

I need some advice, before the enclosed litter box arrived she did go to the toilet (once - with persuasion) in a regular flat litter box. Since the new enclosed one arrived she hasn't used it and we still have to let her out for toilet breaks but she is in overnight now.
She was a little wary of it for a while but we did some in-out training with a ham reward and now she will jump in it as soon as you look at it!! - but then jumps straight back out looking for ham! She only had ham that onece!
She's gonna have to learn, any advice?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that the litter eating issue was raised, so many kittens die because they have eaten clumping clay litter.

LOL the ham thing cracks me up. You have a smart girl there

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She'll be using the litter box like a champ soon. It's okay to give her ham and boiled chicken, along with her kitten chow and wet food. In fact, adding it to her food bowl away from the litter box will make her realize it's a treat not connected to using the box.

She is very smart! I don't blame her for wanting more ham! [emoji]128512[/emoji]

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is too smart for her own good!
She does have little bits of ham all the time, I suppose it's my own fault for trying to train her like a dog! [emoji]128584[/emoji]
Once trained, a dog will continue the behaviour indefinitely even without the reward . . . . Cats, not so much!

Also, is there any way to reclaim my blanket? [emoji]128517[/emoji]

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha I was afraid you'd say that!
I won't be surprised if she curls up and has her kittens in it!
I did try and palm her off with an old bath robe made of the same stuff . . . Even wore it for a week! - NOPE!

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SUCCESS!! we have success!! Just as we where discussing swapping the litter out for garden dirt lol

keiiy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This was the state of affairs on Tuesday :)
I seen them moving for the first time today!!! Can we work out from that how long is left?