vomiting hairball - butter or vaseline?

wussy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1-1/2 yr. old cat has been heaving a lot lately.  4 days ago she throws up a large hairball so I am assuming she is trying to again without success.   The last 3 days, I have given her cat lax without success.  I would like to know what the dose is for butter.  If you think Vaseline is better I could try 1 tsp. of that instead.  Thanks for your help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I've read, Vasoline might work faster, but as far as dosage goes, all I'm finding is "glob" or "dollop"

There are literally thousands of threads here on TCS about hairballs, so if you need more information, you might want to do additional searching.  BTW...Welcome!! 

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I  give them butter even though everybody says vaseline works better, I'm a chicken , I'm afraid of giving them vaseline, specially to Lucas who is so allergic and sensitive.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 1-1/2 yr. old cat has been heaving a lot lately.  4 days ago she throws up a large hairball so I am assuming she is trying to again without success.   The last 3 days, I have given her cat lax without success.  I would like to know what the dose is for butter.  If you think Vaseline is better I could try 1 tsp. of that instead.  Thanks for your help.
1 tsp is too much....
From what I've read, Vasoline might work faster, but as far as dosage goes, all I'm finding is "glob" or "dollop" ;)

There are literally thousands of threads here on TCS about hairballs, so if you need more information, you might want to do additional searching.  BTW...Welcome!! 
Per my vet, the correct dosage is 1cc, or 1ml; it is safe to give more, but 1cc will suffice..... people sometimes call that 1 centimeter....

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone sharing their homes with a kitty that has frequent hairballs might be interested in this article by DVM Fern Crist: Some Startling New Thoughts on Cats and Hairballs.

A few of the high points (bold highlighting from article):

"Cats developed stringent grooming behaviors in the course of evolution because grooming is a positive survival factor, probably through controlling parasitism  and other diseases. So they are going to ingest a lot of hair. Does vomiting as a daily method for expelling this hair seem evolutionarily sound? Stomach acid hurts the esophagus and teeth, and frequent vomiting upsets the electrolyte balance. While vomiting as an emergency mechanism to rid oneself of the occasional nastiness seems reasonable, it seems unlikely that the daily vomiting of hairballs is the “normal” thing that the medical community has assumed it to be."

"Why would we think that “lubrication” of the gut with petroleum products would help?   A cat is not a car.  And in no way could a cat have naturally evolved to require the dosing with “lubricants” to survive or to thrive.  Likewise, cats in the wild would never eat a “high-fiber” diet, and so would seem unlikely to benefit from one."

"...I think it likely that a “hairball,” far from normal, is probably a common early symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.  Impaired motility of the gut would account for the balling up of hair that should pass right through, if stomach-emptying time is the 0.2 – 2 hours it is reported to be in a normal cat.  A cat shouldn’t be able to swallow enough hair fast enough to outrace normal stomach emptying time."

I hope this helps someone! Best regards.

AC

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone sharing their homes with a kitty that has frequent hairballs might be interested in this article by DVM Fern Crist: Some Startling New Thoughts on Cats and Hairballs.

"...I think it likely that a “hairball,” far from normal, is probably a common early symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.  Impaired motility of the gut would account for the balling up of hair that should pass right through, if stomach-emptying time is the 0.2 – 2 hours it is reported to be in a normal cat.  A cat shouldn’t be able to swallow enough hair fast enough to outrace normal stomach emptying time."

AC
I've seen feral cats with plenty of hairballs.  I've seen indoor cats that never had one, and cats that had one every few days.  To suggest that a hairball is any sort of abnormal event is not helpful, to my way of thinking.  Oily treatments have been shown to help, as have high-fiber diets.  Brushing the cat helps, too; it removes a lot of the loose fur that the cat would otherwise shed or swallow.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche  
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

AC
I've seen feral cats with plenty of hairballs.  I've seen indoor cats that never had one, and cats that had one every few days.  To suggest that a hairball is any sort of abnormal event is not helpful, to my way of thinking.  Oily treatments have been shown to help, as have high-fiber diets.  Brushing the cat helps, too; it removes a lot of the loose fur that the cat would otherwise shed or swallow.
Healthy cats should vomit precisely as often as healthy humans do. Truly! Go read the article by Dr. Crist. If you're interested, I have other links I can send you, too.

Best regards.

AC

steven reed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Widower60

My cat is 8.6 years old, he what the vet says domestic house cat, but I don't know his breed as he has natural aprons with shorter fur on his front legs and medium length fur on his chest and the rest of his body. He's been getting frequent hairballs sense he was 7 yrs old. 

Question is should I use Vaseline to treat him and help him not throw up so often, or do I use a no salt butter or extra virgin Olive oil three times a week? 
 Or should I do a more frequent treatment to start with? 
 I'll try to get a better photo of my cat Xain and post it for everyone to see. I hope someone can help me make a good choice in treating his hairball problem. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, don't use hairball treats, butter, or vaseline. There are healthier alternatives:

1) A grain-free, low carb diet (as per the link Auntie Crazy posted about hairballs: http://consciouscat.net/2010/04/28/some-startling-new-thoughts-on-cats-and-hairballs/ )

What works really well is a combination of choline (egg yolks!) and egg yolk lecithin. If you aren't in the U.S. and can't find egg yolk lecithin (don't use soy lecithin: there are only two manufacturers of egg yolk lecithin; Swanson and Nature's Plus), you can use egg yolks more frequently. You can feed them cooked or raw, and how much to use depends on how much she'll eat at one time. My cats don't like the texture of egg yolk, so they only eat 1/4 egg yolk at a time, mixed with a little water, and liver powder sprinkled on top. During hairball season, some get 1/2 a capsule of egg yolk lecithin twice a day, some get 1/2 a capsule once a day, and some of the boys get a full capsule twice a day. So it depends on the cat, and how they respond to it.

The lecithin emulsifies the fat that binds the hair up in their stomachs, making it easier to pass.

The egg yolks are full of choline, which when digested has a component acetylcholine. Acetylcholine improves gastric motility, helping move the hair through.

We discuss why not to use vaseline in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/202671/lets-say-no-to-vaseline

And we discuss egg yolks and lecithin in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250653/egg-lecithin-for-hairballs

This is a blog about ferrets, but the information applies to cats as well: http://www.ferretharmony.net/2013/04/27/hairballs-eat-an-egg/

peaceandlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found food grade diatomaceous earth to be an excellent solution. Diatomaceous earth (DE) consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae.

It seems to "cut up" the hairball making it pass far easier. It also acts as a natural mineral supplement, detoxifier, and natural intestinal dewormer. It will add sheen to your cat's coat, even. My cat, a long hair domestic, had severe hairballs when I started giving her DE. She passed several stools that consisted mainly of hair 3 days after starting it. Her digestive issues went away after a few days, too. To get her to eat it, I mix in 2 teaspoons into 1 tablespoon of plain organic yogurt. She LOVES it.

Dosage:

For kittens, 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon daily. For adult cats, 1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons daily. Start with the smaller dosage and increase as needed.

I stress "food grade" DE. There are food grade and non-food grade versions. Make sure you get FOOD GRADE or you might end up putting too many toxins / poisons in your kitty.

This is where I get mine from: http://www.earthworkshealth.com

(NOTE: I am totally unaffiliated with Earthworkshealth.com in any way except being a customer.)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have found food grade diatomaceous earth to be an excellent solution. Diatomaceous earth (DE) consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae.

It seems to "cut up" the hairball making it pass far easier. It also acts as a natural mineral supplement, detoxifier, and natural intestinal dewormer. It will add sheen to your cat's coat, even. My cat, a long hair domestic, had severe hairballs when I started giving her DE. She passed several stools that consisted mainly of hair 3 days after starting it. Her digestive issues went away after a few days, too. To get her to eat it, I mix in 2 teaspoons into 1 tablespoon of plain organic yogurt. She LOVES it.

Dosage:

For kittens, 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon daily. For adult cats, 1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons daily. Start with the smaller dosage and increase as needed.

I stress "food grade" DE. There are food grade and non-food grade versions. Make sure you get FOOD GRADE or you might end up putting too many toxins / poisons in your kitty.

This is where I get mine from: http://www.earthworkshealth.com

(NOTE: I am totally unaffiliated with Earthworkshealth.com in any way except being a customer.)
Very interesting!  I knew it was great for getting rid of fleas, but had no idea it worked on hairballs. Good to know.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food grade DE! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing that - especially the dosages. :)

I'm going to include your post in another hairball thread, thanks again!

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I have been searching for a remedy that my cat would allow me to give her. She can be a real pain when it comes to getting something down her throat, LOL!

She has always had a hairball issue and she is just a medium haired mixed breed. I had always thought this was only the long hairs but found out when I got her, that's

not so. She has never pooped the hair, she has always up-chucked it. Here of late she has had the worst I have ever seen, throwing up masses of water (she drinks a lot when she has a hairball needing to come up)

and whatever is left of her undigested food. BUT, this time she is not getting the hairball to come up. I have given her the vet malt stuff and it is world war 3 in here when we have to give it to her, but it does work.

Sooo....

I got to reading in here where some of you give the pure Vaseline and I saw the one that said a tsp. once every two days to get it up. So, going on what my vet said to give her of the vet med malt stuff which is a TBSP twice a day for 2 or 3 days to get it up, I just gave her a tsp or so of some pure Vaseline. I put two little dabs on her paw. Not the greatest thing ever, she detested it and still hasn't really liked it off. Then I went into the kitchen and found some cooked chicken breast in my fridge. I proceeded to get her a TBSP of that and rolled it in a dollop (approx. 1/4 inch squeezed out from Vaseline tube) of the Vaseline, twice, and she ate it down like nothing.

I guess what she actually got into herself was an easy tsp or so. Now that I read only give her 1/5 tsp, I hope I didn't over do her. Guess the little extra here may just be what she needs to get that lodged hair lose and up and out of her, but all she will get from now on twice a week will be a dab of a squeeze on cooked chicken.

She feeds twice a day, morning and evening, with dry at a constant set out for her if and when she wants it, both are indoor hairball control (and that my friend is a big joke!) so I guess I can just give her the Vaseline on chicken at mid day twice a week will be perfect for her.

What do you all think, does this sound like a good way for me to maintain with her? 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kahud48, personally, I prefer using VEt's Best Hairball and Digestive Aid for the hairball issues.  OR Egg yolk lecithin.  I've had good luck with both, but but my picky eaters are more prone to gobble up the Vet's Best.  And it really seems to work.  That, along with brushing, or better yet, combing, to really get the deep down undercoat. 

I also don't feed kibble, but try to feed a good quality low carb wet food, and am trying to incorporate a good Omega 3 oil into their diet as well, but am still trying to find one that all 3 will eat
.  I think anything that helps that coat should help cut down on hairballs.

OH!  I guess what my main thing was, which I completely forgot
, was that I don't like using vasoline because I feel like it blocks any nutrients from absorbing, PLUS it's made from petroleum

Last edited:

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried all that you are saying here but for my cat it just hasn't worked. The vet says the dry and the can that she gets is hairball indoor cat, you can actually see what looks like spinach in it. I have also fed her fish packed in oil and she doesn't like that, she is truly finicky. I even fed her some fatty bacon this week to help her get this up and she still hasn't moved it.

Like I said, all that we have ever found is the vet med with the malt (petroleum jelly based) and it is all that has ever worked. She will go a day maybe then it all comes up.

One time she got up (all in one upchuck) a hairball the size of my thumb plus 4 smaller ones half the size of my little finger.

When I say I feed her everything for hairball control (she was on Iams for years with no good results) I mean everything! I can't do better than that. I have even went the natural healthy home cooked route for her and no good results from that either.

The stuff the vet gives me is all that has ever worked and he told me to give it to her weekly for maintenance after the 2 or 3 days to help her get them up. So all the options I have now are the Vaseline only. I have mixed the vet med in her foods and she just snarls her nose up and walks away from it.

Putting it on the paw is a joke with her, she just basically refuses to lick it off.

She is 12 now and I do not want to keep putting her through this. All the indoor cat hairball control and preventative foods on the market does not work on her, nor does the ones with the lecithin and all the other suppose to work things, just is not a go when it comes to her.

I have checked her potty box so many times looking for hair and there is never any, she refuses to pass it, and the only way she gets rid of it is throwing it up.

I also go out and cut her some fresh young grasses, she eats them right down and sometimes, maybe sometimes, she will get some up.

This is why I say Vaseline is because the stuff the vet gives me is all that have ever worked in the past 10 years and the ONLY way I can get that down her is a fight!

After she ate this today in the chicken without any notice to her at all there was anything in there other than the chicken, is why I think this may be my only option. Just hope the tsp + wasn't to much. The worst that can happen I guess is that she poops like crazy for a day (all sliding out) and upchucks these hairballs, LOL! 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once she gets this one up, you might try saving her (done professionally) to prevent future hairballs from forming.  A few folks here do this, at least during the warmer months. 

Will she eat that chicken with the Petro Malt specifically for hairballs on it?  It's entirely possible that the hairball is stuck and may cause a blockage.  Is she keeping most of her food down?  If so, then I don't think that's a worry. 

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will not eat the Petro Malt on anything, I have tried it on everything I know that she loves to eat but she just won't eat it.

That's why I have keep her on all there is for indoor hairball control foods/diet but the so called preventative is pretty much a joke, it has never stopped her problem. She will go a few days and then the upchucking starts. After a couple of days, she will get them up, then go another few days and repeats the same. This last time she has upchucked with no results. After I gave her the raw bacon fat, she did get up a small one. A day or two later, she ate some more of the bacon fat, the following morning she got up another small hairball.

Two days later, she goes into her crying and heaving, Mom, here comes another one mode, but none comes up like she usually does. That is the reason I did a search and found this site and this thread.

After she threw up twice yesterday lots of water (she will drink a lot to help get them up) I came searching online for some kind of answer for her.

I read about the Vaseline so I did try that yesterday and I will try it again tomorrow. So far today she is at peace and I am hoping that tomorrow she will get this one up.

This was the first time she did not want to eat for a day and a half, did get me concerned. But, she is still pooping so I know something is getting through her bowels (common sense tells me she isn't blocked there),

I would say it is as always, in her tummy. I just need to get something in there to coat it so it will dislodge and slide up and out her mouth.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you wouldn't actually see hair in the litter box. The hair would be inside the poop. (Yes, some of us put on latex gloves and inspect cat poop. :lol3: ). Actually, we were discussing the issue (though it was as regards cats eating a raw diet, which makes things a little different), and I posted a picture of hair-in-poop here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263398/the-raw-stool-thread-warning-graphic

The problem is that your kitty has a motility problem. And when things get bad, yes, often there's really no choice but to use vaseline. But this level of hairball vomiting is most likely not a problem with "hairballs," but a symptom of small bowel disease.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.c...c-vomiting-in-cats-isnt-normal-after-all.aspx

First and foremost, at this point, I'd go the route of avoidance of ingestion. You don't need to shave your whole kitty - just have the belly shaved, that's where they groom the most.

Brush with a curry comb, a zoom groom type brush, or a slicker brush daily.

And perhaps find a vet that understands this level of hairballs is NOT normal. :(

I don't know what you're feeding her, but if she's eating dry, I'd eliminate that. And I would use only grain-free canned food that is high protein, mid-range fat (because fat binds up the hair that makes hairballs, so avoid high fat foods), and low carb. There aren't a lot, which is why in all honesty, you should consider making your own. Even just feeding raw, though that can actually temporarily make things worse.

Have you tried the Vet's Best Hairball relief? It's a combination of various fibers, actually, that seems to help many cats.

And even though you need to use the vaseline (which is what I'd use instead of the laxatone or petromalt or whatever, because the main ingredient in those is petroleum jelly, so just use that without the other stuff), I would still give 1/4 egg yolk mixed into wet food once a day, and use a full egg yolk lecithin capsule twice a day, AND use the Vet's Best Hairball Relief.

You may find that with time, you need to use less vaseline. But these things do take some time to help. And during the worst of shedding season, you may need the vaseline.

But, IMO, fats that they can digest aren't going to help much.

In fact, are you in the U.S.? Have you searched to see if there is a Chinese Med trained vet you can get to? Because this type of problem, in Chinese Medicine, is a type of deficiency that can be corrected with acupuncture and/or herbs. We fixed Chumley's GI problems with herbs the Chinese Med trained vet had us use. No more GI problems of any kind. He was on the herb a year, then refused to eat it any longer. Well - he doesn't need it now. :)

http://www.ahvma.org

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I brush her, I actually get out what I call a couple of hairballs. One thing about her is that she never stops shedding.

She seems to shed year round on a non-stop basis. I tell everyone that she sheds so much and constant that it's a wonder she isn't bald, LOL!