vomiting hairball - butter or vaseline?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, indoor cats shed year-round, though the increase in length of days increases the shedding. :nod:

And yes, that's a great brush for removing fur!

But I would consider the diet changes. You may also want to think about giving her 500mg of salmon oil a day. That may help reduce the shedding - as would stopping any dry food, and a high protein, low carb (grain free) diet.

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you totally and have just hesitated on changing her diet. You read so much online on cat diets that it makes one afraid of doing so fearing that you will cause the cat to lack full nutrition in the new diet.

With her tummy issues I have noticed that even a tad of change causes her digestion to act up. I can partially feed the new diet as I phase out the old one to get her slowly eased into the change, help her to adjust comfortably.

What soft foods, would you suggest that they will nourish, keeping the hairball issue in check, and not making her fat at the same time?

She was spayed before she was age 1 and she is now age 12, never a fat ounce has she gained. She is lucky to weigh in at 5 pounds.

And she was the runt, the smallest little critter of the litter, LOL! That is what made her so cute! 

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got with the vet yesterday and he seems to think it is just her same old same old issue, just hairballs, slightly blocking her small intestines, but not completely which is a good thing.

He wants me to give her 1 tsp of Vaseline daily for one week, then follow up with the liquid petroleum/salmon stuff he had me buy over the counter of one 1" ribbon every 3 to 4 days to control.

I slept in this morning but when I got up, there were tail tail signs of where she had slide a couple of rugs in the LR. That is indicative of her running and playing! That is the first time she has done that in 3 or 4 weeks!!!

Wish I had been up to see it.

I started her on the Vaseline last night, figured it would do good while she slept. This morning I see she is still pooping so maybe it is going to take a week to get them allllll to move out of her!

So far so good on the diet, she is totally wet now (thinking about going all raw soon) and a new litter by arm and hammer that are corncobs. It doesn't read fragrance anywhere but there is a pleasant smell to it.

Will have to continue searching for a litter without fragrance.

Thank you all for being here, when it comes to my cat, I get all unglued when she gets sick and need some cat lovers there for me to get me through and to understand me with her. :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got with the vet yesterday and he seems to think it is just her same old same old issue, just hairballs, slightly blocking her small intestines, but not completely which is a good thing.
Please ask your vet to read this article and read the study:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.c...c-vomiting-in-cats-isnt-normal-after-all.aspx

If a short haired cat vomits hairballs more than once every two months, it most likely is not "just" hairballs. That is the entire point. :(

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, but we have to get her over this and get the build up of hairballs out! And then get her diet set up for her to go from here with her digestion.

I really think that the raw diet is best for her, I really do.

She is just clogged somewhat and we have to get her cleaned out to begin anew.

He knows about the IBD so that is why we are starting here first, then are going on to proceed with her diet.

kahud48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Miss Puddy:

The vet here was right, my cat is doing good now after the week of 1 tsp. Vaseline daily for 7 days, and then the store bought stuff once every 4 days. She will still upchuck a hairball here and there but she doesn't cry with it anymore, she just hickups and out it comes!

I found Hartz mountain with salmon oil and she loves it! She will lick it up like she is on a mission, LOL! FINALLY, something she WILL eat without world war 3 to get it down her!

Is there others out there besides the Hartz that has the salmon oil?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread is pretty interesting to me. When I was a little girl my mom always gave Vaseline to our two cats. I never really understood why. She just told me it was to help with hairballs. I thought she was nuts 
. Good to know it actually helps them! 

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To: Calvin&I

SLIPPERY ELM: I have used Slippery Elm to soothe stomachs & intestines.  It coats the lining.  It is very safe - often even used alone when a cat cannot handle food, as it contains nutrients.  You can add it to food (about 1/6 of  capsule). 

I would not add it to ALL meals as it can affect nutrient/medication absorption.

HAIRBALLS:  You can control the shedding through food changes:

1. Do not feed fish  (Except very occasionally - in small amounts).

2. Do not feed Liver  - Unless it's specified as organic - or - from poultry.

I have 10 cats - and - NONE of them shed (Except at shedding season 3 times/year.  This is natural) - because I do not feed them foods containing fish or non-organic liver.

You need to look at the ingredients label carefully.  MOST cat foods contain fish.  And/or - non-organic liver.

Fish is not a natural food for cats.  Cats are land-hunters - The do not go to rivers, ponds et al to find food. Fish is not digested well - or metabolized well by cats. 

Liver collects & holds toxins from the body.  So, Food containing liver - will also contain those toxins.  Organic liver should contain much less toxins.  And - poultry should also contain much less toxin - because poultry doesn't live very long, so there's less time for the liver to accumulate toxins.

CARRAGEENAN:  I never use foods containing CARRAGEENAN.  (The "safe" form - converts to the unsafe form in the stomach.)   

Not only is this a strong Carcinogen, but, it also can permanently damage the GI Tract (Stomach, Intestines, and more).

MOST canned pet foods contain Carrageenan. [It is also in many people foods.]   If there is Carrageenan in the foods you are feeding - this may be the cause of the frequent vomiting.

PETROLEUM JELLY:  I would not trust giving petroleum jelly over an extended time.  Unsalted butter is safe for cats.  If you want to try it - just add some to their food.  Maybe 1/4 tsp twice a day.  (Butter is actually very good for cats.  Cats can use fat directly for energy.  And it contains Omega 3 fats.)

If you give a high dose of butter SEPARATELY from food (eg. 1/2-1tsp) - it acts as a laxative.

Good Luck, Jackie Page     

[if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}</style><![endif]

Last edited by a moderator:

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To: kahud48

1.  Be aware that Salmon oil contains high levels of Iodine (Cats have a strong tendency toward Hyperthyroidism, which Iodine can contribute to)

2.  Salmon & Salmon Oil is almost always from Farmed Salmon.  Extremely high in Carcinogens!

You can research this easily on the internet.

Jackie Page     

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

To: Calvin&I

SLIPPERY ELM: I have used Slippery Elm to soothe stomachs & intestines.  It coats the lining.  It is very safe - often even used alone when a cat cannot handle food, as it contains nutrients.  You can add it to food (about 1/6 of  capsule). 

I would not add it to ALL meals as it can affect nutrient/medication absorption.

HAIRBALLS:  You can control the shedding through food changes:

1. Do not feed fish  (Except very occasionally - in small amounts).

2. Do not feed Liver  - Unless it's specified as organic - or - from poultry.

I have 10 cats - and - NONE of them shed (Except at shedding season 3 times/year.  This is natural) - because I do not feed them foods containing fish or non-organic liver.

You need to look at the ingredients label carefully.  MOST cat foods contain fish.  And/or - non-organic liver.

Fish is not a natural food for cats.  Cats are land-hunters - The do not go to rivers, ponds et al to find food. Fish is not digested well - or metabolized well by cats. 

Liver collects & holds toxins from the body.  So, Food containing liver - will also contain those toxins.  Organic liver should contain much less toxins.  And - poultry should also contain much less toxin - because poultry doesn't live very long, so there's less time for the liver to accumulate toxins.

CARRAGEENAN:  I never use foods containing CARRAGEENAN.  (The "safe" form - converts to the unsafe form in the stomach.)   

Not only is this a strong Carcinogen, but, it also can permanently damage the GI Tract (Stomach, Intestines, and more).

MOST canned pet foods contain Carrageenan. [It is also in many people foods.]   If there is Carrageenan in the foods you are feeding - this may be the cause of the frequent vomiting.

PETROLEUM JELLY:  I would not trust giving petroleum jelly over an extended time.  Unsalted butter is safe for cats.  If you want to try it - just add some to their food.  Maybe 1/4 tsp twice a day.  (Butter is actually very good for cats.  Cats can use fat directly for energy.  And it contains Omega 3 fats.)

If you give a high dose of butter SEPARATELY from food (eg. 1/2-1tsp) - it acts as a laxative.

Good Luck, Jackie Page     Jackie Page's Animal Network

[if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}</style><![endif]
Hi Jackie.   Ruby my 3-ish year old short-haired female has had issues with vomiting almost from day 1 when I adopted her in November.  First it was clear liquid between meals, which escalated to vomiting after breakfast one morning 2 months after I had her.   That prompted a visit to the vet and we changed her food to Royal Canin hypo-allergenic canned (http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/...ry-Therapeutic-Formulas/Hypoallergenic-Canned).   This is all she eats now, along with a few Royal Canin treats a couple times a day and she no longer vomits the clear liquid between meals.  It has duck liver - is that bad, do you think?

She'd never vomited a hairball till around March when she started shedding like crazy and it was only twice, so I wasn't overly concerned.

However, in the past 4 weeks she's vomited hairballs 3 times!    I keep thinking it's because I've started feeding her part of her day's food at lunch-time, instead of morning and evening only.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the last 2 days I've stopped the lunch-time feeding.   Any suggestions or comments?

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To: Rubsmama

Duck liver SHOULD be one of the safer livers.  Although, if it contains a substantial amount of liver  - I don't think you should feed it to her every day.

Liver is high in Vitamin A and D.  Both can be overdosed.  Vitamin D, in particular.   Too much vitamin D is toxic for cats (And for people!).

And, even though it's probably one of the safer livers - it still carries toxins. 

Vomiting could be one of the reactions to the Vitamin A&D levels - and/or the toxins.

I don't know the ingredients of the food you're giving her. 

Is there Carrageenan in it?  This, also, could cause vomiting.  It may have taken a bit of time for it to do its damage.

[You should also avoid "Ethoxyquin".]

Some brands that have foods that do not contain these 2 ingredients are:  Nature' Variety Instinct, Petguard, Evanger's, Soulistic, Weruva.

But - you have to read all ingredients, as some/all of these brands also have foods that DO include them.

And, I think it's a good idea to feed a variety of foods - Better to cover all nutritional needs - that one food alone may be lacking.

I don't think the lunchtime feeding is causing the problem.

You might want to try the advice you quoted above,

Good Luck,  Jackie Page     

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Jackie.  Thanks for your reply.   Yes, the food she's eating has carrageenan.  However, because this food cured her vomiting clear liquids between meals and diarrhea/loose stools I'm hesitant to change it.   Here's the complete ingredients list:

Water sufficient for processing, duck, duck liver, duck by-product meal, rice gluten, rice flour, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, guar gum, vegetable oil, flax meal, sodium acid pyrophosphate, natural flavors, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, potassium citrate, salt, inulin, vitamins (DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of vitamin C], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], niacin supplement, biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6],vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), taurine, trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, iron sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate).

I still wonder if the lunch-time meal is part of the hairball problem, or just a coincidence, so I am going to avoid feeding her midday and see if that helps.  If not, I may try either the vaseline or a store bought hairball treatment.  Or perhaps a bit of butter.

Last edited:

ivelesse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Carolina:

I read your post on butter and vaseline  you just shed some light on me, my  gotti is a Maine coone and as you may know they have long beautiful hair.  Needless to say he sheds a whole lot not only that ,he must bathe himself at least three times a day.  Yes he's an extremely clean cat even for his surroundings.  I have been giving him shed X and we go through hell to give it to him and this is a liquid formula so you can imagine how messy it gets and he does not really get much down his throat.  I also give him Hartz hairball remedy At first he would take it, but now he is hesitant but at least this is a paste formula that I shove down his mouth and it stays.  But both remedies seem like a life saver, the butter because he loves butter and the vaseline because it is like the solution like the hartz..  Thanks a million. 

shr151

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you get a cat to eat caned pumpkin I've put it on her food she won't eat it

catsmeow13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In response to: 
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Anyone sharing their homes with a kitty that has frequent hairballs might be interested in this article by DVM Fern Crist: Some Startling New Thoughts on Cats and Hairballs.

A few of the high points (bold highlighting from article):

"...I think it likely that a “hairball,” far from normal, is probably a common early symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.  Impaired motility of the gut would account for the balling up of hair that should pass right through, if stomach-emptying time is the 0.2 – 2 hours it is reported to be in a normal cat.  A cat shouldn’t be able to swallow enough hair fast enough to outrace normal stomach emptying time."

I hope this helps someone! Best regards.

AC
I have several indoor cats and EVERY DAY I clean up at least one hairball.  Granted I do not know which cat is doing it, but they are all long haired felines.  I think it is a bit silly to assume they all have "Inflammatory Bowel Disease" as you suggest.  I do plan to add soft food into their usual dry food diets and try other treatments suggested here...more brushing, etc....but I seriously doubt all my cats have some sort of illness. 

In my 42 years, I have never heard of a cat that didn't have hairballs at some point...  Thanks for sharing but I'm not convinced.  :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

llawen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I and my calicoe/tortoise elderly rescue cat, "Mrs.Madrigal Mouse" ("Mouse") are new here. She had a recent episode of constipation/vomited a hairball,and I found one of the best,most well reasearched articles which I have ever read on feline digestive health. It was extremely helpful,and I highly recommend it:

http://www.felineconstipation.org/index.html

My background includes breeding and raising Welsh Ponies and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. (We have retired from both after refusing to spend on advertising or use professional handlers. We were small,successful and it was a hobby in which our whole family participated. I took many genetics and reproduction classes, as well as having a wonderful Welsh mentor in our early days.We bred infrequently,and did ten generation inbreeding coefficients before considering any breeding along with health testing. Younger, wealthier folks began differently towards the end of our time in breeding,and we decided to rescue instead. (As well,our sons were no longer available to participate,but it had been a very happy time).

I look forward to learning from all of you!

Suze
May it be of benefit.

bronwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been offering Head to Tail Hairball Remedy treats 1/day. They have coconut oil and gogi berries. It's like a kitty multi-vitamin. His coat feels great, and hairballs are gone. My kitty was vomiting almost daily before I started giving him 1/day. The bag has 90/bag so three months worth.

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

A very interesting article---I have a Maine coon who does NOT like brushing except on rare occasions----and then with a soft brush that does not get much hair.

She has the odd hairball--maybe a couple times a month---fed mainly on canned food.

Just recently,she produced a really long hairball--maybe 5 inches ,which scared the hell out of us.

Based on the context of the article,do you have any idea of the best brand of canned food to give her and/or ,any idea of the food formula the writer suggests ????

We love our cats,and only want the best for them--but commercial suppliers of cat food have no clue ----

Thank you so much

Tony and Kat