Vibes needed please - all 3 cats poorly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks - we didn't discuss the lump being connected with his thyroid,it is in his mouth, and you can feel it under his chin, but it doesn't go as far down as his neck, so i would think unlikely. I hope Ellie finds a home before Sam gets worse, as she loves him to bits, and will pine.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, those are nice kitties. Sam looks like my Beeba.

You are still fighting the good fight....for your buds. As usual, continued and prayers from one who has taken care of seniors to another.

God Bless

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks - we certainly are still fighting, none of the cats want to go anywhere!! Found an easy way to get Sam's Metacam into him, I do have an easy way to get Zi's into her, but it means giving her food daily that I dont think will do her kidney's any good, and might stop her eating anything else, so still weighing that one up. Sam is getting rather messy as he is getting food build up in his mouth and then shakes his head, but that is fine, as long as he still seems happy in himself. He is getting a bit grumpy wiht Ellie though, she just wants to be friends and he really isn't that bothered, although they did both sleep on my knee for a bit last night.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well, a few blips but you seem able to roll with it.

I hope to draw from your strength someday down the line.....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a really good night last night, got home and his mouth didn't look as swollen (although still getting food stuck at the sides) - I took him to my neighbour for a second opinion, and she agrees!!
She thinks it is the anti-biotics, I think it is more likely to be the Metacam (which is typical, him and Molly are on the two drugs I hate, but it seems to be controlling both their issues), there has been one other change this week (as it is a week since he was put on the two meds), and that is food - the rescue gave me some food for the foster that is known for helping their mouth, and he normally shuns it, but he has been helping himself to Ellies', and it has previously reduced the redness in his gums. he seemed really perky yesterday too, even coming upstairs. He is a bit funny with sharing my knee with Ellie though, bless him.

Zi seems to be picky with her wet food at the moment though, and her mouth is a bit smelly, so need to get her in for another ab injection. Am off work on Fri, so will see if I can get her in then.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I do think the swelling is down, although you can now feel the growth, although I am sure it doesnt feel as big as it did at the beginning of the week. He did have a bit of a bad day yesterday, he was really quiet and reluctant to go out, preferring to sit with me!! Everytime he was dozing on my knee you could really see his third eyelids, which I didn't like. I had to go to the rescue, and when I got back, he had made his mouth bleed again - I tried to clean it, but he hated that, and then shook his head in the kitchen, getting blood up the microwave and cupboards instead!! If I'd known he would do that, I wouldnt have bothered to clean them that morning!! He also had a knot in his fur, which has never happened before, and if he had had teeth, I wouldnt have been removing it either, he wasn't happy at all about that, he doesn't even try and go for people when they are taking his blood. He still feels thin though, he is being weighed tomorrow as he needs some more meds.

I took Zi for a Convenia jab on Fri - he wasn't 100% happy to give it to her, as apparently ab's dont always work for gingivitis as it is the bacteria attacking the teeth that is the problem, and ab's normally attack bacteria in the capillaries, anti-inflammatories are much better. The ideal scenario would be a dental, but as she is an 'old dear', there are concerns with the GA. So i have to monitor her, and if it has helped, he will keep doing them, if not, he would prefer not to, as it is one less med for her kidneys to process. He also said that 90% of cats over the age of 12 have some level of arthritis, which I thought was interesting.

He fussed her a lot more than Sam (although could be cos she isn't a limpet like Sam!!), so still like this vet - will see what happens when Mollys steroids run out, whether he will insist on seeing her or not

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You certainly have a full time job with your gang, but I know it is a job you love.

Whenever the time comes for these guys, you will know that you have done everything. You won't have any regrets.

Continued vibes for all of you. You have a great heart.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am not too convinced his weigh in will go well, I wouldnt be surprised if he has dropped a bit more weight, and he really can't afford to. I had to take some more mats out of his fur last night, although he was more co-operative - he obviously isn't grooming himself well, it is over a year since he had his teeth out, so not cos of that. His mouth did bleed slightly again yesterday, so I need to speak to the vet about that, and I am going to ask the vet if we could do a needle biopsy through his chin, as you can feel a definite lump now, I just dont want a biopsy done through his mouth.

The ab jab has stopped Zi's mouth being stinky, but not really done much for her appetite.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WEll, not the best visit ever - he has put a bit of weight on, he is 3.47, and was 3.4 at his last weigh in, but better than I thought. The vet didn't see him, but I had spoken to him earlier in the day, he basically said that bleeding wasn't a good sign, and if it continued, I would have to consider letting him go as it would affect his welfare. I asked about a needle biopsy, and it is an option, but even if it shows it to be a benign growth, it is still inoperable, so we would only benefit from a clinical point of view, it wouldnt affect his treatment. So, I have to work out if it is worth putting him through the stress, and a sedation at the very least, and I am not convinced it is. He did say that radiotherapy has been used with some facial tumours, but it would mean repeated GA's, and I am not willing to do that.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh.....well, give this all a good think through. It takes a while and a bit of time for everything to sink in. I know it does with me. I wake up in the night and try to solve everything regarding any illness with my cats.

Give the dear love a hug from me. I know what indecision is like. Sometimes, I forget to breathe.

As always, continued prayers are sent up for you and your buds.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, i certainly do need to think this through, but ultimately if we can't treat it, what is the point in putting him through the discomfort of a procedure? Also, doing a needle biopsy wont be as accurate in that area as a proper biopsy, and there is a chance they wont get anything other than blood.

I will certainly give him a cuddle from you. I can't believe the amount of bad luck this cat has had health wise, it certainly makes you wonder if his original owners knew of some of his initial health issues (dodgy teeth, heart murmur and borderline hyper-t - we didn't pick up his high liver enzymes till his bloods prior to dental), and that is why he was dumped on the street. He was lucky the person he turned to knew us though, not all rescues over here would have bothered to try and treat him, or allow him to live in a foster home cos his health pretty much ruled him unhomeable.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good that his weight it up a little. I understand where you are coming from with the needle biopsy, your not a bad mommy or neglecting him if you opt out. It's for his own well being, like you said - the treatment would be the same either way. You are his personal angel.

Feel better vibes:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Thanks, i certainly do need to think this through, but ultimately if we can't treat it, what is the point in putting him through the discomfort of a procedure? Also, doing a needle biopsy wont be as accurate in that area as a proper biopsy, and there is a chance they wont get anything other than blood.

I will certainly give him a cuddle from you. I can't believe the amount of bad luck this cat has had health wise, it certainly makes you wonder if his original owners knew of some of his initial health issues (dodgy teeth, heart murmur and borderline hyper-t - we didn't pick up his high liver enzymes till his bloods prior to dental), and that is why he was dumped on the street. He was lucky the person he turned to knew us though, not all rescues over here would have bothered to try and treat him, or allow him to live in a foster home cos his health pretty much ruled him unhomeable.
Lucky yes. Maybe. On the other hand perhaps not a coincidence that he chose to be rescued by someone who would bring him to the very one who would give him as much care and love as possible in his last days. You are his true heart person.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks - Otto, that brought a tear to my eye!! He is definitely lucky to be alive though, if she had taken him to my branch of one of the large, well known rescues, he would have been pts immediately due to his calici. His tum is a bit upset today (although could have been like that for a few days, it is only cos I was up a bit later than normal he used the tray). His lump doesn't look good today either. After reading another thread on here about a cat who has had a lump removed from under their tongue, I am wondering about pushing my vet to do something, but he felt it is inoperable (and if so, there is no point doing a biopsy), so I am in a bit of a quandry.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really sure, it seems quite a bit bigger today, and it is starting to affect him eating, and his tongue is being pushed out a bit more, so I dont think it is good. I have spoken to 3 different vets at my practice, plus the vet nurse, and none recommended a biopsy. Mind you, one of those vets didn't think it was an issue and now it certainly is a growth.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to see this. I know you won't let him suffer.