Vibes needed please - all 3 cats poorly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for thinking of them.

Zi has been limping a lot more recently, I spoke to the vet who suggested splitting her Metacam up rather than increase the dose, it seems to work a little bit. Her breath is still very stinky and she cant' groom certain parts (and bites you for trying), but still seems to be enjoying life.

Molly is also holding her own - she has the odd day where she doesn't eat a lot, I panicked in the beginning but have forced myself to stay calm, as the weather is rather changeable here, and it was more on hot days (and on those days she normally eats more overnight when it is cooler) - she gets chicken every day too, and I have had to watch how much I give her, as I think that had an impact too. Her fur is still really shiny and she is still her usual vocal, demanding self!! I go away for 6 days next week though, am really concerned about how she will manage, as she doesn't like people that much, and sometimes eats more once I have been fussing her.

There is also a new cat, Buster, who has a thread on here somewhere, but not updated it for a few days as no one was replying to it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good that they are still going strong! I hope Molly does fine while you are away, Bear is the same way. The more I fuss over how pretty he is while he eats, the more he eats LOL!

Congrats on the new kitty! I will go check out the thread. I know what you mean about the thread, Bear's thread isn't getting many replies. I think most people shy away from long threads, it is alot to read. Or, some people do read the whole thing, they just have nothing constructive to add. Your still a loved member of tcs though!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

That is good that they are still going strong! I hope Molly does fine while you are away, Bear is the same way. The more I fuss over how pretty he is while he eats, the more he eats LOL!

Congrats on the new kitty! I will go check out the thread. I know what you mean about the thread, Bear's thread isn't getting many replies. I think most people shy away from long threads, it is alot to read. Or, some people do read the whole thing, they just have nothing constructive to add. Your still a loved member of tcs though!
I follow Bear and always check when I see your thread (and other long threads on specific cats) have been updated.

I'm of two minds about long threads. In some forums I participate in people start new threads when there are new updates on a specific pet. That's convenient for everyone, as long as one is in the habit of checking "today's posts" rather than just specific forums or subscribed threads lists. In a forum as busy as this one, new threads can sometimes get missed. But on the other hand like you say, long threads sometimes stop getting watched, and/or some people with older computers and slow connections have trouble loading threads like this and stop reading.

I too am going to look for Buster's thread!

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read through long threads too. All though I don't read through them often enough so then I spend quite a while getting caught up.

Things have been busy my way so I post when I have time. I am sorry to hear about Sam. I know it's hard to put a beloved pet down. I have not had to do it yet because the two I had passed on their own. One unexpectedly and the other a day after a surgery which was a surprise also. And from going through treatments with peaches and even just giving smokie antibiotics before, I can't stand to see them suffer. When it comes time for any of them, I know it will be hard. But I look at it as that they are no longer in pain or suffering. Though I pray daily that they go peacefully in their sleep so it's easier on me. I tell them that every day too.

I'm sending lots of
and That your other kitties get better.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I follow Bear and always check when I see your thread (and other long threads on specific cats) have been updated.

I'm of two minds about long threads. In some forums I participate in people start new threads when there are new updates on a specific pet. That's convenient for everyone, as long as one is in the habit of checking "today's posts" rather than just specific forums or subscribed threads lists. In a forum as busy as this one, new threads can sometimes get missed. But on the other hand like you say, long threads sometimes stop getting watched, and/or some people with older computers and slow connections have trouble loading threads like this and stop reading.

I too am going to look for Buster's thread!
I know you follow his thread, and I thank you for your support!

I am not upset or anything about the decrease in followers because I understand why. I was not updating like before, and the thread is really long. I know that once in a while if I am late to a thread and it is 15+ pages long, I may skip over most of it and read the first and last posts, especially if it is not one of the "main" memers or if it is someone I don't know. And when I do that I usually do not post much because I know I am missing alot of the info, even if I follow the thread. I read waaaay more on tcs than I make posts. I am a "Lurking Member"
. I know others do that too.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the continued vibes. I really need to have a chat with the vet when it is time for Zi's next check up, and see if there is anything else we can do for her limp, and also whether it is worth doing bloods (while 6 months is normal for CRF, i have been doing it 3 monthly cos of being on Metacam, but they aren't really showing us much). She is eating less wet food though, so am wondering if her teeth are bothering her more.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks - Zi's breath is incredibly stinky at the moment, might have to bring her vet visit forward.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, no good news at all for Zi. Took her for her check up last week, she has lost 200g since her last visit 3 months ago, so I am putting her on monthly weigh ins (as she doesn't mind going to the vets), as I have just increased her Metacam dosage, so need to make sure she isn't getting too close to the dosage (If you know what I mean). Vet was practically useless though, his only suggestion was to change her to an opiad based painkiller (which means splitting tablets than getting tiny parts into her) so we could put her on Fortekor - but I can't pill her, and she doesn't eat enough wet to put it into food. It also wouldnt help her gingivitis - he had no other suggestions for that unfortunately. He did agree with not vaccinating her though. He also agreed with not doing a blood test, as it wouldnt change what we are doing, but she will be getting one in another 3 months, unless her weight continues to go down, in which case it will be a full blood test, not just her kidneys. I then decided to get a second opinion, which was done today, and still no good news!!

The vet had a proper look in her mouth, and it was worse than I thought, am sure it is worse than when we first discovered the gingivitis nearly a year ago, so Metacam hasn't had that much effect (although it could be worse without it I suppose)- vet is sure it is calici. I got asked about her quality of life, which I think is OK at the moment, although I am now wondering if the recent change in her behaviour is such a good thing. She feels that the weight loss is due to her mouth, so we are keeping her on monthly weigh ins, and she has convinced me to give Antirobe another go, even if it means going straight down her throat, which I have done twice today, but I feel very bad for doing it, as she hates it more than MEtacam. I am going to try mixing it with water tomorrow and syringing it, and doing two in once so she only has two lots of liquid syringed into her. She did agree with me that her mouth is probably going to be the reason I make that decision, rather than her kidneys, although the limp is coming close, as that is no better despite nearly a year on MEtacam - it is like it can't control both, but there doesn't seem to be many options. If she starts really hating the Antirobe, we are pretty much out of options. I never thought she would see her 20th birthday when she was diagnosed with CRF and we kept her on MEtacam, so I know every day is a blessing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a little expensive, but if you need to get medicine in her daily ask your vet about getting it compounded into a nicer tasting liquid. If it means the difference between her eating or not it would be worth trying.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry things are looking better for your baby.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone - have managed to get ab's down her so far, but the next couple of days will be the test, I always manage the first two days, its after that she starts getting suspicious!!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am praying for you and your little friends. You certainly put every effort into your cats.

God bless.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet had a proper look in her mouth, and it was worse than I thought, am sure it is worse than when we first discovered the gingivitis nearly a year ago, so Metacam hasn't had that much effect (although it could be worse without it I suppose)-
I'm sorry it's not better news for Zi, but you are doing all you can for her. No kitty could ask for more, or receive more love and care than you give.

I'm a little confused about the above statement as it sounds like you or the vet were expecting the metacam to improve the condition of her mouth? Metacam being a pain medication (I know you know that) it might help with mouth pain, but would not have any benefit toward any dental conditions themselves?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I was expecting it to improve, but as it is an anti-inflammatory it should have helped the condition of her gums, as it is gingivitis (well, the vet now thinks calici) rather than her actual teeth.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Not sure I was expecting it to improve, but as it is an anti-inflammatory it should have helped the condition of her gums, as it is gingivitis (well, the vet now thinks calici) rather than her actual teeth.
Will help with the pain of gingivitis, by reducing inflammation, but not with the actual condition of gingivitis .

Keep us posted on dear Zi.