Vibes for Maisie please!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news Jenny! Give Maisie and Tartine big
from us. I am SOOOO glad she will be home for Christmas! That is the best present you will have, I bet!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news, Jenny - I guess your old vet not answering the phone was a blessing in disguise, but I still think that's terrible.

Although force-feeding a pony does make an interesting mental picture. (Put the pony on your lap....OH, NO - sorry - that's force feeding a cat...LOL)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!!! Perhaps you will have a Merry Christmas nowwith this latest update.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news...it is also wonderful to hear how both are now interacting and responding to you

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that the improvements are continuing, and glad to hear that Tartine is coping so well.

I've been around horses, not a lot, just a bit. I got the horsey equivalent of a bunt, I guess of a particularly big horse that I'd been riding (sitting on while it walked), nearly knocked me over. Being playfully charged by a pony? I think I'd have had a heart attack before I figured out it was a game.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

That is wonderful news...it is also wonderful to hear how both are now interacting and responding to you
Here's to a Christmas homecoming for Maisie!

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about Maisie. Glad to hear she's doing a little better, though. I have a Maisey, but she's a cat.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot imagine better news about Maisie & her foal.

Tartine, you wild child ---
Mama is coming home real soon.

I am so relieved for you Jenny.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful news, Jenny!!! That is so fine!
Continued vibes, though -- eat well, Maisie, sweetie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I spoke to the clinic this morning, I was told she has a slight fever, so I am going to see her and leave her in another day or so. It is a terrible shame, but I feel better leaving her where she is until they are sure she has no other problems than the eating.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah...hopefully soon. I'd have done the same thing though, no point in bringing her home with a fever.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The current problem is that she has developed phlebitis, an inflammation of the vein, in her neck where she has had all the injections and infusions. So she is back on antibiotics. But she is eating well - when I went in there this morning she was not interested in anything except the pile of hay in front of her, though she did make an exception for the bowl of carrots I offered! That is so good to see. Anyway, the clinic will now keep her for Christmas, and I will go and see her each morning. Tartine had her usual apple but was not in such a playful mood as yesterday. Mind you, the weather has turned nasty, so that may have affected her mood.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that Maisie won't be home for Christmas, but so happy to hear she is doing well.

Sending virtual carrots to Maisie!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny....do the doctors have a guess about what made Maisie ill?

I would think that might be important so that, if necessary, you can take precautions to avoid this happening again.

I am so sorry that she will not be with you for Christmas but it sounds they she is in the best of hands right now.

Little Maisie & baby foal.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep asking about that but all anyone will say is that ponies get colic for all sorts of reasons and we don't always know why. It was the colic that stopped her eating, but the first vet did not tell me how dangerous it was that she was not eating, or I would have force fed her more - I did try bran mash and bits of carrot by hand! But I have been going over things in my mind - what was different the week before she became ill - There are three things I can think of - I started feeding them hay regularly as the grass had no more nourishment in it and the weather turned cold; I prepared a nice warm shelter for them for the same reason and put straw on the floor; and it rained torrentially every day and they got soaked as they did not want to use the shelter but preferred to huddle under the hedge (go figure). So I don't really think the hay could have caused it, but I think the two possibles are that she ate straw that then impacted in her gut, but she wasn't using the shelter much if at all, or she got a chill from being out in the terrible weather. I tried once to shut them in and they freaked - these are ponies who have lived all their lives in the open. These are the best I can offer, and the vets all just shrug. Any horsy people with any other ideas please share them.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ohhhh, sadness! i feel for you!!!! LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of vibes coming her way!!!!!!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least things are still looking better than they were. Keep getting better Maisie, your mommy and Tartine need you!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry your girl won't be home for Christmas, Jenny, but better safe than sorry. Keep getting better, sweet Maisie. Lotsa vibes...