vbPlaza gift etiquette questions

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

It sort of turns the whole thing into a popularity contest, IMO, and makes the boards more "clique-ish".
I've given gifts to members that i don't know much about apart from their cats being in fur pics, so that's not being cliquey.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a thank you PM is nice, and I want to know when the shop is going to stock some gnomes

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks with a smiley is good enough.

We don't want members going into point debt because they feel the need to give a gift in return for the one that they just received.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a PM to thank the person is appropriate. Other than that, no! I'm still trying to get through my list of people that I want to send gifts to - it's going to take me a while!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know some of the people that I gave gifts to, I just like giving stuff away.

In fact I do not know anyone on this board personaly except Neet, the rest of the people here I just know from here, and the ones that I do know, I don't know real well.

I just like to be friends with everyone.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just getting into this gift thing but I think its a fun idea and while I know its not necessary to reciprocate I do feel like I want to give a gift back!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feel like I have to, some of my gifts came from friends I have made on TCS and generally I have given them a gift, but had it in my mind to do so before they gave me one... I just needed enough points.

Others I have got for siggies / photoshop help and unless they fell into the above category, I generally haven't given them a gift.

I still have a few people I want to give gifts to, when the shop is stocked and my brain is working well enough to remember what I want to give.

I do however always send a PM thanking the person.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

If I give a gift or receive one I think that a thank you PM is all that's in order. Points can be precious, and some members, even though it looks like they have plenty, could be savings up for one of the bigger ticket items in the vPlaza.

A virtual hug is sometimes nice too.
That's a gift in and of itself!
I always send a thank you PM and include a virtual hug!

Originally Posted by Anakat

I think a thank you PM is nice, and I want to know when the shop is going to stock some gnomes
Oi, if you think the pickle madness is bad, wait until they stock gnomes!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I don't have the points to reciprocate....I certainly have been sending than you PM's, though

My main concern is that a lot of members have 10 or 15 gifts while several have none. It sort of turns the whole thing into a popularity contest, IMO, and makes the boards more "clique-ish".
The issue of some members having no gifts while others have many was a concern from the very beginning, but we knew it would happen. Some people are more likely to give gifts to their friends and they are allowed to do that. We have roughly 2,000 active members. Each member cannot possibly offer equal attention to the remaining 1999 members whether vbplaza is around or not. You reap what you sow. We also have plenty of members who are giving gifts to those who have none anyway. As long as the rules are followed, (which are the same for everybody) our site still allows any member to post in any of our main forums at any time and as much as they want. I see friendships made here, not cliques.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

The issue of some members having no gifts while others have many was a concern from the very beginning, but we new it would happen. Some people are more likely to give gifts to their friends and they are allowed to do that. We have roughly 2,000 active members. Each member cannot possibly offer equal attention to the remaining 1999 members whether vbplaza is around or not. You reap what you sow. We also have plenty of members who are giving gifts to those who have none anyway. As long as the rules are followed, (which are the same for everybody) our site still allows any member to post in any of our main forums at any time and as much as they want. I see friendships made here, not cliques.
I agree!

I was leary of posting at first.But, now I can't shut up. I've sent out a few gifts, but didn't expect anything back from them

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I was planning on sending a gift anyways, or see something that fits a person, I will send them a gift back, technically. I always send a thank-you PM back, though!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering the fact that I don't post much, I always send a thank you pm back...it's only polite!!!

So a note to all of you who have lots and lots of points:

Gifts welcome here!!!! Pickles, Hugs anything!!!

Oh and can we have rosettes (blue ribbons) as a gift too?