vbPlaza gift etiquette questions

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. The people you see with lots of gifts are the more active members who will naturally be closer with the other active members. We aren't trying to leave anyone out.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I would do that too if I saw something I really wanted. So you don't have to wait for someone else to buy you something.
It hadn't occurred to me that we could buy ourselves "gifts" too
I just assumed that all the gifts were from someone else...Maybe I'll take a look around...

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

I just assumed that all the gifts were from someone else...Maybe I'll take a look around...
You can buy yourself gifts too.
I've bought myself 3 of them plus my ribbons.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it was a complaint, just an observation or a concern. I know I'm certainly not complaining... I haven't been active on TCS for ages so it's my fault for not knowing the pickle joke, etc. Lol!

I will say this has motivated me to become more active here - those gifts are cute and I wanna buy me a heart, lol! And, obviously, gift some people who have been so sweet to me!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feel the need to reciprocate but I do like to at least thank the person for the gift.

I've been having a blast giving out gifts. I agree with you Gingersmom that there are not so much clique's as there are folks that know each other better. I know I spend a great deal of time in Paws & Reflect having fun as Bijou and Mika. A lot of the regulars there have been kidding around as their kitties for a long time now and come back every day, 2-3 or more times a day and have gotten to know each other well. We have new folks joining in and they are happily welcomed - some stick around, others (for whatever their personal reasons) post a couple posts and are gone. There is no way we can get to know them better if they don't stick around, post responses and get into the fun of that forum. I know a lot of the gifts I've given have been from Bijou and Mika to the kitties in that forum.

I also bought gifts that I liked for myself - I love golf and coffee - I bought them both for myself. (Because Ryan knows one golf ball won't last very long in a game of golf - sometimes not even past the first hole if there is lots of bushes and trees - he gave me another as you can see.)

This isn't meant to be a popularity contest - just lots of fun. I could get upset and think nobody likes me either because I didn't get a lot of gifts but I don't.

By all means - buy yourselves gifts if you want to - that's wonderful. Be good to yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I don't have the points to reciprocate....I certainly have been sending than you PM's, though

My main concern is that a lot of members have 10 or 15 gifts while several have none. It sort of turns the whole thing into a popularity contest, IMO, and makes the boards more "clique-ish".
You only need 212 points for a gift, so you do have enough to send some.

The gift system is only a little over a week old. As more members accumulate more points, more gifts will be given out and many people will have 10-15 gifts near their names. Browse the log in the vbPlaza, and you will see many members giving gifts to people outside their "clique". Yes, some members will always have more than others either because they are very visible members, or they help other members out a lot. It's like that in real life also.

Originally Posted by crittermom

Some of my gifts have come from ME! I see something that I want and I buy it.
Thank you for pointing out that some of the gifts have been purchased by the member for themselves.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

The ONLY "inner circle" that I see here with over 1,900 ACTIVE posters is that of the owner, mentors and mods, and that makes complete sense.
I don't think any of us listed think of ourselves as an "inner circle". We're here because of all of you. It's the members that make the site special.

Originally Posted by gingersmom

Instead of sitting back and waiting for people to include me, I just jumped right in and started posting my heart out. I don't feel left out, because I am ACTIVE.
Excellent point!

Originally Posted by crittermom

Good point.
I often look at members names and think *should I send them something since they don't have anything* And then I think *they might not like that since they don't know me* So, it's a toss up most of the time. I give gifts to those I know fairily well and then to myself as I said.
Sure!! Why not send something to someone?? It could brighten their day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I will say this has motivated me to become more active here - those gifts are cute and I wanna buy me a heart, lol! And, obviously, gift some people who have been so sweet to me!
I have a feeling that you will both be getting gifts from people now!
Ari, I bet you have your heart before you get a chance to buy it yourself.
I would buy it, but I have no points.
I am a shopaholic

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I give a gift or receive one I think that a thank you PM is all that's in order. Points can be precious, and some members, even though it looks like they have plenty, could be savings up for one of the bigger ticket items in the vPlaza.

A virtual hug is sometimes nice too.
That's a gift in and of itself!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Sure!! Why not send something to someone?? It could brighten their day!
Just the other day I sent a present to a member who doesn't post much anymore and didn't have any gifts, but I remembered her as being one of the first people on TCS that "accepted" me when I first started posting last year (It felt like it took AGES
). I don't really consider her a part of my "clique", in fact I don't think I have a "clique".
Nope. Anyway, she just touched me and I wanted to reciprocate.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received my Bear, and the points to buy my ribbon as a gift from a friend. I surely don't post enough to gather lots of points (I'm a picky topic-responder, lol) and my good friend was kind enough to include me. But, I know her from outside of TCS, and I don't have other "friends" on here. But that is ok.

I agree with gingersmom...you can change where you stand by throwing yourself out there and getting more involved.

Or, just post as much as Susie (I may not respond often, but I do read, lol).

Btw, I think sending a nice thank you PM should suffice. It's nice to give, but it's also nice when you know it was appreciated.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with the thank you note people - that has always been the correct reply to a gift.

Besides the traditional ettiquette response, it would be a ridiculous standard to hold some else to - not everyone will have the same amount of points or be able to reciprocate immediately. After all, some people don't post as often as others, some post more, some of us rack up extra points by sleepwalking...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

some of us rack up extra points by sleepwalking...

That's too funny!

But, seriously, you're right, it is hard to hold people to that standard.

That reminds me, I still have to write thank you notes for wedding presents.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I don't think it's necessary to reciprocate, but that shouldn't stop a person from giving a gift to a person from whom they received one. And certainly a thank you PM is in order.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

I only just got my first gift and felt I should reciprocate but the shop was sold out
That's not necessary (and I really wasn't trying to "hit" on you
) I've posted so much this week (home sick with MUMPS!) that I've got points to play with, so I've been sending gifts to people posting in IMO, my "haunting grounds". A thank you PM is welcome, but not necessary, and I have quite enough "clutter" in the upper right-hand corner, thank you! I'd rather that somebody reciprocate by presenting a gift to another member who hasn't been "included" yet. We "TCS addicts" can chalk up points quickly, but many people who participate sporadically can't, so let's show our appreciation of their concern for their cats' welfare.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

No. I send a Thank you PM back. You give to be sweet and I don't think anyone expects a gift in return.
That is my thought ...