Vaccinated pregnant kitten

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fine.  Mom will let them know when she's had enough.  Some kittens nurse for a couple more months.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens will nurse as long as mom lets them. It's mostly for comfort at this point, but it's okay. My kittens nursed their mom for about 4 months.

You can have mom spayed now, by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and they won't do it until 1 to 2 weeks after they are done nursing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That could be a long time, and she'll be in heat soon and getting pregnant again. I hope you're keeping her inside all the time.

Most vets will tell you they prefer to spay a cat who is not in heat or nursing. That's because the surgery takes a little more work to tie off the engorged blood vessels. It's for the vet's convenience.

I suggest you call back and tell them you'd like her spayed now regardless, and if they refuse, find another vet who will.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a stray mom spayed and she was still nursing, 4 months into it! She came through beautifully and acts like nothing happened!

youknowitstrieu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So vaccinating a pregnant cat didnt harm them? Do they still have shakey legs or did they grow out of it?