Vaccinated pregnant kitten

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help. I took in a stray kitten and didn't know she was pregnant. She got her First set of vaccinations and then we realized a month later that she is pregnant. Did anyone have this happen and what was the outcome of the babies? I am so worried. They estimate her as only being about 8 months old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need help. I took in a stray kitten and didn't know she was pregnant. She got her First set of vaccinations and then we realized a month later that she is pregnant. Did anyone have this happen and what was the outcome of the babies? I am so worried. They estimate her as only being about 8 months old.
Probably best to contact your vet.  Say this vet whom gave the vaccines.  Have the exact time-tables...    Some time is more touchy than the others, and it depends in part on what vaccine.

If she isnt too high preg, a spaying / abortion is always possible, if there is a risk of deformities or complications.  You will spay anyways, sooner or later...

Nothing fun, what what to do?

consult your vet, and take your stand from there, is my advice.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet last week. They said some, all or none of the kittens can be affected. My vet wasn't the vet that vaccinated her. She was found up north while we were on vacation. It was a vet up there that vaccinated her. We had to border her for the remainder of our vacation. They said they felt to see if she was pregnant and didn't feel anything so they gave her all her kitten shots. I just hope they are OK.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was that early on the kittens may be okay.  Let us know how it goes.  Feel free to ask any questions.

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK I will I just read the thread about polka. Freaking out a little bit.I would be devastated to lose all the babies. I do not see a lot of movement, however I have felt them move now and again. She could still have 4 weeks to go though.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I will I just read the thread about polka. Freaking out a little bit.I would be devastated to lose all the babies. I do not see a lot of movement, however I have felt them move now and again. She could still have 4 weeks to go though.
Polka thread may not be the best for you to read right now.  Try this one

[thread="297529"]Found Abandoned Kitten​[/thread]  

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there one kmr better than another? I have been finding different brands. Just trying to get things ready ahead of time.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been recommending the Pet Ag powdered form.  The liquid pre-mixed form doesn't seem to be as good.  Stay away from from Hartz and Seargents, people have reported problems with those brands.

I am glad to hear you are getting supplies.  Don't forget to pick up some unflavored pedialyte.

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK I will look for pet ag. I will also get the pedialyte. When do you give that?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will help if the kittens get diarrhea or become dehydrated.  You can get a small baby sized bottle.

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know my cats pregnancy is high risk due to her age and the fact that she was vaccinated. I have felt babies move occasionally but you can't see the movement. Is she maybe not far enough along? I found her June 21 so I have no idea how far along she is.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may find this article useful It is a very good overview.  There are other articles at the top of this forum that are more specific.
[article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats  [/article]

tameilicke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it OK to move the mama cat while she is in labor before any kittens are born? Or should you wait until all are born? I have also been thinking of taking her temp daily now as I think she is within 2 weeks now. Is that safe to do and is it true that once it drops below 100 degrees she will give birth within 24 hours?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the cat's temperature will drop before giving birth But this seems excessive.  There are other indicators to look for, i.e. Dropping, losing the mucus plug, the water breaking, the restlessness.

Don't move the mama cat while she is in labor.  Cats can delay labor and the results are not always good.

Last edited: