Undecided

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). He will get better quick now that he's been seen by the vet. I'm thinking that this is another reason why a life indoors only would be best for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think so

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still undecided though,I just want to be sure that I can provide him with a good home & only being there 10hts worries me[emoji]9785[/emoji]️

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe make a list of pros and cons? But make the list from Shadows perspective. For example:

Pro: no more living outside
No more being bullied by other cats

Cons: guardian gone for long hours at work

Add to the list and see if the pros outweigh the cons.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only con is that I'm out for most of the day & I'm quite selfish with my time. Not goodi know [emoji]9785[/emoji]️

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, only you can decide what you feel is best for your situation. I don't see being gone most of the day a big obstacle but only you know how much of your time you want to give. While cats are LOW maintenance, they do require some level of care and attention but what you get back in return is so much more. Have you spent any time with Shadow to get a sense of what having him in your home might be like? Are you still considering a trial period with Shadow?

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm still considering a trial period, I just hope he can cope with me being out a lot. As an example I got up at 2.30pm today, had a shower then went out shopping, came back for an hour then went out to college & didn't get back until 9pm. What do you think??

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today I woke up at 5:30 am, left for work at 7:00 am and got home at 5:15 pm and my cat is fine. I'll probably be going to bed by 9:00 pm. This isn't schedule every day of the week except the weekends.
By the way, it's totally ok if you decide having a cat is a pet is not what you think you want to do!

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really do want shadow, this day is not everyday, normally I wake up at 2.30pm go out for 2hrs, get home about 4.30-5pm then I'm in for the night, today was only because I have college every Wednesday. What do you think. I respect your opinions

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you would've around plenty for Shadow plus he'll likely be sleeping most of the time you are out! Cats sleep up to 18 hours a day [emoji]128164[/emoji][emoji]128164[/emoji][emoji]128164[/emoji]. Every once in a while I come home from work at lunch time only to find my dear girl dead asleep and barely aware I'm even there...so much for MY worry about my cat missing me during the day [emoji]128541[/emoji]
The trial period might be good because it would hopefully put to rest your concern about not being around enough for him. I think the benefits of him living life indoors free from being bullied outweighs everything else.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your home plenty for a cat. My husband and I go to work early. He feeds the cats before he leaves (early). Then I'm gone from the house by 6:15 am. We don't get back until 5pm. My husband then goes to bed at 8:30 and we all try to stay quiet so he can sleep but I go to bed shortly after that. So we only spend about four waking hours with them. They don't need constant focus, just a bit of attention here and there. It may also help that they are together- but many cats like being on their own. We had a cat previously who was alone (hated other cats) and was also fine all day long. 

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is natures best clumping cat litter a good choice??

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I meant worlds best, doh!!!!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I meant worlds best, doh!!!!
Lol...I really like it and of course, most importantly, my cat does as well. It has a nice, light, natural corn scent and with regular scooping, keeps odors at bay. I also like that there is no dust like you would get with a clay based litter. Everyone and every cat has its own preference but World's Best works great for me.
Is this the brand that Shadow is currently used to? If it is, I would stick with it during the transition to his new home. If it is not, it might be best to use the litter he is used to until he has transitioned fully that familiarity will help him feel comfortable (you can always change slowly to whatever brand you prefer once he has settled in).
How is Shadow doing after his most recent vet treatment? I hope he is on the mend!

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've just had a conversation with a woman that is from a cat rescue & she said that getting a bird feeder on the window for shadow would be cruel because it would drive him mad, seeing the birds but not being able to get them. I thought that would be the same as them stalking them in the garden & not being able to get them, what is the difference??

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've just had a conversation with a woman that is from a cat rescue & she said that getting a bird feeder on the window for shadow would be cruel because it would drive him mad, seeing the birds but not being able to get them. I thought that would be the same as them stalking them in the garden & not being able to get them, what is the difference??
I don't think you can predict how a cat will respond to the bird feeder on the window.   It's true - some cats will be very frustrated at not being able to get to the birds.  Others just enjoy the show.  We have members here who have bird feeders placed where their cats can enjoy them and their cats are fine.  I used to feed the birds on my balcony and my cats loved watching them.  They didn't seem overly anxious.  You can always try it and see how it works.  It's easy enough to remove the bird feeder if you see Shadow getting agitated. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can predict how a cat will respond to the bird feeder on the window.   It's true - some cats will be very frustrated at not being able to get to the birds.  Others just enjoy the show.  We have members here who have bird feeders placed where their cats can enjoy them and their cats are fine.  I used to feed the birds on my balcony and my cats loved watching them.  They didn't seem overly anxious.  You can always try it and see how it works.  It's easy enough to remove the bird feeder if you see Shadow getting agitated. 
I agree 100%. My cat loves to sit and watch "her" birds and is not in the least agitated by not being able to catch them. In addition to two bird feeders outside windows, there is a frequently used bird bath in my courtyard so there is always some sort of bird activity for my cat to enjoy. None of it causes her stress in any way.