Ugly Cats

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't understand why anyone would get so worked up to the point of acting petty.
It's not acting petty at all?!. If someone insults my cats when they've done nothing to them then they insult me!.

The simplest thing would be the old saying "If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all!", but sadly people are just to ignorant to do that.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

but hairless ones due to dental issues seem to be the worst(untreated dental disease, if it is treated even if they are toothless they could be drop dead gorgeous. I just don't like the look of an animal with nasty teeth rotten teeth.)
Hairless dogs are prone to dental loss.. You can take excellent care of the teeth, and they will still suffer dental loss. The hairless gene causes the loss of dentation. You will be hard pressed to find a hairless Crested with a full set of teeth! My Crested is missing 3 pre-molars.

The dental loss is even accepted in the show ring- but only for the hairless variety. If you'd compare the teeth of a hairless to a puff- the teeth are actually more "tusk-like".. the molars are smaller and not as well formed.

Its a hairless thing, not necessarily anything to do with the dental care- or lack thereof.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It's not acting petty at all?!. If someone insults my cats when they've done nothing to them then they insult me!.

The simplest thing would be the old saying "If you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all!", but sadly people are just to ignorant to do that.
I do agree with this completely.
You do have the right to find an animal ugly, of course you do... That comes naturally, you don't even have the choice to do so - but to voice to the person who loves that animal like a child is plain mean. Complete lack of common sense.
Would you tell someone their child is stupid? Or ugly? So... I see no difference there.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Sphynx are very nice cats.
What is he afraid of?
I think he would if it was free, he thinks its alot of money to pay for a cat
We have 5 cats already and he isn't really a cat person at all, he moans about the cat fur, so I told him a Sphynx would be a perfect cat to have. I'm afraid to say my neighbours would be very critical, sphynx's are not common around here and I know I would get comments from friends and family but I do not care. I looked on pets 4 homes last night and I found some sphynx kittens, they are beautiful and not that far away but I haven't got the cash all at once. I really, really want one and the lady who advertised them said they are extremely lovable with children and other cats, that would be perfect. If someone offered me any breed of cat I would go for a sphynx, they are extremely beautiful.x

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Would you tell someone their child is stupid? Or ugly? So... I see no difference there.
I would criticize someone's child's behavior but not appearance. Big difference between being stupid and being ugly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Children at not animals, and animals are not humans.

I know i shouldn't, but my instant reaction would be to ban them because i would be so mad and hurt
You're own post.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Children at not animals, and animals are not humans.

You're own post.
And?. I'm well aware that their not humans, but their my kids at the end of the day and if anyone insulted them then they hurt my feelings

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And?. I'm well aware that their not humans, but their my kids at the end of the day and if anyone insulted them then they hurt my feelings
Why, though? Does it really truly matter if everyone loves your cats and thinks they are as perfect as you think they are? They're your cats, only your opinions of them matters - you have nothing to prove to anyone else, nothing that needs to be validated.

Shrug it off instead of getting hurt or possibly saying hurtful things back.

I remember years ago a vet saying that Tomas had a very small tail - that it look odd. I just scratched my head, because at the time it looked large on his kitten body. Now that he's big... yep, he has a small tail. I suppose I could have gotten offended but it just wasn't worth the effort to care.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

you have nothing to prove to anyone else, nothing that needs to be validated.
No it doesn't matter if everyone loves my cats, but that's not the point of the thread. The point is people insulting them. And your right i don't have to prove anything to anyone but i still have feelings at the end of the day, more so when it comes to my cats. I've always said people can say what they want about me, but don't even go there by hitting me where it hurts by bringing them into it. As i said earlier say nothing at all.

What you have to remember is that not everyone can put a wall up or shrug remarks off like some.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

but that's not the point of the thread. The point is people insulting them.
Actually that wasn't the point of the thread, either. The OP started it wondering it others had ugly pets and wanted people to share pictures - no one did, maybe I should have shared Siri's really scrunchy face pics.

Everyone else turned it into 'calling my cat unattractive = insulting me'.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Actually that wasn't the point of the thread, either. The OP started it wondering it others had ugly pets and wanted people to share pictures
And as usual it escalates when the wrong word is said
But calling an animal ugly is still awful and nothing and no one will change my views

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But calling an animal ugly is still awful and nothing and no one will change my views
And nothing will change mine - that a cat does not care. Probably why animals are so much nicer than people.
The only way to insult a cat is by messing with their things - food, toys, sitting your butt down in their preferred napping spot, etc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bingo!!!!
At least we can agree on that.

Personally, I'll never care what an animal looks like one way or another. I'll accept them, and even people, regardless. Looks simply do not matter.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruthyb,
How much are these people charging for sphynx over there?
You need to be careful if you decide to get a sphynx.
If you get one make sure they are HCM scanned.
Some breeders have retired adults or older kittens that they sell way cheaper.
We just had a judge from the U.K. at our last TICA show.
She loved Polar and finaled him both times.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Ruthyb,
How much are these people charging for sphynx over there?
You need to be careful if you decide to get a sphynx.
If you get one make sure they are HCM scanned.
Some breeders have retired adults or older kittens that they sell way cheaper.
We just had a judge from the U.K. at our last TICA show.
She loved Polar and finaled him both times.

Hi, £250, can I post a link on here? x

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen some cats at the shelter that people would define as "ugly" - most of them are housecats tossed outside who have barely survived (frost bitten, starved, scratched up from fighting for their lives) or else intact cats who have literally had to fight to survive.