Tumor / SCC: Defying the Odds with Hospice Care - Living with a Terminally Ill Loved One, I share w

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so, so sorry that Simon has left you.  The love you two shared was inspiring and I know he felt comforted by your presence.  RIP Dear Dear Simon.  We loved you so much.  And thank you for letting us share in his final journey.  The two of you taught me so much about dignity and strength and love. 

[emoji]128557[/emoji] [emoji]128557[/emoji] [emoji]128557[/emoji]

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... I cannot type. I cannot see the screen because of all my tears...

I am so, so sorry.....

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful journey...yes, a journey into love.

I am at a loss for words...just crying too much...

Thank you again for allowing us into Simon's life. 

Again, I am so sorry... You will not have any regrets!! I promise that. When you read your journal, do not second guess yourself. No, "what if's ...no " I should have done this"... 

You did everything that was humanely possible to show Simon love; and to allow him to love you...

again, my condolences to both you and your husband...

love, and many hugs...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Simon's time has come.  The two of you have had a very special and glorious journey together all these years.  I feel so sad for you my dear.  I know there is not  a dry eye in any of us who are reading Simon's journal.  At the same time, there is a sense of peace and joy, reading over the love and fondness the two of you have experienced together over the years.  Yours and Simon's journey together is one for the books, dear.  Your story will live in our hearts forever and I know God has made you, an angel.   RIP our sweet, dear Simon. 

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I, like everyone else here, is crying right along with you. I too could tell the end was near for dear sweet Simon. You could see his eyes getting so very tired. He wanted to stay though for both you and your husband. He held on as long as he could. He loved you both so much, just as much as he was loved.
I am glad he went so peacefully though just drifting away in his sleep. If he had to go,that was the best way. He was next to you and so safe.
I am truly sorry for your loss.
He was a special boy to us all and will be very missed.
RIP Sweet Simon!
You are so loved and will always be remembered!
Please come to your mommy in her dreams and let her know you are fine and are now running freely.
Say hi to my Mickey for me.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am so sorry for your loss. May Simon run Free at the Bridge

I couldn't type because I was in tears. So many of us have been united in Simon's Journey. May he be at peace and your heart as well.

To be able to go to heaven in his home with his mommy at paws length is just wonderful. So blessed. I only hope you have some peace after this long journey. It will take some time getting used to not having to care for another. It will take some adjustment of the missed pitter-patter of paws. Missed purrs and meows. I want to send my condolences again and I am so sorry Simon has gone on to another journey. May you both have some peace in your hearts sooner than later.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, like everyone else here, is crying right along with you. I too could tell the end was near for dear sweet Simon. You could see his eyes getting so very tired. He wanted to stay though for both you and your husband. He held on as long as he could. He loved you both so much, just as much as he was loved.
I am glad he went so peacefully though just drifting away in his sleep. If he had to go,that was the best way. He was next to you and so safe.
I am truly sorry for your loss.
He was a special boy to us all and will be very missed.
RIP Sweet Simon!
You are so loved and will always be remembered!
Please come to your mommy in her dreams and let her know you are fine and are now running freely.
Say hi to my Mickey for me.
I fear Simon was so sheltered, he may not make many friends up there at first. LOL  but I do hope my dad will teach him how.

It's nice to think he's playing with your Mickey, Lamont, our old cat Bitsy, and all the other furry wee angels.  I trust they'll show him what it's like to roam free of any pain.

Thank you again for your kind words.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry for your loss. May Simon run Free at the Bridge

I couldn't type because I was in tears. So many of us have been united in Simon's Journey. May he be at peace and your heart as well.

To be able to go to heaven in his home with his mommy at paws length is just wonderful. So blessed. I only hope you have some peace after this long journey. It will take some time getting used to not having to care for another. It will take some adjustment of the missed pitter-patter of paws. Missed purrs and meows. I want to send my condolences again and I am so sorry Simon has gone on to another journey. May you both have some peace in your hearts sooner than later.
That's what I keep waiting for, his pitter-patter.  Unfortunately he rarely purred.  His daddy scared him while purring at about 7 months or so and he stopped.

Chestnut on the other hand is in the deepest sleep, eyes open, shifting back and forth, legs twitching with a  snoring of a wincing/cry.  She's been odd all morning.

At one point earlier, for now good reason, I said "Simon" in a pitch only used for him.  Well, Chestnut woke up out of a deep sleep, turned her head and looked everywhere for him.  Then looked at me as if to say, "What the Hell".  LOL

They weren't the best of friends, and she often bullied him.  I felt bad considering this was his home first.

Oh well.  So the weather here this morning was perfect, sun, birds, breeze...  Now it's getting dark, very windy and rainy.  I can't help but think Simon has crossed over, and that this morning was made special for him to have a peaceful departure.  

I already had an argument with the cremation establishment, trying to rip me off.  They want'ed cash, plus the amex number (which they don't take) but as a precaution in case their driver gets robbed...  I said Robbery???  You're worried about money and I'm thinking what would happen to Simon's body, I said, your making us pay in full, with the anticipation of  a car jacking, what if you don't produce him, where's my guarantee...  Idiots.

In the end, we'll use our vet.  That way hubby and I can go together in the morning.  @nerdgirl5  recommended her vet, who is very reasonable and caring.  I called but unfortunately they're on the upper westside, too far out of the way to go before work.  But if anyone needs a vet that specializes in cat's only in the NYC area.  Send her a PM or myself.  If I was closer I'd use them.

I'm doing okay.  Over time I hope to remember Simon before the illness.

Again, thank you all for your support.  Hope

edwardthefirst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Simon....and oh you @2Cats4everLoved. I am so so sorry to switch on my mac and to read this news. One knows these things are going to happen - but one wishes that they wouldn't.

I hope you get to take comfort in the wonderful life that you gave Simon over the coming weeks. He couldn't have wished for more or for a better quality of love. He was a lucky boy - and clearly a charismatic one too. Thank you for sharing him with us! You have illustrated and described his spirit so beautifully on these pages, a spirit that I feel sure lives on, in some form.

I'm glad you were able to be there at the end with him. That in itself is a comfort, and that he went peacefully.

Sending you many hugs from The Smoke, Kate n Eddie

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
So many hugs to you and Simon's daddy :hugs:

I have to admit that reading your last post took my breath away and my heart skipped a beat. Your beautiful journey with Simon the Great is not over it's just become something new! The beautiful and peaceful passing you allowed Simon is beyond words! I'm so glad he passed in his sleep next to you, paw in hand... Run free Simon, you very special kitty [emoji]128149[/emoji]

This song reminds me of my dad when he passed... He was fortunate that his hospice care lasted less than a week. I've never shared this with anyone else but I had to because you and Simon touched my soul. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

rayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! I am crying so hard, i can barely type.

I am glad that he went peacefully and showered in love. 

*hugs* Thank you for sharing his journey with us.

Rayne and Bubba

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a much loved cat like Simon finally succeeds in making his transition to the next world, it is like a birth.  His body is no longer part of your body, but his soul is forever a part of your soul, and because you shared this with us, a part of our souls too.  While the thread may be locked in a little bit so that no one adds questions on the end, not realizing it is the end of this particular journey, it will still be here for everyone to read, and many of us will use it to refer to, as an example to others facing end-of-life decisions, so they can see that there is a path that does not go through radical surgery or immediate euthanasia, but finds a way to keep these furbabies with terminal illnesses comfortable and happy at home until we can't do that any longer.  It is not a path for the weak or the overly busy, but if one has time and wants to do it, yes, it can be a beautiful experience.  Anyone who has gone through a similar time with a parent or a child knows this. 

In my experience, the time just before passing is the hardest time, because you don't know if it will go smoothly, and you don't want him to suffer, and you never know when it will be until you know. You pretty much knew it would be last night/this morning.  You had made the footprints, and you had seen the footprints in the clouds.  You could see that Simon was letting go of his body, but when he would try to jump up, it would hold him down.  Until that last leap he made and found himself free, weightless, energized by love.  He will probably hang around for awhile.  It seems that mine do, and the others go out and lie on their graves -- my friends' cats do that too.  He may send you a sign.  One person thought she was seeing things when an exact silhouette of her cat appeared on the porch.  On closer inspection, it was a leaf that stuck in the screen, but it presented a perfect Siamese profile.  She posted the picture on Facebook.  I think that when you sleep, he will sleep beside you for a long time, even if he's out playing during the day.  Chestnut can probably feel or even see him when he's around.  Cats are quite amazing with that.   This thread is a tribute to Simon all the way through, but you can go to the Crossing the Bridge Forum and post a memorial whenever you are ready, and then others will see it too, others who were not involved in this journey. 

Thank you, and thanks to Simon, for sharing your end of life journey with us.

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's Diary:  "Our Bittersweet Journey...the long goodbye" Afterword...

Even though Simon's Journey has come to an end.   I want to say, I look forward to learning about each and everyone of you.  You have all taken the time to get to know Simon, Chestnut and myself,  With all my attention on Simon, I feel I didn't get to know your stories as I should have.  I think it would be nice to ride along on your journeys.

I truly can't express how much it's all meant.  I know you all know how I feel.  

I know they will lock this thread soon, so I leave you with one more...

Below, What can I say...  my bundle of love, my buddy,  my little guy

Warmest regards to you all, Hope & Simon

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, rest assured that your Dad is with your Simon, taking care of him for you.
I believe my Mom is also with my Mickey, taking care of him for me. I need to believe that with all my heart.
I truly hate cancer. It is a devastating disease. I lost both my Mom and Mickey to cancer. I almost list my husband also, but he is a cancer survivor, five years now.
Take Care!
Hoping for peace for both you and your husband.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this.

There was nothing "selfish" about wanting your boy to keep living.  It wasn't that you wanted him to be in pain, you just wanted him to be himself a little longer.

I'm certain you'll be blaming yourself, feeling guilty, because that's what we do, but please know that there is nothing more you could have done.  Nothing that you did for Simon was in any way wrong for him.  He loved you dearly, and was happy for the all the time he was able to spend with you.

We'll all miss him.

Margret

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope, I just found out.  When you saw the "paw prints" in the sky, I too knew it would be soon.  I literally cried all day yesterday.  I told you about how peaceful Tiger's passing was, and oh how I prayed for that for you and Simon.  I am so relieved that our (yes, you made him ours too) beautiful, incredible, courageous Simon made his transition between one peaceful breath and the next.  I'm trying to type this quickly before the thread closes, just to say that I hope you feel all of the love surrounding you both.  We are all on our way to the Rainbow Bridge, and I know that Simon's spirit lives on and one day I too will meet this wonderful boy.  He will never, ever be forgotten.  It seems like the whole world is crying tonight, missing Simon.  God bless you, sweetheart.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never posted in this thread but have been reading along from the start marveling at the strength, grace and courage you, Simon and your husband negotiated this journey with. Each day, I would pray that you all would have just one more day together. You inspired me each and every day with your devotion to him. In the end,I'm happy that his passing was peaceful and that you two were together in the end. Simon is at peace now and I hope that despite the grief, you and your family will be comforted by that.

Sending much love to you and your family

[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP Simon [emoji]128149[/emoji]

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I kept putting off coming here.  I think I knew.  I'm sending you something via PM.  As I sit here weeping, some bit of me rejoices, knowing that Simon is free, and no longer in pain.  Oh, Darlin, be strong.  You gave him all that any living creature could ask.
I'm rejoicing here as I sit looking at Chestnut look at Simon.  They're both in front of the fish tank.  Chess needed to grieve a bit, she was anxious all morning.

The weather started out perfect, then the mid afternoon got dark stormy driving rain, now the windows are open and its beautiful, windows open, perfect temp, perfect breeze, just the kind of night I love.  I'm certain Simon has something to do with this.

Thank you so much...  Your words have been comforting.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so, so sorry :( I cannot stop the tears. Thank you for giving him so much these last few months. There is nothing more special than being able to give to them all that they have given to us. Truly, it is. It doesn't feel that way now probably, but it does. It's a bittersweet gift, of course.

I am glad that he drifted off in his sleep. I think that is something we all wish for, but so rarely get. The love in this thread is beyond belief.

:grphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.