Tumor / SCC: Defying the Odds with Hospice Care - Living with a Terminally Ill Loved One, I share w

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: to the humans and smootches for Simon & Chestnut!

Simon the Great! He has stolen many hearts here at TCS and will be remembered by all! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Sending lots of love and peace to you and Simon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's better days.  May 11, 2010 - When he was a baby,  I thought the mark under his chin was dried kitten milk and I rubbed and rubbed and it wouldn't come off. LOL  It actually got darker as he got older. LOL 

earlier today...

I ran to the vet to pick up extra pain med's and the tech said to do what I'm doing.  If he's not in pain or appear uncomfortable no need to make a decision.  Especially since I'm able to be home with him.

I had placed him on the floor in a bundle of blankets  so he wouldn't fall off the sofa.  When I got home it looked as if he tried to take a few steps and gave up.

I carried him to his litter box and held him and little urine came out.

He is loving that homemade pedialyte so that's a good thing.

Simon's jaw shifted and so did his tongue, although it's making it easier to get down liquids more now than how we ended last week.  

For his stiff legs, I'm massaging them and bending them in and out, I'm also taking his paws in my fist and slightly plusing them, similar to the act of a hospital circulation sock pumps.  He seems to enjoy it.

Now it's time for coffee....

Simon's Journey Continues...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Waking up to that sweet face must have made your heart skip a beat - I know it would have mine.

What an amazing little fighter you have. And what an amazing mommy and daddy he has! If there was ever any doubt that you were meant to be with each other, I think this squashed any of those.

And now I'll stop before I start crying this morning. Will check back in this afternoon :hugs: Thinking good thoughts for you all and sending lots of love.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of you! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
just checking in.....(((hugs)))  letting you know we are all here for you...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

How is "our" boy?
Wondering that myself.  Almost afraid to ask...
  We all know his time is short, so it's almost with dread that I open this thread, but I need to know what is happening, and need to be here for Simon's Mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's Diary:  "Our Bittersweet Journey...the long goodbye"  last minutes.  

My sweet boy Simon lost his battle this morning June 7th, 2016 sometime between 4:30-4:53am,   My prayers were answered and he drifted off peacefully, paw in hand.

Monday June 7th - Yesterday was heartbreaking.  Reality hit in the morning when my husband left for work and Simon couldn't walk him to the door.  I held Simon in the hall as my husband left and prayed that my hubby would see him in the evening, if for nothing else, just to say goodbye.

Simon had lost all mobility and the look in his eyes was telling me the time was near.  I gave him his Buprenex around 2 in the afternoon, put him on his dads chair, kept him comfortable, covered and gave him water and the homemade pedialyte every 20 minutes right up until bedtime.  

At this point it wasn't to drink and keep him alive, it was more to keep his mouth wet, keeping him comfortable.  

His mind was still sharp all day and when his daddy came through the door from work, his ears perked up and he jolted his body as if to catapult off the chair, but couldn't.  Other familiar sounds last night also perked him up, but you could see as he'd perk up, he'd then realize moving wasn't possible.   I could see a sadness, depression perhaps in his eyes. For the first time, it was a look I've never seen in his eyes.

I really think he was waiting for all of us to be together.

All afternoon, I kept telling him, if you give me a sign more can be done, let me know,  I'll help, let me know.  But all I could do was keep him comfortable with water, brushing's, massages and just talk to him softly.

In the evening around 9ish, I noticed this SCC/Cancer and eaten and taken more of his jaw and now, his tongue was disappearing.  In a matter of 24 hours, again like last week, there was a noticeable difference within hours.

I made him his final blanket fort at 11:00pm and placed him in.  He seemed as if he was trying to push out a bowel, so I took him to the litter box and held him up, but no go.  He was like a marionette with broken strings.  So back to the fort we went.

I'll admit, I was mentally exhausted.  I usually read before bed, but couldn't even hold the book.

I just grabbed his paw and we stared at each other.  I kept telling him "let go my Si Si - pronounced Sigh Sigh... again and again.  

I said the prayer, Now I lay me down to sleep, over and over, and every time I got to the part, if I die before I wake, I just broke down and welled up feeling helpless, that's when Simon looked at me as if to say, "you can't help me anymore mommy".  I held onto his paw, and fell asleep looking into his eyes.

Throughout the night strange dreams kept waking me up.  And every time I woke up, he was still with us.  I woke up around 4:20am, and at that point his heart was still beating.  I fell out into a deep sleep only to be woken up by yet another strange dream, where we all had to get out...  not sure where we were but we had to leave and fast.  I woke up holding Simon's paw, but when I tugged on it, he didn't do "spread paw" and grab me back, I put my hand under his arm and didn't feel his heart beating.  I turned up the light, and saw he was not moving.  I checked again for his heartbeat but couldn't find it.  He was still toasty warm, and when I put my ear to his mouth, I could hear gurgling.  I picked him up and went to the sofa and just held him.  I kept hearing sounds from his mouth, and his eyes were open staring back at me.  I put him in the chair and laid down on the sofa and just pet him and held his paw until 7:55am, that was when the pads on his paws turned white and my sweet boy was cool.  It was then I knew he has left me for good.

At that point, being in caregiver mode, I cleaned up all the towels to go into the laundry.  Took Simon's litter box out of the bathroom and made room for Chestnut.  Fixed her new eating area and an area for Chestnut in the window on the bed with a clean sheet, and I placed her there.  She looked around to see if Simon was around being it was his spot, but then she settled in.  

Chess was a bit off this morning and went up to his body, then scooted away.  Last night, she laid on the floor and just looked up at him.  I think she knew then. 

Most of you told me that this would be hard, and as prepared as I was for this day, I'm so very sad.  Even knowing he wasn't himself, I can't help but feel selfish wanting one more day.

Friday was the last day he was able to jump up and down hard like he used to.  And not hearing his thud since then felt like he was already gone.  I'm waiting for him to jump off the bed and make his grand entrance and grace us with his cuteness.  It wasn't meant to be.

Below, Our Last Night...

Strangely, that is exactly the position Simon was in when he passed and hauntingly looks the same, minus the pink paws.

Right now, I have Simon lying on his favorite towel on the floor by the fish tank.  His eye open as if he's taking one last look.  I find it to be hauntingly peaceful, seeing him lying there so cozy and restful.

His body will be picked up this evening when my husband gets home.  I couldn't do it alone.  I'll head out and get a small box to keep him.

What can I say, he was my "special one".  He came into my life after a miscarriage, all I wanted was a boy, then Simon appeared. 

*************************************************************************************************************

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, well wishes and positive vibes.

You have all played a tremendous role throughout this journey in keeping Simon alive, helping me  in moments of great doubt, giving me words of encouragement allowing me to step back, take a breath, and rethink my approach for tackling this debilitating disease attacking my sweet boy.

The advice given to me throughout this journey has been invaluable.  Advice I will never forget and will remember if needed in the future.  

@Marg

@mrsgreenjeens

@Red Top Rescue

@LotsofFur

@Artiemom

@Margret

@Donutte

@foxxycat

@MaggieMay

@Mamanyt1953

@nerdgirl5

@kittensmom

@Stewball

@Edwardthefirst

@mphscat

@mazie

@Abby2932

@Inanna

@Misty8723

@SheriT

@JennyR

@Loving Mickey

@Terri holly ivy

@Verna davies

I really can't thank you enough

Below, Simon, Deep in Thought

Below, That Face...

Below, Not a care in the world...

Simon's Journey, Has Ended

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh!  I am so very sorry to hear this!!!  I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier.  Know that Simon knew how much you loved him and cared for him til his last moments.  You really really were there for him and I know he knew it.  Rest in peace, dear Simon.

If you need anything at all, just ask!  In the meanwhile, sending massive hugs and love!  

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry the dreaded time has come :(

Simon was the luckiest guy in the world to have you. He must have been so happy to have you there holding him during his last moments.

You will be in  thoughts <3 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say. I'm so very sorry about Simon. I know how you feel.
Simon was a lovely boy and you and your husband are lovely people. It'll hurt for some time but it gets easier.
Hugs.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
However much one expects bad news, it is never easy. But you made Simon's journey as easy as it could possibly be for him; right to the end he was loved and knew it, he was able to stay in his beloved home, responding to the end to the familiar sounds and smells, and finally leaving as he held on to you in his sleep. No-one could ask for more.

I think, as this is such a special thread, that others will want to respond immediately, so I will leave it opne for another hour or two. Then I, or another mod, will close it, leaving it to you as to when you feel able to open a Bridge thread. Meanwhile my heartfelt sympathy goes out to you, even knowing that your beloved boy is at rest at last.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can barely type I'm crying so hard.  I knew it was coming...soon.  I feared when there was no update when I checked this morning that it had happened during the night. 

What a wonderful way to go though, paw in hand, in his sleep.  So very peaceful.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Run free, in a healthy body, dear sweet
  Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.