Tumor / SCC: Defying the Odds with Hospice Care - Living with a Terminally Ill Loved One, I share w

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@mphscat  - Hog away, LOL I asked.  That was part of the reason why I started this, so I learn about others going through or have been though similar experiences.

Your Maggie is quite the world traveler.  Wow, Simon thinks he's hot stuff when he makes it to the floor above with out our supervision. LOL  

Maggie really is a gorgeous girl.  She's so grey she looks blue.  Beautiful.

Well, you've certainly been through a lot together, I can't imagine how strong your bond is with her, unbreakable...

I'm glad she's feeling well after this last round of chemo, it's great how comfortable you feel with your oncologist.  

I'm going to check out the Yahoo Feline Lymphoma website.  

you said it beautifully,

below..

It just proves that we all have our own stories with our babies and we all share one common link together....we're on this website because we CARE.  Because these furry beings have our hearts and souls and we're just trying to do the best, learn what we can, get answers to our questions and hope and pray that we've done it all, that we've done it right.  

Maggie too, knows how lucky she is.  It's funny how they pop into our lives.  It seems in most cases it's out of the blue.

Best to you and Maggie  Thank's again for your kind words.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like we are all keeping vigil over Simon. It's truly a blessing to be able to have this time. I know so many people that would NOT feel that way... but I know I do. It's a gift to us that so many people too often do not have. The gift of taking care of our babies in their time of need, after loving us unconditionally for so many years. That's not to say our hearts are not breaking in the process, but that is par for the course. Watching Sara enjoy her time in the sunshine gave me more pleasure than anything else. It let me know this was all worth it. And watching her show interest in the laser pointer. She didn't chase it, as she didn't have the energy - but boy did she come to attention and keep it in her line of sight!

I love hearing stories of Simon and his "girlfriend". Eating the baby food. Gosh, anyone that has ever had a cat that wouldn't eat knows how much eating can be a cherished moment. Hearing about him just enjoying his life. That is such an important part of this whole journey. It can so easily get lost in all the pillings and injections and everything else that goes along with this. But you have somehow kept sight of it, which is truly amazing.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's Diary:  "Our Bittersweet Journey...the long goodbye"  Day by Day

@Donutte

Your words are very comforting and very much appreciated
below...  After feeding, Chestnut looking carefully at Simon wondering if he's holding out on any goodies.  

Simon looking like, She's still here...

Tuesday, May 3rd...

Simon was up with us at 7:00 a.m., he wasn't interested in drinking, but did his usual business in the bathroom and hung out under his chair.

below...  getting much needed attention from daddy.

At 9:45 Simon ate and entire jar of the Gerber beef, then settled in for a nap.

below...  Simon with a full belly.

I gave him a dose of his pain med's at noon and let him rest.  

At 12:45 p.m. I made tuna salad for myself for lunch, so I took the juice and stored it in a baby food jar, out of curiosity I held the jar under Simon's nose and he started sucking down the juice.  After drinking 1/2 the jar, he followed me into kitchen and I opened a new jar of Gerber beef, mixed it with the juice and mashed up 2 table spoon of tuna, and he ate the entire thing.

He drank very little, then went back to bed.

Later around 4:30 p.m.I heard scratching, I was on the sofa doing some paperwork, so I looked out the window, saw nothing, then I went to look out the kitchen windows, but it was Simon scratching at the refrigerator door, lol  He hasn't done that since his diagnosis.

below... Simon enjoying the freedom from syringe eating.

I took out another jar I filled with tuna juice and opened another jar of Gerber beef mixed it and it gone in minutes.  I actually had to open another jar but he didn't finish it.  He still wasn't drinking enough water so I mixed cold water with the tuna juice and he drank all of it and came back for more.  Unfortunately Chestnut heard the commotion and came out which spooked Simon.  Still, not bad.

So far today between the beef and tuna mixed, he ate 4 baby food jars worth of food, 10 oz of food and drank 7 1/2 oz liquid.  And the days still young.

My neighbor gave us some Royal Canin Kitten Food, so I think I'll put the tuna juice over the food, and maybe he'll gobble that up as well.

Our goal is one more jar before bed.

I know sometimes cats will eat lots as a last meal...  That thought is not lost on me in anyway, but I say again, he won't be traveling on an empty belly.

Please note:  Simon has always been a veggie, dairy and tuna juice lover.  Thankfully he's never been an over eater.  He's always gotten these items in small doses.

Being that he's terminal, he's getting what he wants.  He's good at knowing his limitations, even now.  He's very content with is tummy full.

For those reading this to get ideas and don't know about various foods cat's should and shouldn't eat, I urge you to speak with your vet before feeding these items to your loved ones, not all little bellies can handle them.  Do your research.  I know Simon and what he can handle.

Simon's Journey Continues...

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuna juice has always been a great way to get many of them to drink more fluids.  The "recie" is to put the entire can of tuna into a quart jar of water and shake it up.  For those who shouldnt eat the tuna, you strain the liquid into another jar and use that, but if you have a cat that will eat the tuna, no problem.  You have to refrigerate the leftover juice of course.  I used this a lot on my FLUTD cat while transitioning her from her previous all dry food diet at the shelter to a low carb grain-free wet food diet that she now lives on.  She has been trouble free for almost six months now.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I look back at this journal of living with a family member with a terminal illness and think that when you started it, you had no idea it would be this long!  Such an exercise in taking one day at a time and loving in the face of impending loss rather than withdrawing to protect your heart.  The way you are doing it will allow you to get over his passing relatively quickly.  The ones that haunt you forever are the ones where you feel guilt.  I had one of those years ago.  It still hurts.  But it made me into a much better cat guardian for the cats who came later.  I learned that you can't really go around the pain, you have to go straight through it.

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I look back at this journal of living with a family member with a terminal illness and think that when you started it, you had no idea it would be this long!  Such an exercise in taking one day at a time and loving in the face of impending loss rather than withdrawing to protect your heart.  The way you are doing it will allow you to get over his passing relatively quickly.  The ones that haunt you forever are the ones where you feel guilt.  I had one of those years ago.  It still hurts.  But it made me into a much better cat guardian for the cats who came later.  I learned that you can't really go around the pain, you have to go straight through it.
You know @Red Top Rescue  I haven't gone back to read this thread since I started it.  Thinking back to the date it would seem like a life time ago.

I do think you're right, I believe writing about this unfortunate situation has kept me in the "here" and "now".  And I do think I will get over the actual "passing" of Simon fairly quickly, but I think down the road I'll have extreme moments of sadness as I long for his company.  I've always been like that though, coming from a family with terminally members, death, loss, grieving was learned from the time I was 4, and I'm the type to grieve as the years go on, not in the actual moment.

One positive thing that crosses my mind - I still have Chestnut, and in a small way, I'm looking forward to see what her true personality is, I see her being a real funny gal and feeling safe with no one to attack her, she could be fun to play with, she's pretty smart.  She was always silenced by Simon. He wasn't very sweet with her and could be a bully.  

I'm taking the pain head on best I can.  Like you said, I hope this makes me a better guardian for my sweet girl, in the sense, I'll be much more aware of when something isn't right see the vet asap.  I'll always wonder if, with Simon...  That will be my "guilt".  Even thought the vet said nothing could have been done.  I would have fattened him up a little more, and thinking how the Clindamycin worked wonders, he wouldn't have been throwing up as much as he did, etc...  oh well, can't change it now.

Even though Simon had a good day today, he's got an attitude.  He's pissed at me because I kicked him out of his bag so I could turn down the bed.

I wish the weather wasn't going to be rainy all week, he's so much happier when the sun is shining.  

Tomorrow's another day!

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your stories with me, it helps a great deal.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
===EDIT===
I'm taking the pain head on best I can.  Like you said, I hope this makes me a better guardian for my sweet girl, in the sense, I'll be much more aware of when something isn't right see the vet asap.  I'll always wonder if, with Simon...  That will be my "guilt".  Even thought the vet said nothing could have been done.  I would have fattened him up a little more, and thinking how the Clindamycin worked wonders, he wouldn't have been throwing up as much as he did, etc...  oh well, can't change it now.
===EDIT===
Ah, yes.  The old "If only I had known then what I know now!" guilt.  If only you were omniscient, and omnipotent, this would all have gone differently.  And so it would.  But, wait a sec..  Isn't that a description of God?!

Something that I have trouble getting my head around is why anyone (even an obviously crazy person, like Trump) would actually want to be president, and yet people do, and not all of them are insane.  When things are completely out of control, loved ones are dying, you feel totally helpless, then it's tempting to wish that you had godlike powers.  But if you think about it for a moment, about the responsibility those powers would entail, it begins to appear less enticing than it did at first.  If you had that kind of knowledge and power you'd feel that you had to save, not just all the cats on TCS, but all cats.  And then you'd have to save all the birds that the cats go after.  And then you'd have to wipe out cancer entirely, and humans would live longer, and our abuse of the already overpopulated planet would grow worse, and, and, and....

It gives me a headache just contemplating everything that would be involved in that particular job.

Margret

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah, yes.  The old "If only I had known then what I know now!" guilt.  If only you were omniscient, and omnipotent, this would all have gone differently.  And so it would.  But, wait a sec..  Isn't that a description of God?!

Something that I have trouble getting my head around is why anyone (even an obviously crazy person, like Trump) would actually want to be president, and yet people do, and not all of them are insane.  When things are completely out of control, loved ones are dying, you feel totally helpless, then it's tempting to wish that you had godlike powers.  But if you think about it for a moment, about the responsibility those powers would entail, it begins to appear less enticing than it did at first.  If you had that kind of knowledge and power you'd feel that you had to save, not just all the cats on TCS, but all cats.  And then you'd have to save all the birds that the cats go after.  And then you'd have to wipe out cancer entirely, and humans would live longer, and our abuse of the already overpopulated planet would grow worse, and, and, and....

It gives me a headache just contemplating everything that would be involved in that particular job.

Margret
Hi Margret -

When @Red Top Rescue  mentioned when I started, I didn't have a clue Simon would still be alive "come May",   I skimmed back through older posts and came across one where I spoke about skipping his vet appointment last year.  It wasn't total neglect on my part but I did have to make that other decision, Him or Me...  I needed to address a health issue, and honestly, without me they're screwed...  My husband is wonderful and caring, but he lacks the eyes to notice when things are wrong.  He just doesn't have that instinct.  So without me healthy and here, I fear their health issues would go unnoticed until it was too late.  I have since discussed this with my husband and have left him notes regarding Chestnut, Simon and the Fish, on what to do "in case" something happens to me.

So what I meant about the "if" - is "if" I took him last year to the vet, would  this have been detected, I will always wonder.  Not "if" I had "God Like" powers could I have foreseen the future...

As I said in earlier post, the Clindamycin alone worked wonders, so being put on that alone would have done wonders, it stopped the constipation and vomiting.  If nothing else, he would have been more comfortable.  Too late now.

But as @Red Top Rescue  also said, it will make me more aware of "issues" for my sweet girl Chestnut and other future feline sweethearts we open our home to, and I will give them better care regarding urgency of vet visits.

Simon's Diary.....  

Wednesday, May 4th. 

So far this morning at 10:00 a.m. Simon has eaten 2 Gerber jars filled with the mixed beef baby food - ground tuna - tuna juice diluted with water.

Question:   How much water intake should a cat consume in a day to remain hydrated.

Simon hasn't been drinking from the tub, but now that he's drinking the tuna juice and eating out of a bowl, it's hard to tell if he's drinking, he could be sneaking in the middle of the night like he used to...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but you were right -- you do need to take care of your own health.  Look, there are always trade offs.  We do the best we can with the information that's available to us.  You're right; it's worthwhile to learn from this experience.  The things that aren't worthwhile are blaming yourself, and becoming paranoid about the health of your other cats.

As for knowing whether he's getting enough liquid, do the tent test.  http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/common-emergencies/e_ct_dehydration.  That should tell you, and if necessary you can start giving him subcutaneous fluids, which is both easier and less painful for the cat than you might think.

Margret

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you and Simon doing?
@Abby2932, Thanks for asking.

I'm going to post update tonight.  But I will tell you when I said - Defy the Odds, this cats amazing...  I really don't know where he's getting these bursts of life.

He's eating very well.  Only thing is, I wish the Sun would shine so I can get a good idea on his mood. It's been nothing but grey, rainy and really cold.  Only good for sleeping.

I'll post pictures tonight.  

Thanks again.  

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm new to the Forum and I came across your incredible journal yesterday.  I read it without stopping, and reached the last page pretty much holding my breath.  And then I found that Simon is still eating, drinking and playing!  That boy of yours is AMAZING!!!  As are you.  You are both in my thoughts and will remain in my prayers.  Two brave hearts showing what love can do, I cannot begin to tell you what an inspiration you both are.  Animals live in the moment, and you are learning to do the same because of beautiful Simon.  Like most long-time pet parents, I have lost some, so I know the pain involved.  All I can tell you is that the unconditional love and the bond you two share is such a rare and precious gift, and I know you are well aware of that and find joy in it.  Stay strong, sweetie, as strong as Simon's awesome courageous spirit.  What a boy!

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you @2Cats4everLoved  for your purraise and kind comment.

Lamont is ok. I'm taking it day by day. Some days he rests more, doesn't eat as much, others, he more alert, eats more.  Most days I have to hand feed him, at least, part of one meal. 

He's 15 1/2 so I'm grateful for all the time I've had with him and hoping against hope he's here longer.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's Diary:  "Our Bittersweet Journey...the long goodbye"  Day by Day

Wednesday May 4th thru Sunday May 8th, 2016

I have to say, last week was a pretty terrific week.  I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a read on Simon since the weather was cold and rainy with no sun in sight, all I could expect from him was much sleeping.  

I kept his little bowl full of Gerber beef with tuna juice he kept eating.  The down side is felt inclined to eat the Chunk White tuna all week giving me a bad headache from the mercury, LOL. Nothing a little Advil couldn't cure.  I eat tuna about once or twice a year and I filled my quota for the next 5 years, lol. Not to mention it was getting costly.

Because Simon needs the tuna juice to wet his appetite, I now keep a 16 oz plastic container in the fridge filled with water and in it, one can of the chunk light tuna, As I use the juice/water, I add more water to it and it flavors the water to his liking.

Simon drank a lot as well as ate, and he finally had a healthy bowel movement Friday. All is as well as it can be.

Wednesday, May 4th

below, Simon drinking again after a day of uncertainty.  But he managed to get the hang of it again.

below, Simon relaxing after drinking and eating...  his ears are pink again.

Thursday, May 5th

below, Simon sleeping soundly on a full belly

afternoon nap                                               tucked in at bedtime

Friday, May 6th

below, Simon hunkered down with a full tummy on muggy rainy day.

right, all the empty food containers Simon consumed Monday thru Friday.... YAY!!!  He started working on the Royal Canin Kitten
Please note...  Juice from tuna only.

below, Friday Night..  fed and hydrated, Simon is King of the Castle, once again!

"Let's Get it On"...                             napping with his "girlfriend"

Saturday, May 7th

below, Simon exhausted after a night of passion... 

Simon was growing tired of the baby food and was beginning to be difficult, he didn't even want the high protein foods he had been given with the syringe I guess it turned him off, even with tuna juice, it wasn't happening.  

So at 8:00 p.m. it was back to the drawing board.  I gave my neighbor back the remainder of the high cal foods, she then gave us Fancy Feast, shredded tuna and beef & liver pate, and a bunch of Wellness Salmon.  I blended the Shredded Tuna, and Simon gobbled up the entire can.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

right, Simon full, hydrated and extremely satisfied.
Sunday, May, 8th

below, Simon playing peek a boo on Sunday morn.

Then - to get Simon out of hiding, his daddy shook his "girlfriend" and he came running out to save her.

below, What a hero, LOL

right, Look Ma, No Hands!!!  note, he hasn't cleaned himself in a while.  He was one happy kitty.

below, Simon totally satisfied with food & activities... and it's not even 10 a.m.

Also leftSimon after he ate an entire can of the Wellness Salmon, blended of course.

Sunday morning "love fest" continues.

below, "What light through yonder window breaks"...

below, "Oh Romeo, Romeo"...

right, Enough bonding.    You can see his middle packed on a little meat.  He's so much meatier than last week.

below, Simon enjoying Sunday dinner.

Thank goodness for our neighbor.  She feeds the neighborhood feral's and has access to the food trucks that come around.  It's such a help, being that the med's are starting to add up.  BUT it's all worth it.

As of NOW, Monday night, May 9th.  Since Saturday night at 8 p.m., Simon has enjoyed 6 cans of food.  He's averaging about 2 1/2 cans a day.  I don't get it, perhaps he didn't like the high protein foods and didn't want to eat it, and I actually forced him to eat with the syringe?  I thought it was because of his jaw.  Or it could be his tongue shifted to where he can slop up the food.  

Whatever, the reason, I'm thrilled to see my baby boy eating his heart out.  Every Sunday, I ask him if he's going to be around for next weekend, and he keeps hanging on.  If his tumor and bones hold out, this can work for a while.  It's nice to put food down and be able to go off and take care of my own business, I'm able to take a breath. Although, I made the mistake and put his food bowl on the kitchen floor, Chestnut woke up and steamrolled over him like an army tank and started to eat his food.

For the first time ever, I raised my voice to her.  I felt so bad.  She's actually not supposed to eat fish, that was what the adoption center said, and sure enough later on she started doing this burping thing.  I have to fix Simon's food on the bed, out of sight from her.  Although, when Simon finishes eating he shakes his head and drool flies all over like a bulldog. LOL

It's somewhat normal living and he's feeling independent, which shows.  His attitude is that of a happy, proud kitty.  Simon is even sleeping in between hubby's feet again, which is great for me, since I've been huddled up, I can now stretch out and get good sleep myself.  Oh yeah, this morning, he even played with the ball attached to his chair, it was so cute to see him entertain himself.

I do think he's getting used to the pain med's, they're having a different effect on him now.  He can function on them whereas before, he just slept.

Fingers crossed, this continues for a while.

This is one cat who is Defying the Odds.

To boot, the notebook I started is almost filled.  I didn't expect to use up even a 1/4 of the pages.

Still not in denial.  With every passing day, I know we're one day closer...  BUT again, to see Simon gain his self respect and independence back, for me there's a certain comfort and satisfaction knowing he's happy. Even if it's only for a short time.

Simon's Journey Continues...

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is truly WONDERFUL news!!! I'm thrilled for you (and Simon!) And hope this continues for a long, long time!

It's given me a little hope today--even though today was a tough one.  Lamont hasn't eaten much in a couple of days.  Roughly, about one 3 ounce can of Fancy Feast salmon a day.  He seems a little more hungry tonight. He didn't eat lunch at all, hardly touched breakfast. But has eaten close to 3/4 of his dinner (which is half a 3 ounce can.)  This all obviously, concerns me. He's also sleeping more.  When he gets up, his leg is a little wonky (though the tumor is on his rib near the back, it's so big, I fear it's spreading towards his leg.) I don't know if he's in pain, but suspect so (only because he's sleeping a lot.) He can't be given most pain meds (no steroids) because of his diabetes. Most of those meds will take him out of diabetic remission.  

Everybody says, "You'll know" when it's time to let him go.  I truthfully don't know how I will know.  I don't want to do anything prematurely and I don't want him to suffer. 

It's a terrible position to be in.

So your story with Simon eating again certainly gives me hope!  Thank you. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
"...after a night of passion..." :lol3: I loved that part.

I'm so glad to hear he's eating so much! Not surprised you had to switch up the foods on him, that's part of the daily battle with CKD kitties it seems, so imagine it's similar any time kitties have appetite issues. But, as long as he's eating, that's the important thing. And love that he's enjoying his "dates" with his "girlfriend"! What a sweet, sweet boy - and such a STRONG boy at that! And you are SUCH a good mommy, so patient and loving. I love to see this. I really do.

As always, I enjoy reading your updates. I hope they continue to be good, but am also aware things can change at a moment's notice. That's why we enjoy all the little victories so much though, right?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"...after a night of passion..."
I loved that part.

I'm so glad to hear he's eating so much! Not surprised you had to switch up the foods on him, that's part of the daily battle with CKD kitties it seems, so imagine it's similar any time kitties have appetite issues. But, as long as he's eating, that's the important thing. And love that he's enjoying his "dates" with his "girlfriend"! What a sweet, sweet boy - and such a STRONG boy at that! And you are SUCH a good mommy, so patient and loving. I love to see this. I really do.

As always, I enjoy reading your updates. I hope they continue to be good, but am also aware things can change at a moment's notice. That's why we enjoy all the little victories so much though, right?
@Donutte  Yes, these little victories seem like battles won.  My neighbor gave us Wellness Duck, but he's resistant.  He's a tuna kitty now.  So this morning when he didn't eat the duck, I opened up Fancy Feast shredded tuna and also blended the chunk light tuna, separately, and put the duck on the bottom, shredded tuna in the middle then chunk light tuna/juices on top and he just ate.  

The med's are working much differently now, I'm not used to him being so awake and active. LOL  It made me nervous at first.  I forgot which member said their cat used to go nuts on the Buprenex but it seems as if  that's the way Simon's headed.  It's nice knowing that he remembers all the vocabulary we taught him.  He's no longer lethargic.

He actually dashed out the apartment door this morning into the hall, following my hubby to work. LOL  His hind legs are so much stronger, it looks as if his muscles are becoming flexible again.  It is nice to be able to take a breather and enjoy being in the moment.

Downside, my apartment smells like tuna fish. LOL

I made a gif of Simon's passionate moments with the song "Let's Get it On" but youtube silenced me. LOL  it'was funny too. Oh well.....

Thanks again for your support and insight.

@MaggieMay  Thank you for your kind words of support.  They are welcomed as always.

@nerdgirl5  - I hope Lamont is eating.  Have you tried blending it or mashing it up until smooth.  I find with Simon one lap of the tongue is a "good" 1/2 teaspoon.  I use a wasabi dish to feed him, it's small and he's not intimidated as he was with a  big bowl, or having me feed him from a spoon with a shaky hand.   The spoon makes Simon a little anxious, I think because he knows he needs me to help.  To get Simon started I do hold the little dish up to him and will hold it until he's in the zone. I'm finding tuna juice works wonders.  If Lamont's diet allows, it may wet his appetite.  Good luck, keep me updated on your sweet boy.

Thanks again all...  Fingers Crossed.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful journey you are sharing with us.  May it continue on and on and on.  When all is said and done, you should publish your journal.  What a beautiful tribute that would be for Simon's memory. 

Status
Not open for further replies.