Tumor / SCC: Defying the Odds with Hospice Care - Living with a Terminally Ill Loved One, I share w

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon's Diary:  "Our Bittersweet Journey...the long goodbye"

Simon was diagnosed with SCC February 11th.  Today we will celebrate our 2 month long journey with some vanilla bean Haagen Dazs, lol.

Although this hasn't been easy, I wouldn't change a thing I've done, so far all has worked out in our favor.  Simon & I continue to work together using the bond we've built on respect, consideration, love and on my part and many others, the power of prayer.  All our efforts are paying off.  

My time with my sweet boy is limited I know, but I choose not to look into dark days ahead, for now I'll keep enjoying these precious moments minute by minute.

I admit, we've had our fair share of tears and doubt, but seeing Simon this morning, enjoying life, grooming himself after filling his belly, made me smile.

Taken April 11th, 9:30am

March  certainly didn't end like a lamb - I felt like I was attacked by a lion.  The last 3 days of March were filled with doubt.  He was irritable, sleepy and grouchy. I had to take a step away from him to take a deep breath.  I feel now I was smothering him with concern when all he wanted to do was be left alone to nap without me hovering over him.  I'd forgotten how I'd normally be working, doing stuff etc. he wasn't getting his Alone Time.  So I got into a few projects, and many thanks to @foxxycat's thread Music-2016... I was inspired to blast some old tunes, get into projects, free my brain and enjoy myself.  Soon after I had the place looking like a war zone, Simon came out to inspect everything I was doing. LOL. He hung out with me for a while, sitting on of course, everything I was trying to get organized. LOL  I didn't mind, it was like old times.

Friday, April 1st  - I picked up more Buprenex from the vet, again he was surprised Simon was able to live a happy life.  I told him, even though Simon has been eating the Max Calorie foods (Royal Canin Recovery rx, IAMS Max Calorie and Purina Pro Plan high cal) he wasn't eating enough, and the little weight he did put on was coming off just as fast.  I knew, even if Simon was acting normal and happy, without eating more, he'd be gone soon.  I asked the vet if I could feed him a vanilla Ensure a neighbor had leftover from her sick cat, he said if he'll eat or drink it feed it to him as long as it's not on the do not feed list.  When I got home, I took out the syringe and started feeding him the Ensure, thankfully he almost drank the entire bottle.  This pleased me because again, I wasn't sure if he had the suck reflex anymore.  That's a big concern of mine, I felt a lump on the side of his neck but wasn't sure how it's effecting him internally. It's not sensitive to the touch, thank goodness.

Morning before meds and Ensure                                                                            .             

Simon below, all sticky after enjoying Ensure, bird watching

After I cleaned him up, I let him be...  but not after a little loving. LOL

He dosed off into a deep sleep
I had to changed my feeding strategy again. Instead of marking down, as I go along, how many syringes I'm able to feed him throughout the day. I now measure out what I wanted our daily goal to be for the entire day.  1 whole can is our goal along with his extra treats, sweet peas, ensure, avocado, small doses by syringe.

After he woke from his nap, he ate a 1/4 cup of the IAMS Max Cal at 2pm, drank on his own, slept more, then ate another 1/4 cup at 9pm.  Along with 4, 3 ml syringes of mashed avocado's, plain.  Not our goal, but its a start.  I know some people don't give their cats avocados, but I did ask the vet, he said it was okay, in a small doses, and it's what peaks Simon's interest in eating, so it's working for us.

His bathroom habits are normal.  I do help him clean a little because of his crooked jaw, but he doesn't mind, he likes being clean.

All in all not a bad day, but the weekend proved to be strange.  

I'll post more in a little while, for some reason I'm having issues with loading videos and my computer is making strange sounds. LOL

Simon's journey continues, not without tears and laughter.  He is a trooper.

Another throw back titled,  All Paws...

Just wanted to post update for those interested.  many thanks again...

Last edited:

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love seeing Simon bird watching. He's living it up to the fullest and that's the best one can ask for. You can just tell by the smile on his face that he is loved!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still following with great interest, and SO thrilled that Simon is doing so well, despite all odds. 

edwardthefirst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@2Cats4everLoved  you are so right. Edward is a serious looking cat - with a side order of extremely silly. He makes for an amusing friend. Much like your Simon.....oh my lord, Simon's sock 'dating' activities did make me laugh. I do know exactly what kind of films you mean LOL. What an exhibitionist. Eddie is also funny without intending to be which is the best kind.

Back before the garden was done up, he used to watch me come out the back door, run ahead, hide and *fly* out of the same bush. Every. Single. Day. arms outstretched and then wrap them around my ankles as I tried to pass by. Like I didn't know what was going to happen because he'd done it a thousand times but many times I let him 'catch'  me anyway so he could feel like a lion on the Masai Mara.. So cute. Wish I'd filmed it. But its in my head which is just as good.

I hope you, Simon and his sock are all still doing ok and managing some laughs here and there....

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I noticed whisky liked avocado, I went into Google to see what's said.
It said not advised as there's poison in the skin that can leak into the fruit. He no longer gets avocado.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I noticed whisky liked avocado, I went into Google to see what's said.
It said not advised as there's poison in the skin that can leak into the fruit. He no longer gets avocado.
True @Stewball, there  is a fungicidal toxin called  Persin in avocados.  However, since there are contradicting reports online, I asked my vet.  He said, it can have negative effects if fed in large quantities, and over a long period of time.  So the 3 to 6 ml Simon's getting won't make a difference.  I don't mix anything in but a little salt. For the most part, Simon just likes tasting it and being part of my dining experience. LOL and as of late, it's what peaks his interest in eating.

Again, anyone having doubts on what to feed or how to care for their lovable, furry feline friends, CALL YOUR VET DIRECTLY FOR GUIDANCE ON CARE & FEEDING.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True @Stewball, there is a fungicidal toxin called Persin in avocados.  However, since there are contradicting reports online, I asked my vet.  He said, it can have negative effects if fed in large quantities, and over a long period of time.  So the 3 to 6 ml Simon's getting won't make a difference.  I don't mix anything in but a little salt. For the most part, Simon just likes tasting it and being part of my dining experience. LOL and as of late, it's what peaks his interest in eating.

Again, anyone having doubts on what to feed or how to care for their lovable, furry feline friends, CALL YOUR VET DIRECTLY FOR GUIDANCE ON CARE & FEEDING.
Salt?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

True @Stewball, there is a fungicidal toxin called  Persin in avocados.  However, since there are contradicting reports online, I asked my vet.  He said, it can have negative effects if fed in large quantities, and over a long period of time.  So the 3 to 6 ml Simon's getting won't make a difference.  I don't mix anything in but a little salt. For the most part, Simon just likes tasting it and being part of my dining experience. LOL and as of late, it's what peaks his interest in eating.

If the concern is something that is in the skin of the avocado, I would think that it can be minimized by taking some avocado from nearer the center of the fruit and setting it aside for the cat before you scrape the skin to get all you can for yourself.

In general, I don't recommend fruits and vegetables for cats, but this is a special case.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not?  There's really very little scientific evidence that salt is bad for you, and I know of none that it's bad for cats.  And it tastes good when added to avocado.  My personal recipe also includes lime juice, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Margret

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not?  There's really very little scientific evidence that salt is bad for you, and I know of none that it's bad for cats.  And it tastes good when added to avocado.  My personal recipe also includes lime juice, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Margret
[/quote

AND pepper. Here we make an avocado salad chopped up onion, mashed hard boiled eggs, I use one for each avocado, mashed avocado, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Jolly tasty.
I always thought when advising new mums to give baby food if not eating, it should be without seasoning.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Your ability to love is immeasurable Again thank you for sharing.
Thank you @Kittens Mom, It's getting tough knowing the end is getting closer.  There have been times when he seemed really annoyed with me, but I have to remember he always could get a little snarky at times, this being a result of us totally spoiling him 100%.  I know deep down he really knows now he's past the point of no return and realizes I can't fix this.  There have been a few moments where he's looked at me with his big green eyes, as if to say, "why can't you fix me".  Breaks my heart.  But then he'll start hitting his ball around and hangs out with us, or checks out the birds on the fire escape.  I'll enjoy him, enjoying life until he can't.  The past 14 days have been a trip and I'll bring his journey up to date today now that computer/pics and videos are working again.  Thanks again for your kind words.

With all my attention on Simon, I'm realizing my chubby Chestnut, is having trouble seeing.  I have to look into meds she was on back in January, I think they effected her already failing eyesight, but that's a whole other thread. I have to go back and read up, but were you the one who had issues with cat going blind. I can't remember who suggested I read threads and contact that poster.

Margret
 LOL @Margret - Thanks for the support.  I have a few questions for you and will send you a DM when I collect my thoughts.  Thanks again.
I love seeing Simon bird watching. He's living it up to the fullest and that's the best one can ask for. You can just tell by the smile on his face that he is loved!
It's one of his favorite past times.  Thanks again.  I have to read and catch up, but I hope Toothless is doing well.

@2Cats4everLoved  Simon is *so* adorable and handsome. I cannot resist chubby boy cat cheeks.
I too love cat cheeks, you'll see I write often, "I want to squeeze/pinch his/her cheeks"  - what can I say, cats are the best.  

Still following with great interest, and SO thrilled that Simon is doing so well, despite all odds. 
@mrsgreenjeens  - Thank you for your support.  We've crossed over a couple of hurdles but are moving along.  Not sure how at times, but I'll do what it takes.  He got a bath this past week and looked like a wet rat. LOL  He's such a trooper and is handling this with astounding bravery.  

@2Cats4everLoved  you are so right. Edward is a serious looking cat - with a side order of extremely silly. He makes for an amusing friend. Much like your Simon.....oh my lord, Simon's sock 'dating' activities did make me laugh. I do know exactly what kind of films you mean LOL. What an exhibitionist. Eddie is also funny without intending to be which is the best kind.

Back before the garden was done up, he used to watch me come out the back door, run ahead, hide and *fly* out of the same bush. Every. Single. Day. arms outstretched and then wrap them around my ankles as I tried to pass by. Like I didn't know what was going to happen because he'd done it a thousand times but many times I let him 'catch'  me anyway so he could feel like a lion on the Masai Mara.. So cute. Wish I'd filmed it. But its in my head which is just as good.

I hope you, Simon and his sock are all still doing ok and managing some laughs here and there....
@Edwardthefirst  - I have a video of Simon on a "date" but not appropriate for a family forum. LOL so funny.  I also wished I filmed him more and took more pictures, I don't know why I didn't, perhaps thought he'd be around a lot longer.  I thought we'd grow old together.  It's hard to believe that my iridescent shark is going to be 25 years old come August.  I thought Simon would outlive my fish, who by the way, are also Simon's favorite to watch, we call our 55 gallon tank the Cat TV. At this point they're all older with no signs of slowing down.  Life's strange to say the least.  I hope Edward is doing well.  How's his eye?  Keep me posted, I'm very interested.  He's so handsome. Thanks again.
@Stewball- very little in  what I make for me, again, he only eats 1 to 2 3ml syringes a day to open his appetite for the high cal food.  At this point being he that he only has a maybe 2 to 3 weeks left of life, my vet said if he wants to eat fried chicken give it to him, feed him anything he wants within reason.  I'm listening to my vet. I feel bad now that I gave Simon something with a little salt in it.  

In the end I'm doing the best I can with the guidance of my vet.  It's all I can do.  God will take care of the rest.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Salt is very well researched as causing heart problems and hardening of the arteries, as well as possible dehydration in young animals and babies. It should not be given to young children or animals.

But this thread is in danger of getting off-topic. I think we should leave this discussion here, continue it elsewhere if you like, and get back to Simon's wonderful journey.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt is very well researched as causing heart problems and hardening of the arteries, as well as possible dehydration in young animals and babies. It should not be given to young children or animals.

But this thread is in danger of getting off-topic. I think we should leave this discussion here, continue it elsewhere if you like, and get back to Simon's wonderful journey.
Thank you JennyR, I personally don't cook with much salt for my own health, and I do use other spices in my avocado's when eating them later in the day, in the morning I put avocado spread on my toast in lieu of butter.  

I never give my furry babies table food.  Simon only liked lettuce or baby spinach which I'd have to hold for him, and his wheat grass which is grown for cats sold at our farmers market is his favorite. On Thanksgiving and Christmas they would get a little milk, or the occasional lick of the cereal milk, no more than a tablespoon.  Chestnut, wants food but will lick my empty fork or spoon and she'll be satisfied, I think she just wants to be included in dining with my husband and I. lol

I'm not giving Simon anything without my vets consult first.  This is a leaning experience for me, I've never dealt with a sick cat before.  If this happens in the future, God forbid, I would change a few things but I can't go back and change the past.  I can only learn and apply to Chestnut and what other "little one" we may be blessed with in the future.

Thanks again JennyR

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Kittens Mom
, It's getting tough knowing the end is getting closer.  There have been times when he seemed really annoyed with me, but I have to remember he always could get a little snarky at times, this being a result of us totally spoiling him 100%.  I know deep down he really knows now he's past the point of no return and realizes I can't fix this.  There have been a few moments where he's looked at me with his big green eyes, as if to say, "why can't you fix me".  Breaks my heart.  But then he'll start hitting his ball around and hangs out with us, or checks out the birds on the fire escape.  I'll enjoy him, enjoying life until he can't.  The past 14 days have been a trip and I'll bring his journey up to date today now that computer/pics and videos are working again.  Thanks again for your kind words.

With all my attention on Simon, I'm realizing my chubby Chestnut, is having trouble seeing.  I have to look into meds she was on back in January, I think they effected her already failing eyesight, but that's a whole other thread. I have to go back and read up, but were you the one who had issues with cat going blind. I can't remember who suggested I read threads and contact that poster.
 LOL @Margret - Thanks for the support.  I have a few questions for you and will send you a DM when I collect my thoughts.  Thanks again.

It's one of his favorite past times.  Thanks again.  I have to read and catch up, but I hope Toothless is doing well.

I too love cat cheeks, you'll see I write often, "I want to squeeze/pinch his/her cheeks"  - what can I say, cats are the best.  

@mrsgreenjeens
 - Thank you for your support.  We've crossed over a couple of hurdles but are moving along.  Not sure how at times, but I'll do what it takes.  He got a bath this past week and looked like a wet rat. LOL  He's such a trooper and is handling this with astounding bravery.  
@Edwardthefirst
 - I have a video of Simon on a "date" but not appropriate for a family forum. LOL so funny.  I also wished I filmed him more and took more pictures, I don't know why I didn't, perhaps thought he'd be around a lot longer.  I thought we'd grow old together.  It's hard to believe that my iridescent shark is going to be 25 years old come August.  I thought Simon would outlive my fish, who by the way, are also Simon's favorite to watch, we call our 55 gallon tank the Cat TV. At this point they're all older with no signs of slowing down.  Life's strange to say the least.  I hope Edward is doing well.  How's his eye?  Keep me posted, I'm very interested.  He's so handsome. Thanks again.

@Stewball
- very little in what I make for me, again, he only eats 1 to 2 3ml syringes a day to open his appetite for the high cal food.  At this point being he that he only has a maybe 2 to 3 weeks left of life, my vet said if he wants to eat fried chicken give it to him, feed him anything he wants within reason.  I'm listening to my vet. I feel bad now that I gave Simon something with a little salt in it.  

In the end I'm doing the best I can with the guidance of my vet.  It's all I can do.  God will take care of the rest.
I'm sorry. I've been pulled up by margret so I now know they can have salt. I apologise for questioning you. You obviously know more than I ever will. I should have remembered salt as whisky likes olives. Again, my apologies.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all my later lotto liked hummus.
I take no offense at all.  Hugs...

Its been an interesting past 15 days, happy and sadly challenging.  In the end I just want to do whats best for my sweet Simon.  

I've never taken care of a sick cat like this before. And certainly not one that has meant the world to me.   

I'm glad to take into consideration any advice and experiences people have to share with me.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I've been pulled up by margret so I now know they can have salt. I apologise for questioning you. You obviously know more than I ever will. I should have remembered salt as whisky likes olives. Again, my apologies.
Truth is I don't know what I'm doing.  I've taken care of many terminal family members but not furry wee one. I'm going by guidance of the vet, my intuition and Simon's instincts. 

Any advice and help is more than appreciated.  Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.