TS/Hurricane Rita

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Winds are 165, we are heading out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to be in Spring Branch, Texas. We love all ya'll! Don't worry, Mittens and Watson are coming too!!!!!
I'll try to sign on ASAP. We might be on I-10 for hours. I am petrified now. God be with us!!!!!!!
HE is!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief that you're evacuating, Candie!
Please be safe and let us know how you are when you are able! I will be praying for you until this is all over and we know you are safe and sound!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

I've been watching it all day ... But it could be worse even than it is:

1979's Typhoon Tip

Ee, that's awful! As of right now, I am trying to slow down. I just have the bedroom windows to tape up. Zack hasn't left work yet, but hopefully he will soon. He's headed straight from his office near Hobby (South Houston) to North Houston to drop his car off at my best friend's house in her garage. Then she is bringing him home and we are dropping the bike off at my office and then we may head out tonight or tomorrow morning. I am about to eat something and then continue on. Thanks everyone!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is evacuating from Houston. I just got off the phone with her, and she says the traffic leaving is HORRIBLE! Also, there is difficulty in finding gas. They're packing up and heading out sometime tonight. There is word that the first available hotel rooms are in Arkansas. I told her to go to my best friend's house in Atlanta.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

As of right now, I am trying to slow down. I just have the bedroom windows to tape up.
Candie,

Don't waste your energy. Taping is worthless. Pack up some stuff you couldn't bear to be without, load up the car (computer, too!), and head out. Log on when you can to let us know you are safe.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Candie,

Don't waste your energy. Taping is worthless. Pack up some stuff you couldn't bear to be without, load up the car (computer, too!), and head out. Log on when you can to let us know you are safe.
Deb's right Candie, the only thing this will do is maybe keep some of the glass from flying around if you have to be in a room with a window when the storm hits! Hopefully you'll be long gone by then. Leave them. Unfortunately it's way too late now to take the best route, which would be to put substantial plywood over them.

Gods. This thing is like a 300 mile wide tornado
. I thought we'd seen the worst we could see with Katrina. Obviously I was wrong.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll reoffer my guest bedroom for anyone that needs one. You can shut the door with your babies and not be bothered by my gang. We're a few hours north of Arkansas.

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is scary! I just talked to a few friends in Houston, they are getting out ASAP!

Praying for all those in the way of the storm...

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in. This is the third most intense hurricane on record in terms of pressure at 898mb, behind HURRICANE GILBERT in 1988 with 888mb and the 1935 Labor day Hurricane with 892 mb.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Agent_Haun

This is scary! I just talked to a few friends in Houston, they are getting out ASAP!

Praying for all those in the way of the storm...
Good for them! They're being smart! The weather forum that I lurk on when we're looking at stuff like this just had a post that said the waves around the eyewall, with this kind of pressure could be 100 feet high
!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so scary! Please stay safe anyone who is in the path! I wish I could offer a room but I am in the wrong country!

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I"m sending prayers to all of you in the path of this devastating storm. If ever any of you need a place to stay just hollar. Of course I'm way up in Minnesota, but the doors are open. Take care and please get out of there asap!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
They were just saying on the news that it took a "jog" and is headed towards Galveston and Houston.