TS/Hurricane Rita

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently, we'll be staying. We live in the "Heights" highest part in Houston. We are taking Zack's motorcycle and car up to my mother's this evening to put in her garage. We will probably be without electricity, etc. from 1 day to up to 3 weeks or more. No one can really be for sure. I'll keep checking in here up until Friday (late night) because the storm is suppose to hit around Sat 1am. This is very stressful--very chaotic here at work...let the fun begin!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please stay safe!!! Will you be having your mom watch your cats along with the car and motorcycle?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

Please stay safe!!! Will you be having your mom watch your cats along with the car and motorcycle?
Mittens is my only cat, Watson is our german shepherd. I'm considering taking them, but probably not. I rather have them with us. We'll decide for sure by the end of today. It looks like we'll be safer here with the animals than there. The reason why we are taking the car and motorcycle is because they are both brand new and we don't have a garage to put them in.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rita is now a Category 4 storm and as you can see, the projected path is the Texas area. They are saying though, that New Orleans will get a soaking from this and if it should hike to the east, New Orleans will be more that just a soaking. You guys in the Texas area, please keep an eye on this one, I am very worried about it as it is just a little below the path that Katrina took.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a problem with the evacuation for Hurricane Katrina. The order was given Sunday. How do you evacuate over one million people in less than 24 hours. How stupid!!! If Houston were to be evacuated, they should have started yesterday.

The other thing is, how do you move people with no cars? They did not send buses to pick people up to evacuate. There was no plan in place for New Orleans. Do you really think there is one for Houston? If you heard a mandatory evacuation order one hour from now, what would you do? Whee would you go?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I have a problem with the evacuation for Hurricane Katrina. The order was given Sunday. How do you evacuate over one million people in less than 24 hours. How stupid!!! If Houston were to be evacuated, they should have started yesterday.

The other thing is, how do you move people with no cars? They did not send buses to pick people up to evacuate. There was no plan in place for New Orleans. Do you really think there is one for Houston? If you heard a mandatory evacuation order one hour from now, what would you do? Whee would you go?
That's what I'm wondering...if they thought a gigantic city like Houston might get bad enough to evacuate, how on earth would they go about it?

My brother lives there...think I'll try to talk him into coming to visit us for the weekend.

Be careful, Candie!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mayor White has made an announcement that all schools will be shut down tomorrow and Friday. All offices should be closed tomorrow as well. This is getting really crazy, cell phones are starting to be hard to use...stores are chaotic...my office is a ghost town, I am already sick to my stomach. I can't concentrate on homework. Ugh...keep praying we don't get it bad here!! PLEASSSSSSSSSSE!!!!!!!!!!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie, you and Zach and Mittens and Watson are in my thoughts! Please be safe!! Don't let that male ego of being able to ride it out get in the way of safety.

Actually, every major city has an evacuation plan. They have to. It was part of the Homeland Security initiatives and big money that was given to every state. New Orleans didn't follow theirs the first time. I heard on the radio that they are using buses now to evacuate those parts of Texas under mandatory evacuation (Galvaston area), and that New Orleans is doing the same (about time!!). Engineers have said that the levy system could only take maybe 3" of rain, if they get more they are in serious danger of breaching.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3"??? Wow! That is so scary! Being born and raised in the northwest, I have no clue what it feels like to anticipate such a terrifying storm. I can say, though, that Katrina instilled a deep fear and respect for the shear force mother nature can show.

My brother's best friend lives in Texas, right in the projected path. You are all in my prayers! May this storm lose steam before landfall!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bossinova

3"??? Wow! That is so scary! Being born and raised in the northwest, I have no clue what it feels like to anticipate such a terrifying storm. I can say, though, that Katrina instilled a deep fear and respect for the shear force mother nature can show.

My brother's best friend lives in Texas, right in the projected path. You are all in my prayers! May this storm lose steam before landfall!
It's a CAT 4 actually. Expected to be a CAT 5 before landfall SAT morning at 1am. I just got back from home and am in my jeans now. We are putting all the computers up and preparing the office now. This is really getting crazy. My house is seconds from I-45, I can hear the cars honking and sirens going off. All the stores are beyond capacity. I found dog food at the corner store, but not enough to last more than a week. Looks like dog treats and chilli are going to have to hold him over if worse comes to worse. Pleanty of cat food though. I'm boxing up important documents tonight and putting glass and dishes up so they won't break if a tree falls on our house. We are still undecided if we are to leave, so far Zack has to work tomorrow. I am leaving today at 5. They just cancelled my school too, that's a relief. We are actually now taking his car and motorcycle to my best friends house, she has a lot of room and it isn't as far as my mom's. If it floods, then oh well...that's what insurance is for, we are just trying to protect it from getting scratched or the motorcycle flying away and hurting someone. I'll keep you guys updated as much as possible. Thanks for your concern.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Candie-

Please do reconsider and evacuate NOW... Just to be safe..
ESPECIALLY since it will be a Cat. FIVE before it hits Houston.

You and all other people in the path of this hurricane are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how terrifying a hurricane can be- I experienced a Cat. TWO and that TERRIFIED ME so I can't IMAGINE experiencing a cat THREE or higher!
Luckily, it's very rare to get hurricanes in my area.. WHEW..

HANG IN THERE and pls do evacuate just to be safe..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just heard that Rita has been upgraded to a Cat. 5 with sustained winds of 155 MPH.
She's still got plenty of warm water underneath her too.
I sure hope she weakens before hitting the coast!!!

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, its still on 150 mph. But, honestly, its so close I would rather have people think its a Cat 5, so they prepare more, than think "Its just a 4". Trust me, We've had it happen here. Although we haven't had a Category 5 Hurricane since... Hurricane San Felipe II in 1928.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

No, its still on 150 mph. But, honestly, its so close I would rather have people think its a Cat 5, so they prepare more, than think "Its just a 4". Trust me, We've had it happen here. Although we haven't had a Category 5 Hurricane since... Hurricane San Felipe II in 1928.
No, it really is a Cat 5, although the winds have picked up still from the last time I heard. From CNN's Breaking News ticker on their home page right now:

BREAKING NEWS

\t\t\tHurricane Rita reaches Category 5 status with maximum sustained winds of 165 mph, the National Hurricane Center says.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winds are 165, we are heading out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to be in Spring Branch, Texas. We love all ya'll! Don't worry, Mittens and Watson are coming too!!!!!
I'll try to sign on ASAP. We might be on I-10 for hours. I am petrified now. God be with us!!!!!!!