Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! Pi has started to scratch his claws into my nice dining room and living room carpets. I sternly tell him "no, no" when he does it and he runs off looking surprised but I'm not sure exactly how to handle this. Happy is such a good boy with my furnishings that I've never had to think of things like this. I know Pi has lived his first year of life outdoors so has been able to scratch when and where he pleases but he just can't do that inside my home. I do have the nice scratching post with the perch on top. He does use the scratching post. I also have a scratching board that is elevated on one side. He doesn't use that too often but has used it. Can anyone give me some advice as how to break Pi of the habit of digging his claws into my carpets? I hope so!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand how crazy it must be. I had that last weekend with my grandkids being over. I am going to practice holding bell too. He let me hold him this morning and he started to purr so loud. My daughter had the pet carrier at her house . So I need to get it here so I can leave it outso bell can smell it. My daughter thinks I am crazy and that I should just make an appointment and take bell. I just don't want to upset bell. It took 7 years April will be 8 years to come in and trust me and my husband. I do feel crazy sometimes. Bell does not really like my husband. He freaks out every time my husband gets up. It is so funny. But when my husband goes to work everything here is so calm. So I can't imagine what is going on with your friend. Bell and Nemo freak out with the vacuum cleaner. Not gwen . I am still separating the two cats until I take bell to the vet. It is so stressful .
I live out on the twin forks of Long Island and we are getting 4 to 8 inches tonight. With blizzard conditions . I right now bell isout side in his igloo .its to stressful with my husband.Home today . Bell was in all day yesterday and last night. And now with this snow storm I will bring her in in a little while. You have a good friend but staying a month is very long. We're does she live Judy. Maybe you should have gone to the city too just to get out. This winter seems so long.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got from the pet store sticky tape. I just bought a new leather chair to go with my new leather couches and I put that on and it seems to work. They do that because they are shedding there nails. We cut gwen a naiks once a week. But we got her as a kitten. Also put catnip on the scratching posts that's what I do.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand how crazy it must be. I had that last weekend with my grandkids being over. I am going to practice holding bell too. He let me hold him this morning and he started to purr so loud. My daughter had the pet carrier at her house . So I need to get it here so I can leave it outso bell can smell it. My daughter thinks I am crazy and that I should just make an appointment and take bell. I just don't want to upset bell. It took 7 years April will be 8 years to come in and trust me and my husband. I do feel crazy sometimes. Bell does not really like my husband. He freaks out every time my husband gets up. It is so funny. But when my husband goes to work everything here is so calm. So I can't imagine what is going on with your friend. Bell and Nemo freak out with the vacuum cleaner. Not gwen . I am still separating the two cats until I take bell to the vet. It is so stressful .
I live out on the twin forks of Long Island and we are getting 4 to 8 inches tonight. With blizzard conditions . I right now bell isout side in his igloo .its to stressful with my husband.Home today . Bell was in all day yesterday and last night. And now with this snow storm I will bring her in in a little while. You have a good friend but staying a month is very long. We're does she live Judy. Maybe you should have gone to the city too just to get out. This winter seems so long.
Oh you're way out on Long Island! Yes, you guys and Massachusetts are going to get hit hard they say. So sorry for you. Its been bad enough here and I'm hoping they are right that we will get no more than 3 to 6 inches.

My good friend was also my college roommate so we go back a long way. She is here because I have had some medical issues this past year and since we are now both single ladies she graciously came to be with me for support. I am very thankful for her. And so far I am doing well in the medical department and hope it continues. Enough said about me. Actually, I'm glad she went into the city to be with her nephew as it gives us a short break from being in each others faces for a month. LOL!

Thanks for the tip about the tape but I don't think that would work on my carpets. I will however spray the scratching board with catnip as the last time I did was months ago. The post needs no encouragement as he uses it daily.

YES, a very long winter and I am more than ready for Spring!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh stew ball they are so cute cuddled up like that. I could only wish my bell and gwen could get along but right now they are not. I have to take bell to the vet to get his nails cut. They are scissor sharp. Being out doors all these years he need the long nails , I am afraid if they fight he could really hurt gwen. He has been staying in at night. We keep bell in the bedroom to sleep and gwen is in the living room. We have to kept the doors closed .
It's different for me. I got whisky age 8 months and he'd only been with me for a month when tiny tiny blighty came age 6 weeks. He was sooo small and has grown into an enormous cat. Whisky accepted him quite quickly. Holding him down with a heavy paw while he washed him about ten times a day. Then the bullying started and it went on for some time until blighty knew who was alpha cat. Give it time.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack lemon and Walter matt.....don't know how to spell his name mattiau, something like that? You know what I mean. I am massively untidy. When the family come on Fridays half my sitting room gets moved into my bedroom.
The baby is about 9 months and the next youngest is 6 and touches everything. A few weeks ago my daughter came over with the boys. She went to a film with the two youngest and I went with the eldest.he's 15. Very enjoyable. Any case the minute they arrived the little one had all the cat toys on the floor. They're kept in a box and they take what they want.
He soon put them away!!! Things will work out with pi. At least he gets on with happy which is very good and half the battle. They will be buddies. Keep your chin up. You too Linda.
hugs to you both.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! Pi has started to scratch his claws into my nice dining room and living room carpets. I sternly tell him "no, no" when he does it and he runs off looking surprised but I'm not sure exactly how to handle this. Happy is such a good boy with my furnishings that I've never had to think of things like this. I know Pi has lived his first year of life outdoors so has been able to scratch when and where he pleases but he just can't do that inside my home. I do have the nice scratching post with the perch on top. He does use the scratching post. I also have a scratching board that is elevated on one side. He doesn't use that too often but has used it. Can anyone give me some advice as how to break Pi of the habit of digging his claws into my carpets? I hope so!
my gentle ruined my furniture. She didn't use th scratch tree thing. One day u bough the cardboard box with catnip and she went wild over it. I could have saved my furniture with these boxes. The boys love them too.
Also you may be able to get from your pet shop special plastic to stick on the back and sides of the furniture so they can't get it and there is a spray which they don't like for furniture. See if you can get something like that.
I hope you can. Your house is so beautiful. But don't shout no at him. Get him away the scratching and say no Pi each time till he learns what no is and give him a treat when he uses the right scratchy thing.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live out on the twin forks of Long Island and we are getting 4 to 8 inches tonight. With blizzard conditions . I right now bell isout side in his igloo .its to stressful with my husband.Home today . Bell was in all day yesterday and last night. And now with this snow storm I will bring her in in a little while. You have a good friend but staying a month is very long. We're does she live Judy. Maybe you should
have gone to the city too just to get out. This winter seems so long.
Get your husband to feed bell. Give him treats slowly. Put one down next to him and let bell see him filling her plate and even try to hand feed her but all slowly.
That might work to lessen the fear if she knows he gives her treats. Just no crack lol.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you're way out on Long Island! Yes, you guys and Massachusetts are going to get hit hard they say. So sorry for you. Its been bad enough here and I'm hoping they are right that we will get no more than 3 to 6 inches.

My good friend was also my college roommate so we go back a long way. She is here because I have had some medical issues this past year and since we are now both single ladies she graciously came to be with me for support. I am very thankful for her. And so far I am doing well in the medical department and hope it continues. Enough said about me. Actually, I'm glad she went into the city to be with her nephew as it gives us a short break from being in each others faces for a month. LOL!

Thanks for the tip about the tape but I don't think that would work on my carpets. I will however spray the scratching board with catnip as the last time I did was months ago. The post needs no encouragement as he uses it daily.

YES, a very long winter and I am more than ready for Spring!
I forgot it was the carpet. Try and get some carpeting and out it on top of where he scratches and maybe he'll leave your carpets alone. Spray a little catnip. These are all things I have read about.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stewball. Thanks I will let my husband start feeding him again and try and give him treats. Bell got really frighten today when my husband tried to get him in the bathroom . He now hides under the bed when he comes in. Ugh it's like starting all over again

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like my bell will be in all week. It is going to be so cold. Thank god we got only a little snow. But the winds are out rages. So now I have to make the bed but look at bell. How can I do that now. He will not get off the bed. My cute little feral turning to be a house cat

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So cute to see your boy Bell making himself at home. Pi is also starting to realize that warm and safe with food, comfortable bed and new best buddy is a pretty good place to be. Here they are on my sofa enjoying the morning sun.

Baby it's cold outside and more fun on the sofa with my buddy.

BTW Hap was snoozing on the sofa last night when Pi jumped up next to him and started to lick (groom) Hap's fluffy hairdo. So sweet to see. It gave Happy a bit of a shock though. Pi just LOVES Happy! Follows him all around the place.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stewball. Thanks I will let my husband start feeding him again and try and give him treats. Bell got really frighten today when my husband tried to get him in the bathroom . He now hides under the bed when he comes in. Ugh it's like starting all over again
Don't let your husband try to touch him in any way until he's relaxed around him. He'll just scare him more.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like my bell will be in all week. It is going to be so cold. Thank god we got only a little snow. But the winds are out rages. So now I have to make the bed but look at bell. How can I do that now. He will not get off the bed. My cute little feral turning to be
a house cat
He's so sweet all comfortable on your bed. Such a good sign.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pi has finished his course of 5 deworming treatments and already I can see he's feeling better. Now that he has been in the house for 15 days (only outside 3 times in all that time) he is starting to get VERY curious. He explores EVERYTHING and I really have to keep my eye on him this morning he showed me how he can jump up on the kitchen table. Oh boy what next" I have been trying to squeeze a little boric acid solution into his eye to help relieve the irritation.i hope it works.

How is everything with you two Stewball and Linda?

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi girls. My cat gwen gets on my table to while we are eating. I have to pick her up and put her in the bathroom while we eat. Bell is being a good boy. I guess bell has been in around 15 days too. Yesterday after the storm he wanted to go out in the fresh air. It got sunny but still cold. He went on his heated bench and we both sat out there together. For about an hour . The sun felt so good . Pi you might think of getting one of those cat Towers. I had one for years and I hated the way it looked in my living room. But it worked. I might get that again. I still can't make up my mind if bell will be and indoor out door cat. What about you pi did your friend leave yet?
It is still stressful having the two cats . They are getting better. When gwen wants to attack I give them both treats . It's been working. How are you doing stewball. Is it warm out by you.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stewball having two cats in the house can'cause a lot of litter when I sweep. When they get out of the litter box I have a Mat that cat catches the litter . Do you get a lot of cat litter on the floor. I am not saying near the box just when I sweep around the house.?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pi and bell seem to be doing very well. My two are fine. They're not very affectionate cats but today and yesterday blighty climbed into me and slept for hours. He used tosprawl on me when he was a baby and then suddenly stopped so it's a big deal for me. Whisky is also getting a bit more affectionate, climbing under my bedclothes and sleeping between my legs.
I don't notice a lot of litter around. They also have a litter mat. Must have had it for about ten years at least. So many cats gave used it.
The weather isn't very nice. It's raining and it's cold for Israel. Nothing like your winters. It's very cold and snowy in Jerusalem and right up north.
I sleep in a summer nighty. I might be freezing when I get into bed but if I was wearing pyjamas or similar I'd be too hot.
I wouldn't cope with your weather.
I can hear blighty calling to whisky to come and play. He's makes such a sweet noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.