Toys that your cat never gets tired of!

Anicanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend recently asked me for some toy ideas for cats who don't like flying things and I took these pictures of Caju's favourites. Posting it here for fun and inspiration for new cat owners in search of ideas to test and try!

1. Random piece of plastic. He never gets tired of playing peek-a-boo with this in the carpet or cardboard boxes.
2. Springs. My friend introduced him to this and... wow. An instant favourite for playing catch and playing on his own. The thing seems alive, it's brilliant. Comes with a black hole that makes them mysteriously disappear after a while.
3. Long-tail wool mouse. A new addition, wish I had found sooner. This is just what he likes, long things that crawl. He loves to follow it around the house (sometimes I just put it on my pocket as I go), and junt it underneath the carpet, or hanged in a high place. Also the most lazy toy to play while in bed – just throw and pull by the tail. Love it! There's something about wool that he really likes.
4. Small and extremely light ball. Another favourite for playing catch, other balls won't do – but can be replaceable by paper balls if he sees it being made (loves the sound of paper).
5. Wand with a plush toy. Mostly used in the ground.
6. Electronic crawling toy. He just follows it around, but it's the only electronic that
7. Random long piece of elastic. Not in the pictures, but this is also a permanent toy that he likes to chase around, especially under the carpet.

Other toys didn't last much! How about your cat's favourites?

photo_2023-10-17_13-57-42.jpg

photo_2023-10-17_13-57-47.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rabbit fur floof balls.

For Calcifer, little crinkle balls. He loves his crinkles.

Dharma cat grey alien. Specifically the grey one. The purple will NOT do. Just grey. Just alien. No other grey Dharma cat toy.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend recently asked me for some toy ideas for cats who don't like flying things and I took these pictures of Caju's favourites. Posting it here for fun and inspiration for new cat owners in search of ideas to test and try!

1. Random piece of plastic. He never gets tired of playing peek-a-boo with this in the carpet or cardboard boxes.
2. Springs. My friend introduced him to this and... wow. An instant favourite for playing catch and playing on his own. The thing seems alive, it's brilliant. Comes with a black hole that makes them mysteriously disappear after a while.
3. Long-tail wool mouse. A new addition, wish I had found sooner. This is just what he likes, long things that crawl. He loves to follow it around the house (sometimes I just put it on my pocket as I go), and junt it underneath the carpet, or hanged in a high place. Also the most lazy toy to play while in bed – just throw and pull by the tail. Love it! There's something about wool that he really likes.
4. Small and extremely light ball. Another favourite for playing catch, other balls won't do – but can be replaceable by paper balls if he sees it being made (loves the sound of paper).
5. Wand with a plush toy. Mostly used in the ground.
6. Electronic crawling toy. He just follows it around, but it's the only electronic that
7. Random long piece of elastic. Not in the pictures, but this is also a permanent toy that he likes to chase around, especially under the carpet.

Other toys didn't last much! How about your cat's favourites?

View attachment 461657

View attachment 461659
Some great toys there! I really love the long-tailed mouse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anicanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rabbit fur floof balls.

Dharma cat grey alien. Specifically the grey one. The purple will NOT do. Just grey. Just alien. No other grey Dharma cat toy.
I love how specific they are with their toys 😂

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He loses them all the time, but Friday's favorite toy is metal lip gloss tins. I bought some to use for nosework with my dog and Friday slowly stole my extras that I had laying out. He loves how they can shoot across the floor. :lol:

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Big feathers. I bought a pack of long pheasant feathers a while back and either tie a couple to the end of an old teaser wand with twine or swish a loose one around. It's the only thing that consistently tempts Max into playing, I just make sure to put them away so he doesn't munch up the ends when I'm not looking.

He also likes sticks with nothing attached to them, but I prefer the feathers because he's a clumsy critter and constantly smacks his face on whatever he's pouncing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big feathers. I bought a pack of long pheasant feathers a while back and either tie a couple to the end of an old teaser wand with twine or swish a loose one around. It's the only thing that consistently tempts Max into playing, I just make sure to put them away so he doesn't munch up the ends when I'm not looking.

He also likes sticks with nothing attached to them, but I prefer the feathers because he's a clumsy critter and constantly smacks his face on whatever he's pouncing.
Elvis disembowels da Bird. I keep several replacement lures on hand because the look, texture, and scent of feathers drives him wild.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rabbit fur floof balls.

I swear, Lila has a "thing" for pink toys. She chooses them over anything else.
My cats love anything with catnip. (I rotate toys, it helps the budget!) Goof used to kick the crap out of tennis balls, but as he's gotten older that's fewer and more far between. :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I swear, Lila has a "thing" for pink toys. She chooses them over anything else.
My cats love anything with catnip. (I rotate toys, it helps the budget!) Goof used to kick the crap out of tennis balls, but as he's gotten older that's fewer and more far between. :(
Nobel used to love pink! I think they can have a colour preference.

They do get gentler with toys over time I find.

Rotating has helped for sure 😁

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper plays with a lot of little cat toys but he's got this favorite mouse. It's small, it's got a Velcro catnip pocket and it's fuzzy with leopard spots. I don't know what it is about that, particular toy but he's actually chewed all the fur off until the thing is threadbare.

We tried to get him a new mouse toy but he didn't want any but "his" mouse. We looked in several different stores until we finally found the exact, same product. When we brought it home, he looked at it and, sort of, said, "Ho-hum..."

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Casper plays with a lot of little cat toys but he's got this favorite mouse. It's small, it's got a Velcro catnip pocket and it's fuzzy with leopard spots. I don't know what it is about that, particular toy but he's actually chewed all the fur off until the thing is threadbare.

We tried to get him a new mouse toy but he didn't want any but "his" mouse. We looked in several different stores until we finally found the exact, same product. When we brought it home, he looked at it and, sort of, said, "Ho-hum..."

He did give the mouse a fancy haircut afterall!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Caspers Human Caspers Human , I'm sure you know about kids' favorite toys. It's the same thing. They'll carry around their favorite toy for years, until it's absolute disreputable, but they still love it best. ;)
catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback That sounds like a great toy!:agree:
iPappy iPappy Goof must be quite determined! We have a cat-sized tennis ball, but it's really never gotten much attention, if any.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I save their fur after brushing. When I get a good handful, I wet it and roll into a ball.
My kitties get real excited when they hear my hands rubbing together to make one.... I don't have any photos of the final result 🙃. But they love them. I also keep balls of fur from my rainbow kitties.

Fortunately, lots of fur is available to replace those that end up under the couch, refrigerator etc.😉

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I save their fur after brushing. When I get a good handful, I wet it and roll into a ball.
My kitties get real excited when they hear my hands rubbing together to make one.... I don't have any photos of the final result 🙃. But they love them. I also keep balls of fur from my rainbow kitties.

Fortunately, lots of fur is available to replace those that end up under the couch, refrigerator etc.😉
What a great idea, Docs Mom Docs Mom ! I'm sure you know that some people knit/crochet(?) beautiful things using their cats' castoff fur. But what you're doing gives back to cats! That's wonderful. :agree:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
any live feeder insect that escapes when i am feeding my tarantulas. other toys though i have a large enough stash of them i can just put away some and bring them out again after a month or two and just cycle through them :lol:your friend just needs to buy new toys weekly or monthly for a bit to build a stash to alternate what toys are out to play with.