Too soon to talk about gardening?

mteche88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought my first home last year and have no clue about landscaping and flowers. This post got me encouraged to get out and do it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I can see we're going to have a lot of purple garden decorations this year.

I found an old garden gnome that all the paint has washed off. I'm going to try and paint him up to compete with @betsygee  guitar playing gnome.
Love it!  The little Mexican gnome was a gift from my mom. 
   Be sure to post pics!  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I love that spray paint. I did one of my lawn decorations with it. It is a large fat purple hedgehog now!
That sounds CUTE! 

I found an old garden gnome that all the paint has washed off. I'm going to try and paint him up to compete with @betsygee  guitar playing gnome.
I've been looking at some of the decorations but I haven't bought any since I've focused on the veggie garden.  I want a moose for my garden. 

I just bought my first home last year and have no clue about landscaping and flowers. This post got me encouraged to get out and do it.
This June will make 6 years in our house.  We've just slowly been adding on and doing a little more each year.  It's nice to see how far we have come; but also to watch our plans grow.  I think the fact that I enjoy my garden so much was a shock to my entire family.  I've made my Grandfather proud. 

I was thinking about those green thumbs my Grandparents had.  They were both immigrants children and from big families growing up during the great depression.  So even though they both grew up in the city; they had to garden to feed the family (fishing and hunting were important too).  That adds a lot of years of experience to things.  

I got my rhubarb in the ground this evening.  My soil is sandier than I realized.  It was not difficult at all to dig up the ground!  It was like playing in a sand box or at the beach!  I could almost have done it with my hands; and did once I removed the top layer of weeds and grass.  It was easier to remove the roots that way.  I did buy a couple bags of garden soil, some aged manure and mulch.  I dug up a good area and added one bag of garden soil to the area and a little of the manure mixture.  It turned out I had 3 rhubarb plants in the bag; so I need to go widen the area to plant the rest tomorrow.  I ran out of daylight.  

The root on the biggest plant was HUGE!  My mother said the plant had roots growing over top of it's roots; so this really must be an old section of the plant.  That crazy root was also growing sideways. I think the other 2 plants just fell off of the bigger section my Aunt dug up.  My Aunt said just to throw the plant in the ground; so I'm going to stop worrying and let it go.  I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use mulch the first year; but i need to find that again.  My Aunt says it takes 3 years of growth/establishment before you should harvest from a rhubarb plant.  That seems like such a long wait! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Oh yes!  Pictures please...  

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We planted tomatoes, but they all died. We might start new ones, though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Good job! He looks very dapper! He looks like one of the seven dwarves (from Snow White). Doc I believe. He wears glasses. 

You're right! There was a bit of orange paint left on his coat, I guess that's who he was supposed to be. Disney characters are so popular over here. I wonder if there are six others buried somewhere out there?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're right! There was a bit of orange paint left on his coat, I guess that's who he was supposed to be. Disney characters are so popular over here. I wonder if there are six others buried somewhere out there?
You found him in the forest? What a find! My DH and I looked high and low for a Grumpy one but never found one. He always wanted a grouchy looking gnome to put in the yard! We did find a gnome in a local department store years ago and he ended up having to repaint it, too after a while. It ended up getting beat up in a storm and we had to toss it. Every now and then, kids would take him and I'd find him in someone else's yard when I was driving home from work. The little guy liked to visit, I guess.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Or maybe he's a traveling gnome who got lost?? 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Gnorman The Gnome, before and after painting.

I think he must have had glasses and a pipe once, as there are holes at the side of his mouth and eyes. They've been swallowed up by the forest though.
You did a fabulous job--he looks great!  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

You found him in the forest? What a find! My DH and I looked high and low for a Grumpy one but never found one. He always wanted a grouchy looking gnome to put in the yard! We did find a gnome in a local department store years ago and he ended up having to repaint it, too after a while. It ended up getting beat up in a storm and we had to toss it. Every now and then, kids would take him and I'd find him in someone else's yard when I was driving home from work. The little guy liked to visit, I guess.
There's all kinds of treasure out in that forest if you know where to look.

There's an abandoned, burnt out house not far from here with some huge ceramic planters outside of it. I'm always tempted to roll one home with me. Mr Husband tells me not to, but if a house has been left empty, with the doors and windows gone and all the furniture still inside for long enough for trees to be growing out of the roof I don't think anyone is going to miss a planter.

It's not stealing, it's recycling!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There's all kinds of treasure out in that forest if you know where to look.

There's an abandoned, burnt out house not far from here with some huge ceramic planters outside of it. I'm always tempted to roll one home with me. Mr Husband tells me not to, but if a house has been left empty, with the doors and windows gone and all the furniture still inside for long enough for trees to be growing out of the roof I don't think anyone is going to miss a planter.

It's not stealing, it's recycling!
Yes, there are treasures out there. Your boy Forest certainly was a treasure from the forest! 

I'd have taken them already. Yes it is recycling. If someone had wanted them, they would have come and gotten them years ago.