Toby vomiting and losing weight, fine otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am posting here to say I had a message from Barb on the 21st.  She is still doing her best to care for Toby.  So both Barb and Toby are hanging in there.  I am sure she appreciates the concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for asking about Toby! I had not posted because I have been helping more with the adoption center, getting foster homes for kitties and well, you know what summers are like when it comes to animals and proliferation. But I have had a lot on my mind with Toby so here goes-

Toby seems to be doing exactly the same, so I guess he is holding his own. He is still not vomiting and he doesn't seem to be constipated. Last week he seemed to lose his appetite a little bit and he lost 1/2 lb, but he is doing better this week. Actually he was eating voraciously so it may be more normal that he is eating less. We are going through every possible food and he has different favorites every day. I have to open several cans and then suddenly he will like one. But I think this is more pampering. I don't think I am looking at a serious loss of appetite like with others on this forum (vibes for them, sweet kitties! 

His fur still looks horrible, all rumpled, but I imagine the chemotherapy itself would keep it that way. I did increase the amount of B12 I am giving him a little bit, although I realized that the amount I was giving him was just enough where I was in/out before he knew it, and now he is like, hey what are you doing lol. 

This Tuesday (tomorrow) will be the end of his 8th week, halfway done, so he is getting the [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]doxyrubicin again. After that, the oncologist said his treatments will be every two weeks, so I just calculated and at that rate he will be finished around the 20th(?) November. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I talked to the oncologist last week because a friend of mine from college has metastatic breast cancer, it is in her lungs now, and our friends planned a weekend at her house the weekend of August 11th. She lives a few hours from my dad and brother/sister families in the eastern PA/NJ area, so John and I wanted to go there for a short trip, from the 8th-12th. I don't know if this will be ok for Toby since his chemo is supposed to start up again on August 7th, which is the day before we would go away.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We haven't gone anywhere since last year, as Toby has been ill and John had a heavy work schedule in the beginning of the year. Well- I called my cat sitter and left a message asking if she could look after Toby. I said I would want it to be her since he has lymphosarcoma and she is a vet tech. She wrote to tell me she went on maternity leave as she just had a baby in the last month and her sister (with stage 4 colon cancer) is coming into town August 8th-24th. Apparently she sent everyone an email in February about her baby and maternity leave but I did not get it :-(.  I left her a message asking if other people could cover and maybe she could come over and see Toby herself (she lives just a few blocks away) just so she would have an idea of his condition. But I have not heard back yet. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I would be very interested what other people have done in this situation, as far as leaving if your pet is receiving extended treatment. Toby stays very close to me, I think it just helps him to feel better. My friend probably won't be here by the time Toby is done, the cancer is in her lungs now and she is on chemo too. With my family, my dad is 85 and we haven't seen him since last November. Augh it is just hard. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I thought about asking the oncologist if we could put an extra week in there before starting Toby's third round, but I don't know if that would actually cause him to regress in any way. I did ask her about leaving town and she said it should be easier when we are on a two-week schedule and other clients have taken time away. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Anyhow, let me know what you think, everyone. I thought about asking people at the adoption center where I volunteer, a few of them live or work in my town. It is just that my kitties don't know them and that makes it harder. Plus some of them are more dog adoption oriented. [/font]

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barb, my daughter always gets the vet tech who works with her regular vet to come to the house and take care of her animals.  She has a long time relationship with the girl and trusts her good enough to let her come inside and feed her dog, let him out etc.  She comes twice a day when my daughter has to be gone. Is something like that a possiblity?  I hope you find a solution.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could, but none of the nearby vets are really good, so I don't use them. My first cat sitter worked at the vet here in town where I took my kitties, lol. It was her who told me not to use that vet bc they were not cat friendly. LOL. My current cat sitter is a vet tech which is why I wanted her to do the visits but she can't. I am going to ask around at the adoption center tomorrow. The person I would normally ask is in the hospital from a dog bite augh. We shall see. 

I just feel bad about the idea of leaving Toby. Even right now he is sitting right beside me. But it will only be weds-sun. Very tough decision. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barb, I'm so sorry about your friend. :hugs: :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Ask the oncologist if a delay of a week (or however long it would be) would be a problem. When Lazlo developed the bleeding ulcers that second time and was anemic, they put off his treatment for 5 days. :nod:

Ask at the shelter, ask at the vet, and if you're not having luck with referrals, you can search for a professional here: http://www.petsitters.org/

Carolina found a professional sitter that feeds raw and rescues, so completely understands the issue of getting cats to eat. You may find someone that "clicks" with you - or that even has experience with cancer kitties. :heart2:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay on the good side the oncologist did say we could push his next chemo back a week- so now he has no chemo again until August 14th. I asked her if that would harm him at all. She said a lot of times they have to wait a week for animals whose blood counts are affected by the chemo, so not to worry. I feel good about this and hopeful that he will be ok during this time and not slide back to vomiting or anything. 

I have a few names of referrals from my friends- I actually keep a list from past experience LOL. I am going to look them up and start calling. These are great people but they let time slide by. I had wanted to wait for them because I don't want to be a fickle customer and also my kitties know them. But I said to John I should start a pet sitting and dog walking business in this area just on the basis that I will call people back promptly. I'm sure life gets in the way for everyone though. 

nicolescally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought my cat to the vet today as he had symptoms very like your cat. The vet had a feel of him and said he was very gasey she changed his diet to royal canin sentivity control and gave him an injection to prevent him vomiting. He could have a sensitive stomach like my cat

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I brought my cat to the vet today as he had symptoms very like your cat. The vet had a feel of him and said he was very gasey she changed his diet to royal canin sentivity control and gave him an injection to prevent him vomiting. He could have a sensitive stomach like my cat
Her kitty was definitively diagnosed with cancer, and has been receiving chemotherapy since May.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called another pet sitting service today and I may be ok for August. By pure coincidence the owner's parents live across the street from me. It is new for her to do petsitting, she just took over the business in April. I am going to meet with her on Sunday. It may be good just to have them as backup. Augh this is so touch and go. 

Meanwhile I heard from my existing pet sitter that they are trying to see about August. I hope it works out!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barb, I just know this whole thing is going to work out for you and Toby.  Keep plugging on and the answer will come.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope your existing sitter will be able to work it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand... if you have to use the person getting into petsitting, you know she'll do a good job, she'll need the reference. :nod:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it will work out too. We haven't finalized our trip yet. We are taking a short trip tomorrow and returning Friday- our original cat sitter will look after the kitties for this short one. I am hoping Toby will be ok. I still have to write her instructions for feeding and now I realize I don't have a set pattern, bc I just keep opening cans until he likes one and then the others get the stuff he didn't want. LOL.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toby update-it is his week following the doxyrubicin :-(. He's crouched over a lot more, and just now I saw him at his drinkwell, sitting there looking at it, but not drinking. I've been asked a few times by the vet/techs if he has sat at his water but not drunk any. What does this mean? 

As for our trip in a few weeks, probably I will do air miles and just go on my own for the short weekend. Augh. We just can't do it. And this is better for Toby. 

I have to say overall he is doing well. I just hate to see him when he is in his rabbit crouching position. He wants his darn crunchies too, no interest in wet food today. What do others do when their cancer kitties are like this!! 

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toby update-it is his week following the doxyrubicin :-(. He's crouched over a lot more, and just now I saw him at his drinkwell, sitting there looking at it, but not drinking. I've been asked a few times by the vet/techs if he has sat at his water but not drunk any. What does this mean? 

As for our trip in a few weeks, probably I will do air miles and just go on my own for the short weekend. Augh. We just can't do it. And this is better for Toby. 

I have to say overall he is doing well. I just hate to see him when he is in his rabbit crouching position. He wants his darn crunchies too, no interest in wet food today. What do others do when their cancer kitties are like this!! 
Hi Barb, how did he do yesterday? Is he still behaving this way?
I would call the vet..... If I am not mistaken, a couple of possibilities: 1-nausea..... 2- Kidney problems.....
3- nothing..... Just a coincidence.... He might not be feeling well overall, and just hanging by the water... I have that happen in the past after surgeries of during treatments with the babies when they were not feeling well.... and it was nothing.
Either way you want to address it..... :cross: it is nausea, and :cross: it is gone by now.
Call the vet Barb, if he is still behaving this way, call the vet right away - especially if this medication has side effects affecting the kidneys :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Barb! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I agree with Carolina. Call to find out what this means and what their concern is, why they ask this. Lazlo wasn't on that and never had that reaction. The oncologist never asked us this question - though they did ask if he was drinking excessively. :dk: (Thankfully he never was).

I forget, is Toby on an anti-nausea med?

And if all he wants are crunchies, I'd offer him the freeze dried Stella and chewy's. If he doesn't want it and only wants kibble, I'd let him have it. :heart3: Poor baby is going through so much. I think kitties and people fighting cancer should eat what makes them happy. (Within reason. ;) ).

Vibes for Toby!!!!!!!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Toby takes cerenia for 4 days following each chemo. He always crouches more after the 4th treatment, the doxyrubicin. 

He is doing better now, not so much crouching and eating a lot more. He threw up this morning but I think it was because he ate too much and he got into the crunchies in the pantry. It was not a lot. He tends to be a little less hungry in the early AM anyhow and I give him milder food, turkey or mild fish. 

Toby gets a blood panel at each vet visit, i.e. every week, so I think he is probably doing ok overall. It will be three weeks this time before his next visit (the 14th). I am hoping to spare him the trip to the doctor again so soon. If he shows signs of serious illness tho, I will call them and take him. Not that they will be there LOL. Apparently the oncologists take a 3 day weekend and when they are not there, there is no one answering for them. Interesting support setup lol. 

I've been giving him crunchies at night just a few. That is when he begs for them. Then of course we have to give a few to the other kitties. Augh. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As his mom, you know best what he needs. :nod: I'm glad to hear he's feeling better! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But next time you're there (might want to write it down LOL), you might want to ask why they ask about the crouching by the water dish! I'm really curious what that is. :nod:

:hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah me too and I will ask them about it. Based on how Toby looked and his crouching, I would guess nausea. He did not vomit. He just looked very uncomfortable and he seemed to seek out chair arms to crouch on. I think they might have helped him to situate his stomach in a way that made him feel less bad.

At night he would still lie down beside me and want his neck massage lol. Then later I would wake up and he would be gone. In the morning we would find him curled up on the kitchen floor in the corner in a cat ball directly under the counter where we usually feed him, or in the corner by the sliding glass door (where he always wants outside and where Ace/William eat). He curled up so tight that one day John called me downstairs to look at him bc it is an unnatural location and position for him, but I have seen it before in the days after his chemo. 

I did not have time to call after I posted and you replied, mostly because Toby was doing a whole lot better. But also a bunch of things cropped up all at once, primarily a friend's father died and we had to go to the funeral home and were there most of the day/night. You know how your world stops and then you pick back up. Also I had a birthday in there and had to renew my drivers license, had my 5 yr cancer checkup and took in another foster, did two shifts at the adoption center, and my sister got married, yes all between Monday and yesterday. Augh! 

Anyhow he is right beside me now after wolfing down his fancy feast tender beef and liver (roll eyes) while the feral kitties eat the soulistic and tiki cat food that he is not interested in lol. It is all grain free though so that is good. 

All in all I don't think we have the result we want yet, i.e. full remission but we seem to have some sort of partial remission. I do not think the lymphatic mass is gone, it is possibly reduced. I will ask the oncologist about him being tested before the third round. It won't make a difference in our treatment but I would like to know where we stand. The oncologist assures me that his bad rumpled fur and his discomfort are all natural for chemo too and should not be construed as failure to respond to treatment. I think tho, that he is not completely responding, it is just my opinion. 

Status
Not open for further replies.