Toby vomiting and losing weight, fine otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, unless he has a major turnaround it is likely we will have to take him to be euthanized on Sunday. He got his last baytril last night and it made me crazy to have to give it to him. He did eat some food last nightbut not really anything substantial. He is still showing interest in going outside and last night he wanted to play with a sparkle ball. But this morning he was gagging to throw up and could not bring anything up, and he is sitting in the same chair. I am about to give him fluids and I hope that will help him. 

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Barb, my heart is aching for you. This sounds just like what was happening with Midnight at the end. Words cannot tell you how sorry I am this is happening. You've tried so hard to save him and I'm sure the last thing he wants is to leave you. It's not fair. 
 Please know we are all here for you my friend. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the love and hugs in the world are coming your way, dear friend. Praying for you peace of mind and strength to get through this difficult time.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the support. Today he went outside and laid with me on his fur blanket in the sun and I stroked his face and told him how beautiful and perfect he was, and what a good little boy he has been his whole life. I reminded him of how he jumped into the middle of our pizza on his first day at our house 12 years and 2 months ago, and of the time he ran away when mommy's back was turned and got stuck in the neighbor's garage overnite, and how that was his last outside until recently lol.

He was too sick to chase birds or his toys but he wanted to be outside for sure, and he liked to listen to John making him a new fishing pole too. Then we brought him in for a while and he laid at the door with Lola beside him. He retched but could not bring up anything. He wanted to go back outside so we let him out back and he went into Ace and William's gazebo and laid down under the chaise lounge deep inside their lair. I think he has always wanted to go in there and today was his day. Ace and William know he is sick, so they crept out looking confused and a little worried but they weren't scared as they have seen him the past week and a half. We pulled up some of the solar pool cover so we could keep an eye on him, and he moved around inside their lair until he finally found a spot he could relax in, inside a cat tree round hole that is under another pool cover inside the gazebo. It is a good thing- this time of year we start lifting the pool cover and finally remove it when we are sure the last of the below freezing weather is gone, so we did not disturb Ace and William.

Tomorrow Toby's PTS appointment is at 3:20pm :-(. We gave him some buprenorphine a few hours ago and put him in our bed after he came inside from the gazebo, and then we went and got a little bit more from the vet so he will be ok tonight, as we only had a very small amount to begin with. When we give him the pain killer, as we have been the past several nights at bedtime, he leaves his crouching position and goes into a curled up relaxed position and he starts to purr and goes to sleep. We know he is in pain. When he walks his back legs sort of stagger behind him, even though when he is chasing something, he reverts to normal running. We think he must feel his kidneys or some organs that hurt when he walks. Still, he is up and moving around after he receives fluids. But today he ate nothing, even after his fluids and before his pain meds, he has shown no interest in food and usually he will have at least something. And altho he was outside, he hardly moved at all and did not want to play. So we know it is his time. :-(. I don't know how I will make it to the vet and back, John is going too and will drive. I will not be able to hold it together. I do not want to let him go.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Barb!!! 
 you've been there for me with the passing of Midnight and we'll all be here for you. My heart bleeds for you right now. 

lizandoreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Howdy, BarB.

I am brand new to this forum and have scanned your posts. I am very sorry for your Toby. His quality of life is not good. I am sending you virtual hugs of support.

Liz and Oreo the cat.

Hondo, TX.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad he got to spend some time in the coveted gazebo. ;) :heart2: My heart is breaking for you and Toby, Barb, just breaking into pieces. I'm so, so sorry, sweetie. He's an amazing little guy and so very, very loved. :heart2:

Just many, many, many more hugs during this incredibly difficult time.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:heart2:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Because you love him so much, you will find the strength to be strong for him at his appointment.  Then you will break down afterwards.  But you don't want him to be afraid, so I'm sure you will hold it together.  John will be there to help you

I know you don't want to let him go, but you also don't want him to suffer.  This is the price we pay for loving them so much
.  But it is worth having that love for all the good times we share with them
.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and John and the  road you will travel tomorrow. 

that Toby has a good, comfortable night tonight.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barb, I'm so sorry you and Toby are suffering through this. He will soon be in peace. :hugs:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thinking of you and Toby today Barb. Peaceful journey sweet boy! we love you both! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know you are in my prayers. I am truly sorry. Hugs.:grphug2:

Last edited:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, Toby went to the rainbow bridge yesterday night, all of us and his doctor cried after he was gone, and before that we all gave him lots of pettings and made him feel very loved. 
 I am still crying as it is just a void, I just want him back, I want him back so much, even while I know he could not stay in this world in his pain.

I really appreciate all your support and caring and all the support and help everyone has given through the last year. I would not have been able to do so much for him without all the information and help shared on this thread, it meant everything to us and made a huge difference in Toby's health.

I miss him so very much already, I just miss him. Here is his rainbow bridge link where I put up some of our pictures. My sweetest little boy.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258703/rip-dear-toby-who-lost-his-battle-with-large-cell-lymphoma

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry Barb. It was the right decision, but very hard all the same. :hugs:

I will close this thread now and people can post their condolences in your Bridge thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.