Tiny Kitten Not Being Fed!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some momma cats will let babies feed longer before weaning, but others wean them soon after those sharp pointy canine teeth come in. Can't say I blame them! :lol:
For real! The other Momma was WAY more patient. Was wishing she had still been making milk when these were born. :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Preferably (to Pedialyte) you can get some of the KMR into her. She needs the calories and nutrition. Keep trying!
Thanks! Will get some. I've been giving her some replacement milk but will get the KMR! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I misunderstood and thought you meant KMR when you wrote "replacement milk". What type of milk are you giving her?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't have KMR, you can use a Hoskins formula:

Hoskins formula
  • 3 oz. goat’s milk
  • 3 oz. water
  • 4 oz. plain full-fat yogurt
  • 3 egg yolks
I just finished feeding an abandoned kitten from 5 weeks until he was 8 weeks old for adoption, and bought ingredients for the Hoskins mix instead of buying KMR. Mainly because I will happily consume the "leftovers" from Hoskins. He ate a mix of Hoskins and canned cat food (50/50) for a couple of days before he was eating regular canned food and didn't want the Hoskins anymore. (I had a lot of the separate ingredients left over.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR stands for kitten milk replacer. It's kitten formula.

If you are using replacement milk, you are probably using KMR, also known as kitten formula.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried making a burrito for your kitten? You can wrap her in a towel so that only her head is out. Feed with a needleless syringe into the corner of her mouth, a few drops at a time. Hold her so she is on her tummy and head tilted slightly up.
If you have powdered replacement milk, you can make this up using unflavored Pedialyte instead of water.
You can also try making a soup from pate-style cat food by adding water or replacement milk. You can feed her that slurry with a syringe or in a bowl.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, if the two brother kittens are already eating dry and wet food, she is a little bit behind. One way or another, you need to get food into her so she doesn't fade.
I have her licking just a little of the gravy from turkey cat food off of my finger. I wonder how much she should take in daily for her to hang on?

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you considering spaying your female cats as well? It's important for their health.
I know that I will have the two brothers neutered when they are old enough. It is $65 per boy, so spaying the girls will be a bit behind. But I will certainly be sure not to have any more kittens born! And your mentioning the health importance of spaying the girls has certainly led me to research the subject! Thanks bunches!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried making a burrito for your kitten? You can wrap her in a towel so that only her head is out. Feed with a needleless syringe into the corner of her mouth, a few drops at a time. Hold her so she is on her tummy and head tilted slightly up.
If you have powdered replacement milk, you can make this up using unflavored Pedialyte instead of water.
You can also try making a soup from pate-style cat food by adding water or replacement milk. You can feed her that slurry with a syringe or in a bowl.
Excellent advice! I should have thought of the towel to help keep her from hurting herself! I was using the liquid replacement milk, but will be sure to get the powdered tomorrow to mix with the Pedialyte. And the soup will be next feeding. Thanks! :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you are using replacement milk, you are probably using KMR, also known as kitten formula.
Oh thanks! I was thinking it was a better brand name or something. I've been giving it to her warmed up. I was using the liquid, but per advice from another kind soul here will get the powdered tomorrow to mix with Pedialyte. Bless you! :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hoskins formula
  • 3 oz. goat’s milk
  • 3 oz. water
  • 3 egg yolks
I just finished feeding an abandoned kitten from 5 weeks until he was 8 weeks old for adoption, and bought ingredients for the Hoskins mix instead of buying KMR. Mainly because I will happily consume the "leftovers" from Hoskins. He ate a mix of Hoskins and canned cat food (50/50) for a couple of days before he was eating regular canned food and didn't want the Hoskins anymore. (I had a lot of the separate ingredients left over.)
Thanks! Will the Hoskin's help more than the KMR?

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I misunderstood and thought you meant KMR when you wrote "replacement milk". What type of milk are you giving her?
It is called PetAg Milk Replacer Plus for Kittens. Someone just let me know that KMR stands for Kitten Milk Replacer. I thought it was a brand name! haha think I'm a little slow! :p

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that I will have the two brothers neutered when they are old enough. It is $65 per boy, so spaying the girls will be a bit behind. But I will certainly be sure not to have any more kittens born! And your mentioning the health importance of spaying the girls has certainly led me to research the subject! Thanks bunches!
Wow, that's expensive. At the low cost spay/neuter clinic here it is $45 full price and $30 subsidized. (for a spay. cheaper for a neuter)
Where are you located? We can help find a low cost clinic near you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pedialyte, containing both glucose sugar and salts, is good, really good. Here, because its the glucose sugar content which gives quick energy.

BUT there are also sold salt solutions, which are working after heavy work sweating much, or when its very hot, drinking a lot of water, or in heavy diarrhea - but without glucose sugar. And such a salt solutions (Oral rehydrating solutions) are sometimes called too as a pedialyte.
So, look up with the content label.

Its possible to make working home made pedialyte, but observe, better use honey than common table sugar. Honey does contain a lot of glucose and thus, works immediately already in the mouth. While common table sugar must be digested at first - in an healthy individual it doesnt not matter much, but sometimes the digestation process has already shut off. Or there is no time for such luxuries as digestation.... BTW, White caro syrup works too and is often used by rescuers in the USA.
Best is of course the normal glucose sugar / dextrose, but it seems to be difficult to find in USA. In Sweden there are many places to get it in normal shops. Both for kitchen use, as candy and for sportsmen and students.

Is pedialite as good as honey in water?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some minor details for further explanation: kmr = kitten mother milk replacement - any commercial brand
KMR = kitten mother milk replacement; a brand made by the PetAg. One of the very best, which we often recommend. Its sold in two variations: in powder, to dilute yourself. Its the best one! Premade liquid - its not so good, we dont recommend it. but the little bottles are cheap, so you can have ONE such bottle in reserve, not to be totally helpless in the middle of the night....
Worth perhaps to mention: there is also a stage II of these brands, for older kittens "weaning preparation". These arent reliable, many kittens get upset stomach. So dont use them, use stage I thorough, or change to goats milk if you want to try a change.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This brand is good it too, its made by the same producer as the renown KMR.

Btw, you mentioned the little one suckles only one or two minutes. It MAY be enough, the real suckling time is often short but intensive. Rest of the time they are just having a pleasant pastime. But as she doenst get enough you could try to let her suckle more times a day... - AND supplement feed too, dont experimentate. + pedialyte as water.

It is called PetAg Milk Replacer Plus for Kittens. Someone just let me know that KMR stands for Kitten Milk Replacer. I thought it was a brand name! haha think I'm a little slow! :p
If you are successfull you see by weighting her - if she adds good, its good and well, if she barely adds, you must give more... Quite simple and easy. Very experienced rescuers do often see by a glance, but the not s very experienced must have help of the scale.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoskins formula is surely working and good, but observe, goats milk as such is fully enough. You really dont need to add anything. Although I can imagine it becomes even better with these additions

Hoskins formula
  • 3 oz. goat’s milk
  • 3 oz. water
  • 3 egg yolks
. :)

Observe also, if you dont have no goats milk either, the rest of the ingredients is enough to make an emergency formula...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks! Will the Hoskin's help more than the KMR?
You can simply add an egg yolk to the KMR (or goats milk) - if you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs at your place. It seems several years ago such problems were common, but it seems they are less common nowadays.

If you can get raw goats milk, it may be worth a try as an alternative. Pasterized goats milk is OK to use, but not the same potential edge - and thus, not better than these PetAgs kmr we did mentioned so far.