Tiny Kitten Not Being Fed!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's very cute. Can you please answer the questions above in posts 8 and 12?
Hi! Just figured out what 8 and 12 meant! I think I'd been putting answers in the wrong place! Sorry! We have had 2 Mom's have litters from the same Dad. We hurried to get him neutered and all of our cats are indoor only cats. The only sick kittens we have had are from the same litter (the second Mom to have a litter). The litter I have been asking about was born in March, I believe (someone mentioned February. I don't know whether I am mistaken about their birth dates or there is somebody else in mind?). The first kitten that I had been asking about died after only about 3 days. The second kitten is from the same litter, but only within the past week have we been alarmed, as Mom was regularly nursing her three remaining kittens.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Just figured out what 8 and 12 meant! I think I'd been putting answers in the wrong place! Sorry! We have had 2 Mom's have litters from the same Dad. We hurried to get him neutered and all of our cats are indoor only cats. The only sick kittens we have had are from the same litter (the second Mom to have a litter). The litter I have been asking about was born in March, I believe (someone mentioned February. I don't know whether I am mistaken about their birth dates or there is somebody else in mind?). The first kitten that I had been asking about died after only about 3 days. The second kitten is from the same litter, but only within the past week have we been alarmed, as Mom was regularly nursing her three remaining kittens.
This is why we recommend you only make one post for your cat. It makes it easier for us to help you if the information is all in one place.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is feeding the little female kitten going? Are you able to get her to eat formula, baby food, or wet food?
She aggressively resists being fed anything! Only wants Mom's milk! It is terrifying me to force feed her! She is so tiny and doesn't seem to weigh more than a paperclip! I am trying turkey baby food and kitten replacement formula. She fights anything, so I never get much into her. She will drink pedialite from a small bowl like she does water, and her Mom will nurse her in very short sessions (1-2 minutes, two or three times a day), but fights anything we try and feed her!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is why we recommend you only make one post for your cat. It makes it easier for us to help you if the information is all in one place.
So sorry! I'm not really familiar with the site and still not sure how to keep it all in one place. Initially found it by searching google for answers and that had led me to some of your posts. Hope I am not creating new posts now! So sorry for the confusion! Really am grateful for all of the kind help!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. You must step in and handfeed the little one. I want to mention also goats milk as a good alternative, for supplement or even as a base.

She drinks water right? You can add a little honey into the water. glucose sugar in the honey goes directly into blood already from the mouth. This will buy you some time.

Re the first one whom was weak and passed awayy. Probably it was some fault on him, momma felt this, and abandoned. So probably it was a goner. BUT the recipe is essentially the same: sometimes they CAN be saved if the owner steps in resolutely and handfeed it... Its almost always worth a honest try. Good to know if there will be a next occassion.
Thanks! Will be sure to keep the site posted! Is pedialite as good as honey in water?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry! I'm not really familiar with the site and still not sure how to keep it all in one place. Initially found it by searching google for answers and that had led me to some of your posts. Hope I am not creating new posts now! So sorry for the confusion! Really am grateful for all of the kind help!
We were all new once! We are here to help! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Will be sure to keep the site posted! Is pedialite as good as honey in water?
Pedialyte is better, but if you run out, then homemade Pedialyte is:

1 quart clean water (no chlorine or fluoride)
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon common table salt

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Preferably (to Pedialyte) you can get some of the KMR into her. She needs the calories and nutrition. Keep trying!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if you can get mama to feed her for longer by sitting with them and petting mom while the kitten nurses.

She's just not quite ready to wean. With a more patient mom, this would not be a problem.

She will learn to eat soon though.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if you can get mama to feed her for longer by sitting with them and petting mom while the kitten nurses.

She's just not quite ready to wean. With a more patient mom, this would not be a problem.

Yes, if the two brother kittens are already eating dry and wet food, she is a little bit behind. One way or another, you need to get food into her so she doesn't fade.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte is better, but if you run out, then homemade Pedialyte is:

1 quart clean water (no chlorine or fluoride)
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon common table salt
Thanks! :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have her milk teeth yet? If so you could try a canned kitten food. This could even be syringed into her mouth
She has a set of lovely teeth! Thanks! I've been trying turkey baby food, but she will not tolerate much. Fights it so much I'm scared of hurting her! But I will keep going and will move to kitten food with the syringe! Great to have all of you on here! :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may even take a bite sized amount if you pick the food up and hold it to her mouth. This is how I get my guys to eat if they are being difficult.
I'll keep trying this daily. Right know she is se against it. Thanks! :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Mom oftentimes tries to carry her away from the others, so I'm worried that something is wrong with the kitten. Using various lured to get Mom to feed her. The most successful is when I put the kitten between my legs and Momma Cat is used to being babied so she eventually will get in the space between my legs also and the baby feeds but it still is usually only a minute or two. Thanks bunches! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some momma cats will let babies feed longer before weaning, but others wean them soon after those sharp pointy canine teeth come in. Can't say I blame them! :lol:

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining more! Have you tried offering her warm kmr in a dish?
Very welcome! Adore all of you for offering help! I will have to look for KMR at PetSmart. Hadn't heard of it. I've been giving her replacement milk in a feeding bottle for as much as she will tolerate at a time, but she refuses to drink it from a dish. She will drink Pedialyte. Thanks! :)