Tiny Kitten Not Being Fed!!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Momma Cat gave birth to four kittens. I had mentioned in a previous post that she would not feed one and kept trying to take it away from the others. Eventually the poor baby had passed. So Momma fed the other three, but seemed to wean them earlier than I would have expected. The two boys are just fine. Eating dry and wet kitten food and healthy. But the girl is really really tiny and Mom will not feed her and she seems like she is being tortured when I try to bottle feed her. She drinks water but it seems like she gets it in her nose, so I don't know how much she is getting. Can anyone help me know how to help her? Thank you so much!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This little one will HAVE to be supplemented to survive, I think. Let me yell for a couple of our experts that come to mind immediately and see if one of them can help with the details. I don't want to give you incorrect information!

StefanZ StefanZ @arouetta Sarthur2 Sarthur2 You guys know more about keeping kittens alive than anyone else I know! Well...a couple more, but in my top 5! Sorry to bug you, but he needs someone!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they now? Is the little girl eating any solid food at all? Try mashing some canned food with kitten formula to make it a thick soup texture, see if she'll lap that up. If not, she may accept a dropper or feeding syringe better than a bottle. Some meat baby food (something like Gerber, no spices added) added to the formula will add protein and get her used to the taste of meat.

Have the been de-wormed yet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are these the kittens that were born in February, or is this a new litter?

I agree that you must either bottle or syringe feed the kitten with formula, or begin trying soft foods like Gerber turkey meat baby food.

Can you post a picture of her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GOOD! Another of the real knowledgeables is here! I can relax a little now! Thanks, Willowy, I know almost nothing, and he needs real help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. You must step in and handfeed the little one. I want to mention also goats milk as a good alternative, for supplement or even as a base.

She drinks water right? You can add a little honey into the water. glucose sugar in the honey goes directly into blood already from the mouth. This will buy you some time.

Re the first one whom was weak and passed awayy. Probably it was some fault on him, momma felt this, and abandoned. So probably it was a goner. BUT the recipe is essentially the same: sometimes they CAN be saved if the owner steps in resolutely and handfeed it... Its almost always worth a honest try. Good to know if there will be a next occassion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are they now? Is the little girl eating any solid food at all? Try mashing some canned food with kitten formula to make it a thick soup texture, see if she'll lap that up. If not, she may accept a dropper or feeding syringe better than a bottle. Some meat baby food (something like Gerber, no spices added) added to the formula will add protein and get her used to the taste of meat.

Have the been de-wormed yet?
Thanks so much! Not dewormed yet. Too young? About 5-6 wks old. Will try you suggestions, thanks my angel!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
robert notter robert notter

Is this litter from the same mom who had a litter in late February?

Do you plan to spay mom soon?

She can be spayed anytime now since the other kittens are eating solids.

Back to back litters are hard on mom.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Give us your city and state and I will locate a low-cost spay clinic for you. :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I agree that you must either bottle or syringe feed the kitten with formula, or begin trying soft foods like Gerber turkey meat baby food.

I do believe this is most likely from the same litter as the one you are thinking of. The kitten I had referred to had died :( this one has survived so far but although she will nurse her Mom has "weaned" them (early I think!) and she tries to carry her off somewhere away from the others. I'm writing from my laptop, have asked my wife to email me pictures from her tablet so I can post them on this thread. If you could look for them? Thanks so much my angel!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is this litter from the same mom who had a litter in late February?

Do you plan to spay mom soon?

She can be spayed anytime now since the other kittens are eating solids.

Back to back litters are hard on mom.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Give us your city and state and I will locate a low-cost spay clinic for you. :)
Sorry forgot to address the spay! The Dad is neutered now and they are all inside cats. I have 8 now! whew!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

See my Post #8 above.

Your cat had a litter in late February. Those kittens would be 3 1/2 months old now. Where are those kittens?

This is a new litter. Mom needs spaying.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

think i tried to answer you in the wrong spot, sorry! your advice is gold, will do! thanks my angel!

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pictures of our little Willow, sorry about poor quality
000000.JPG

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, she is so cute, poor little thing! Yes, try the formula and cannd food mush, I think she might take that. Smear a little in her mouth to get her started. I would keep giving formula mixed with the canned food until she's around 3 months old, to give her a strong start. Keep in mind that some females can be much smaller than some males so that might be why her brothers are bigger. But it is very important to make sure she eats enough.

If you have some kittens who are 3 1/2 months old, it's time now to spay/neuter. They can get pregnant this young, it's rare but it has happened. Don't need that! 8 is enough! :D

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

See my Post #8 above.

Your cat had a litter in late February. Those kittens would be 3 1/2 months old now. Where are those kittens?

This is a new litter. Mom needs spaying.
I have 2 Momma cats that have had litters. The first had five kittens, which have remained healthy throughout (4 have new homes, 1 is still with us). The second had four kittens. One has died, two are healthy and the fourth is the one that I am writing about. My earlier post was about the kitten from the same litter who had died, this one is about a sibling from the same litter who had appeared to be on pace with her brothers until Mom began weaning them. The 2 brothers had started eating kitten food, whereas the little girl only wants Momma's milk but she will not stay with the baby.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to include that the Dad has been neutered and that all of our cats are completely indoor cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is feeding the little female kitten going? Are you able to get her to eat formula, baby food, or wet food?