Tiny Kitten Not Being Fed!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Will the Hoskin's help more than the KMR?
No, either the PetAG or Hoskins formula should do the same job. When I brought in the 5 week old kitten, I didn't have either on hand. I bought the Hoskins ingredients because, for about the same price, I didn't want leftover ingredients that I wouldn't be able to use. The kitten went to canned cat food within a few days, and I enjoyed yogurt and berries for breakfast. :D

I have her licking just a little of the gravy from turkey cat food off of my finger. I wonder how much she should take in daily for her to hang on?
The little kitten I fed ate 3.5 to 5 ounces a day, plus extra water mixed with goat's milk on the side (but that was by weight, not by measured volume...so I'm not sure if that helps you...I weighed his food on a scale).

Do you have a scale to see if the kitten is gaining weight?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In many areas in North America its actually illegal to sell raw milk of any kind (cow, sheep, horse, goat etc.) because of the threat to human health from bacteria. You probably won't find this unless you are close to a farm.

Liberté makes a 10% goat's milk yoghurt which is what my vet recommended for Hector when she was not eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's expensive. At the low cost spay/neuter clinic here it is $45 full price and $30 subsidized. (for a spay. cheaper for a neuter)
Where are you located? We can help find a low cost clinic near you.
I'm in Albemarle, NC Thanks :)

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte, containing both glucose sugar and salts, is good, really good. Here, because its the glucose sugar content which gives quick energy.

BUT there are also sold salt solutions, which are working after heavy work sweating much, or when its very hot, drinking a lot of water, or in heavy diarrhea - but without glucose sugar. And such a salt solutions (Oral rehydrating solutions) are sometimes called too as a pedialyte.
So, look up with the content label.

Its possible to make working home made pedialyte, but observe, better use honey than common table sugar. Honey does contain a lot of glucose and thus, works immediately already in the mouth. While common table sugar must be digested at first - in an healthy individual it doesnt not matter much, but sometimes the digestation process has already shut off. Or there is no time for such luxuries as digestation.... BTW, White caro syrup works too and is often used by rescuers in the USA.
Best is of course the normal glucose sugar / dextrose, but it seems to be difficult to find in USA. In Sweden there are many places to get it in normal shops. Both for kitchen use, as candy and for sportsmen and students.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some minor details for further explanation: kmr = kitten mother milk replacement - any commercial brand
KMR = kitten mother milk replacement; a brand made by the PetAg. One of the very best, which we often recommend. Its sold in two variations: in powder, to dilute yourself. Its the best one! Premade liquid - its not so good, we dont recommend it. but the little bottles are cheap, so you can have ONE such bottle in reserve, not to be totally helpless in the middle of the night....
Worth perhaps to mention: there is also a stage II of these brands, for older kittens "weaning preparation". These arent reliable, many kittens get upset stomach. So dont use them, use stage I thorough, or change to goats milk if you want to try a change.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This brand is good it too, its made by the same producer as the renown KMR.

Btw, you mentioned the little one suckles only one or two minutes. It MAY be enough, the real suckling time is often short but intensive. Rest of the time they are just having a pleasant pastime. But as she doenst get enough you could try to let her suckle more times a day... - AND supplement feed too, dont experimentate. + pedialyte as water.

If you are successfull you see by weighting her - if she adds good, its good and well, if she barely adds, you must give more... Quite simple and easy. Very experienced rescuers do often see by a glance, but the not s very experienced must have help of the scale.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hoskins formula is surely working and good, but observe, goats milk as such is fully enough. You really dont need to add anything. Although I can imagine it becomes even better with these additions

. :)

Observe also, if you dont have no goats milk either, the rest of the ingredients is enough to make an emergency formula...

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can simply add an egg yolk to the KMR (or goats milk) - if you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs at your place. It seems several years ago such problems were common, but it seems they are less common nowadays.

If you can get raw goats milk, it may be worth a try as an alternative. Pasterized goats milk is OK to use, but not the same potential edge - and thus, not better than these PetAgs kmr we did mentioned so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Charlotte is about one hour away from Albemarle, but the link Kashmir provided is for an organization that offers monthly transport from Albemarle to Charlotte. :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure since an hour away for me is just getting groceries.
The first one is for Albemarle.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Little Willow couldn't hold on any longer. Most of the last couple of days, the only way to comfort her was to bring her Mom near when she would cry out, and Mom licking her from head to toe for minutes would make her sleep peacefully. Thank you all so much for such great advice. I tried but it wasn't meant to be. God bless all that are kind and loving to your little ones! My most sincere appreciation for your help!:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Willow, dream you deep. You fought so hard, and those who loved you fought for you too. Your tiny life mattered.

robert notter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Willow, dream you deep. You fought so hard, and those who loved you fought for you too. Your tiny life mattered.
Thank you so much for your beautiful words! Her two brothers are healthy and always playing together. I will miss her and her sibling that passed at 3 days old and wish they were playing here too! Never forget her little owl face and searching eyes! Prayers and blessings to your little ones of all kinds! Thanks again!