This Poor Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're home from the vet, .  Let me say, fist, that she was looking better today. she ate some this morning, and when I entered the cattery she was nursing kittens.  I fed them, and I when I went upstairs to get her  antibiotics, she was nursing again when I got back downstairs.  When I got home from Co-op, she was waiting for some food! 

So, i got the same  um, "young" vet.  She walked in and said, Oh!  She's still looking so bright!  And I'm like, well not really. She's perked up some, but she was  NOT "bright" this weekend.   Bottom line: She is exhausted, (that I knew) and has "some sort of infection" . 

Seriously?  I kinda figured that.  I did notice that she was licking her vulva a bit yesterday, and they vet looked at it really closely-  so I said it outright- Does she have a uterine infection? She never answered me directly. "Well, it can certainly be related to the hard time she had birthing and having that late, dead kitten" 

OH< the one I called you about and you told me NOT to worry about?   grr.

She has no fever.  No discharge. No smell.  I know she's tired. The big babies are eating real food now, and ONE OF THEM POOPED IN  THE LITTER TRAY! So we are working on taking over the brunt of feeding them so they can feed the littles.

The vet said Naomi was dehydrated, and so she said she  would do the sub-q fluids.  2 things- when I got her- there was no "bump" under her skin, and  she was all wet and the bottom of her crate was wet.  What do you think that mean? Do you think it all leaked out? 

She also gave her a shot of Convenia- an antibiotic, and sent  home some probiotic powder.

Sorry I'm so disjointed- I'm glad that Naomi is getting better, but annoyed that  this same vet makes me feel like an idiot- I'm exactly  an inexperienced cat owner. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think the liquids leaked out.

The vet sounds like she could use some experience herself. I understand how frustrating it must feel dealing with someone who has already rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe next time you can specifically request a vet other than that one.

I'm glad to hear that Naomi is eating better now. That's a good sign! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to frighten you, you have enough to deal with, but Convenia is normally used for skin infections, and can provoke some very adverse reactions. It stays in the body for up to two months, unlike most antibiotics. If you notice any further lethargy, or diarrhea or anything unusual, get back to the vet (a different one) fast.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We're home from the vet, .  Let me say, fist, that she was looking better today. she ate some this morning, and when I entered the cattery she was nursing kittens.  I fed them, and I when I went upstairs to get her  antibiotics, she was nursing again when I got back downstairs.  When I got home from Co-op, she was waiting for some food! 

So, i got the same  um, "young" vet.  She walked in and said, Oh!  She's still looking so bright!  And I'm like, well not really. She's perked up some, but she was  NOT "bright" this weekend.   Bottom line: She is exhausted, (that I knew) and has "some sort of infection" . 

Seriously?  I kinda figured that.  I did notice that she was licking her vulva a bit yesterday, and they vet looked at it really closely-  so I said it outright- Does she have a uterine infection? She never answered me directly. "Well, it can certainly be related to the hard time she had birthing and having that late, dead kitten" 

OH< the one I called you about and you told me NOT to worry about?   grr.

She has no fever.  No discharge. No smell.  I know she's tired. The big babies are eating real food now, and ONE OF THEM POOPED IN  THE LITTER TRAY! So we are working on taking over the brunt of feeding them so they can feed the littles.

The vet said Naomi was dehydrated, and so she said she  would do the sub-q fluids.  2 things- when I got her- there was no "bump" under her skin, and  she was all wet and the bottom of her crate was wet.  What do you think that mean? Do you think it all leaked out? 

She also gave her a shot of Convenia- an antibiotic, and sent  home some probiotic powder.

Sorry I'm so disjointed- I'm glad that Naomi is getting better, but annoyed that  this same vet makes me feel like an idiot- I'm exactly  an inexperienced cat owner. 
there was no 'bump', or pocket under her skin containing the fluids, when you gave Naomi the sub-q's?

might it be possible you could have stuck the needle through both sides of the skin 'tent' when sticking her to give the sub-q's?

another possibility might be that Naomi's skin isn't as 'elastic' as it might be, right now. so when the needle was removed, the skin didn't/took longer to 'close'.

there's also the possibility that the needle slid out of her while she was being given the fluids. that happened when i gave my little snick
sub-q's sometimes.

things i always did were: make sure to make a good 'tent' of the skin, which will help to prevent the needle going through both sides of it; always hold on to the needle while fluids are being given, so it doesn't start sliding out; and, use a cotton ball -- i'd place it over the needle as i was removing it, then apply pressure to the stick point on the skin for 2 or 3 minutes (sometimes you can 'nick' a vein, so some bleeding which applying pressure fixes) while gently moving the finger(s) applying pressure in a little circular motion. these things always worked for me and my little girl.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to frighten you, you have enough to deal with, but Convenia is normally used for skin infections, and can provoke some very adverse reactions. It stays in the body for up to two months, unlike most antibiotics. If you notice any further lethargy, or diarrhea or anything unusual, get back to the vet (a different one) fast.
Yes I expressly forbade my vet. Whom I think is gold to use this antibiotic after the dental if there were any extractions. Not because I'm sure it's bad I just felt there was enough antidotal evidence to make me question it's use. Especially when there are safer alternatives.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, crap. She did mention to me that it was "off label" use, and I questioned her, and asked if she had used it before on a nursing mama-.  she said that "no one tests drugs in pregnant and nursing cats" and when I asked if I could just continue using the amoxicillin, she told me that it, too, was off-label for a nursing mama- 

Now I'll be watching her like a hawk. 

Anything specific I should watch out for? i KNEW to tell you guys about the  shot- and when i picked her up I thought, hmm- better write that down. 

I didn't give the sub q  fluids- they did.   Damn.   I'll make her up some more KMR and give it to her. 

I'm So thankful I have you guys to talk to.   

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes I expressly forbade my vet. Whom I think is gold to use this antibiotic after the dental if there were any extractions. Not because I'm sure it's bad I just felt there was enough antidotal evidence to make me question it's use. Especially when there are safer alternatives.
Please share what you've heard

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I googled searched it, and now I'm freaked out.

Has anyone every had their cat been given the drug?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Deep breath and remember that side-effects are the oddity, not the norm.  That said, watch her carefully and RELAX!  You don't want to make her tense with your worry.  You are doing a stellar job.  IF she has any adverse reaction, then get her back in ASAP, and demand the "other" vet sees her.  So far, so good.

The fact of the matter is, EVERY KNOWN DRUG has possible adverse reactions.  Take a look at the warnings on some of the human ones.  You'll think twice before taking a vitamin tablet.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree.  I'm just so invested in this cat. I don't know how I'll ever give her up.   I wonder how she'll get along with my 3?????? :)    She swipes a bit at Wynonna now.  The hormone honeymoon is over. 

Oh, the vet did give me probiotics to use as well- funny, she said the  drug would be easier on her stomach. I'm going to order more probiotics for her via amazon, I think. And maybe see if she'll take some yogurt in a few days.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Please share what you've heard
all of the symptoms of some antibitoics but since its not in the cat's system you can't simply stop giving it.

Deep breath and remember that side-effects are the oddity, not the norm.  That said, watch her carefully and RELAX!  You don't want to make her tense with your worry.  You are doing a stellar job.  IF she has any adverse reaction, then get her back in ASAP, and demand the "other" vet sees her.  So far, so good.

The fact of the matter is, EVERY KNOWN DRUG has possible adverse reactions.  Take a look at the warnings on some of the human ones.  You'll think twice before taking a vitamin tablet.
The issue with this drug is it stays in the body for an extended period of time. So you have little control over an adverse effect.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
BTW off label use is almost more common than drugs developed more specifically for a specific species or condition. Off label is why cats have chemo, insulin and probably those fluids you put into them. Veterinary Handbooks address off label use.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, She's really doing well right now, wanting more food, nursing, cleaning the babies. I'm just going to be extra vigilant with her. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably all you have to do and she will likely be fine.

My instruction per the vet are fairly specific. I don't rule out any drug or treatment just a requirement to give consent to it's use.

It is always good to have your ear to the ground when it comes to your pets medications. Kitten was blinded because of a well known adverse effect. While it's well established the original reports were from pet owners and their veterinarians questioning the connection.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing better.  BTW keep an eye on the nursing kittens as well, some medications can be passed to them through the milk.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing better.  BTW keep an eye on the nursing kittens as well, some medications can be passed to them through the milk.
Yes, I asked if it was safe for the babies. She said it hasn't been tested.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone every had their cat been given the drug?
Yes, 6 of my 7 cats were given Convenia shots with their spay/neuter surgeries and none of them had any bad reactions. None of them were nursing moms, obviously. With the first 4, I didn't know the dangers but trusted my vet. With the last 2 I actually chose the shot because they both have horrible reactions (immediate and violent vomiting) to Clavamox. Your vet might even be right about this being easier on Naomi's stomach. Just watch her but don't worry!