This Poor Cat

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap:
Yes! We totally get the excitement of PEE! You have gained a valuable skill with giving subQ's and you're doing a great job with this family [emoji]128149[/emoji]

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At last some stress relief for you. I hope mama kitty will be doing better. The kittens are gorgeous,and healthy thanks to your loving care. I am sure Naomi will be feeling better soon. Let us know how she is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh, it scared the hell out of me. lol but the shot nearly sent me over the edge. My husband didn't have a great grip on her, and she jetted out of the way. I decided that I got half in her, and  that was okay. ;) 

but, she peed!  lol   So I'm all good. 

PS- I totally also have learned how to make an IV stand out of a spotlight  stand!  :) 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad, Wendy. Surely she is feeling better. I watched you give the fluids on Facebook. You were doing a great job with all the stress you are under.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a burrito wrap? What's a burrito?
A burrito is a tortilla wrapped around refried beans, meat, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, hot peppers, whatever you like.  Once it's all wrapped up it becomes easy to eat with your hands.  Basically, a sandwich made with a tortilla.  (You know tortilla?  Flat, unleavened soft bread, usually made of maize, sometimes wheat.  Round, about an 8 inch diameter.  Pronounced tor-tee'-yuh.  The double L changes to a Y sound in Spanish.)

With cats, "burrito wrapping" is synonymous with "towel wrapping."  The analogy isn't exact, as burritos generally have the tortilla tucked in at each end.

Margret

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I was scared to death!  But now, i know how to do it! :)  And ai watched her drink for 10 minutes today!

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did do a burrito wrap, but that shot must really burn, she SHOT out of it.  My inexperience with giving needles didn't help. :(  But, the GOOD thing is that I was able to get all the antibiotics in her today.  She ate, drank, peed and even nursed and cuddled with her babies.  I syringe fed them all for a better part of the evening, to make sure they didn't take too much  from her. 

I will still be at the vet first thing tomorrow. 

They missed her. 

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They can burn. I think it'll get better. You're doing a great job! You've put so much work and heart into these girls and their babies!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so great! She's turned around! Make sure to let us know what the vet says tomorrow. Hang in there!

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can burn. I think it'll get better. You're doing a great job! You've put so much work and heart into these girls and their babies!
thank you. I truly do love my fosters while they are mine.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so great! She's turned around! Make sure to let us know what the vet says tomorrow. Hang in there!
I will! I teach a class at home school.co-op from 10:30 -11:30 in Newtown and take the first appointment that I can with the old vet. I'm not going to deal with the new one. She annoyed the heck out of me last time, and if I find out that there is an issue with the last kitten, her bleeding or anything like that I'll feeak out.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better. Look at all these new skills you are learning! You're going to be such an invaluable asset to the shelter after all you've done.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A burrito is a tortilla wrapped around refried beans, meat, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, hot peppers, whatever you like.  Once it's all wrapped up it becomes easy to eat with your hands.  Basically, a sandwich made with a tortilla.  (You know tortilla?  Flat, unleavened soft bread, usually made of maize, sometimes wheat.  Round, about an 8 inch diameter.  Pronounced tor-tee'-yuh.  The double L changes to a Y sound in Spanish.)

With cats, "burrito wrapping" is synonymous with "towel wrapping."  The analogy isn't exact, as burritos generally have the tortilla tucked in at each end.

Margret
I knew how to.pronounce tortilla but I've never eaten Mexican food.

I still don't really know how to wrap the cat burrito style

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew how to.pronounce tortilla but I've never eaten Mexican food.

I still don't really know how to wrap the cat burrito style
You get a bath towel, spread it across your lap, get someone else to pick up the cat and put her in your lap (never call the cat for this), and wrap the cat as tightly as possible while still leaving access to whichever body part you need access to.  The general idea is to keep the cat immobile while you do whatever disagreeable thing you need to her.  Frequently used for claw clipping, leaving just one paw free at a time.

For something like this you'd want all four paws confined to protect yourself from claws, and a second person to hold the cat and towel while you administer the shot, and after the first time the cat will be extremely wary.

Warning: This thread is in danger of being hijacked by Mexican food.  If we wish to continue beyond this post we should probably start a new thread and get some actual Mexicans involved.

Mexican food tends to be heavy on refried beans and hot sauce.  The hot sauce is partly the legacy of recipes coming from a time and/or place where refrigeration was unavailable so that meat tended to be just a bit off.  Hot sauce covered up the taste.  One assumes that the meat was sufficiently cooked to make it safe, at least.  Nowadays, and in the U.S., the hot sauce continues to be used either because people like hot sauce or because it's required for "authentic" Mexican food.

In my family (with no Mexican heritage) we used to eat something we called "tacorittos."  This is basically a taco made with a tortilla instead of a taco shell, which is hard.  Lay your tortilla flat, add whatever toppings you like (chopped avocado is especially good) along the diameter of the tortilla, wrap the two sides over and top with sliced cheese.  Microwave or put in the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese, which serves to hold the edges of the tortilla in place, and eat with a fork.  The fact that the ends aren't tucked in keeps it from being good finger food, but it also means that you have more room for fillings.

A taco uses a taco shell, like a small tortilla, but hard, and pre-shaped with a curved "fold" along the diameter.  Usually filled with crumbled hamburger, chopped tomatoes, and shredded lettuce, topped with shredded cheese.  Hot sauce is either used in cooking the hamburger or added separately.  Refried beans, chopped onion, and sour cream are also common fillings.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/NCI_Visuals_Food_Taco.jpg.  Tacos can only be eaten as finger food, and napkins are a good idea.

Margret

Last edited: