This Poor Cat

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that Wy is going into heat again and this is contributing to the new behavior. Do you see any signs of inflammation around her nipples?
Oh, goody.  Just what you need -- more kittens.  Maybe it's time to think about spaying, if only in self defense.

It's also possible that she's worried that you may want to take her to the vet, or take Naomi's kittens away from her and give them back to Naomi (you have been known to do that, you know, and it's really hard to explain to the cats about colostrum), or maybe it's just general cattitude.  But my first reaction is to say get the spaying taken care of soon!

Margret

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just a note, my reason for asking about the pipe inflammation is separate from her possibly bring in heat. The nipple inflammation would be due to mastitis.

With both girls nursing such a large number of kittens, I wouldn't worry about spaying just yet (unless it was truly need medically.) Not because of milk production, but, rather the concern of Naomi being left to nurse the whole crew if Wy wasn't feeling up to it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Way too soon to spay. Doesn't sound like heat either. She may just be exhausted and protecting the nest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ALL of MY cats are spayed and neutered. They were done as soon as possible. If I take her away to be spayed, will she lose her milk supply?  I'm sure she won't be able to nurse 12 kittens  after surgery- and thee is no way I can seperate them now. 

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't think to check her nipples. I will.  She likes to hide behind the boxes the kittens are in. . Poor girl

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is exhausted and overwhelmed. She probably needs a break, but it's too soon to spay!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that it's better to wait awhile before having her spayed. Spaying won't dry up her milk supply, I've had mother cats spayed when their kittens are around 10 weeks old and they went on nursing the kittens for a few weeks after that. However, going through surgery might be a bit too much for your poor girls right now.

If you think it's absolutely necessary to spay her, if she manages to get out and you think she has mated for example, you could ask the vet to do a flank spay rather than a belly spay.

I'll be thinking of you all when I have my glass of wine tonight.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just fed them the last feeding. I checked her nipples and I did see one that was reddish. She was nervous, so i let her go. Then, this happened.
she seems to be subservient to Naomi. Any ideas? Her babies are starting to be ready to get out of the box! They want to explore.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's time to expand the area they are allowed to explore! The older kittens need to leave the nest and explore safely, and play. This generally makes mama kitties nervous. That may be behind her behavior too. But they have to branch out. The older kittens will be weaning soon.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, keep in mind that most often the hormones make pregnant momma extremely affectionate and now they're gone/subsiding. She may revert back to being a bit weary or her surroundings. I think she just needs space and some time. She's had a big few weeks! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, keep in mind that most often the hormones make pregnant momma extremely affectionate and now they're gone/subsiding. She may revert back to being a bit weary or her surroundings. I think she just needs space and some time. She's had a big few weeks! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
She has!

And the best news?

SOMEONE HAS  PUT IN AN APPLICATION TO ADOPT HER! 

And MAYBE ONE OF THE KITTENS!

whoohooo! 

nOW i WILL GO SECRETELY  STALK HER ON fb

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wendy, that is a mass  of kittens and cats... no wonder Wy is trying to get some peace and quiet. She needs to get away. I do not know how you can tell who belongs to who, and keep track of them! 

Kind of glad that there is a potential adopter, but I feel really bad that Wy and Naomi will be split up. They have a special bond...this entire episode really proves that. They seem to belong  together, not separate. 

sigh...I guess that is life.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that Wy and Naomi should stay together. Would the potential adopter consider this? It may be worth asking!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
she seems to be subservient to Naomi. Any ideas? Her babies are starting to be ready to get out of the box! They want to explore.
Remember a true cat guardians feet never actually leave the floor but shuffle lest they catch a tail or little food.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trust the shelter, and they trust me. I can't help but think that Wynonna might THRIVE in a home where it's just her and one of her kittens. I've watched Naomi bully her along even taking over some of the mothering tasks.  She really isn't the dominate cat.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she seems to be subservient to Naomi. Any ideas?
  1. Naomi is the mother with new kittens.  Wynonna is her midwife and birth coach.  Of course she's subservient.  It's appropriate.
  2. Naomi is Wynonna's own mother.  That has to count for something.
Margret

Last edited:

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  1. Naomi is the mother with new kittens.  Wynonna is her midwife and birth coach.  Of course she's subservient.  It's appropriate.
  2. Naomi is Wynonna's own mother.  That has to count for something.

Margret
Oh, it does. But, its to the point Wy won't eat near Noami, because Naomi will push her out of the way and eat her food.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heres a few pic from today:
Wy, once she got away from her Mom and her kittens for a little while, came up to me and begged for some pets and love.