This Poor Cat

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel guilty. It doesn't seem like it was in the cards for this little one to make it, for whatever reason. I hope everyone else is well.

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something similar happens in humans occasionally, a baby is born with two X's and a Y.  It can be very confusing, as if people didn't already have enough to confuse them, and some people believe, incorrectly, that it means the person with the unusual chromosomes will be some kind of sociopath.

Margret
Yes, I knew about humans. I suppose it's not far fetched to happen in other species. You just rarely hear of it, you know? [emoji]128524[/emoji]

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sad news. And graphic photo.
Naomi delivered another kitten tonight after 8:00 pm. It died.

It was sweet. Perfectly groomed. And a little warm when I got home. Im feeling terrible because it was like 36 hours after the last birth. She showed NO signs of having more kittens. She looked fine. So, i went out for dinner, and we came home to the 9th kitten, dead, hidden between the boxes.
I am gutted. Will be calling the vet in the morning.
There may not have been anything you could have done had you been home. A 9th kitten is quite the surprise. Sending hugs your way. [emoji]10084[/emoji]

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You can tell Naomi and Wy tried their best. Does Naomi seem ok?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a very large litter. and a not very big cat. There are no words. I suggest you name the wee one so it goes noticed in the world and then release yourself from the guilt.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no.  So sorry to hear it.  At least she did deliver it; it would have killed her had it remained inside.

(((Hugs to you, two wonderful Mama kitties, and twelve beautiful kittens.)))

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
now I'm terrified that she might have another. Hopefully the vet will make me feel better tomorrow. when I call

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about the surprise kitten. Hopefully you had a calm rest of your night and that you are able to get ahold of the vet first thing this morning. Let us know what the vet has to say.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Wendy..I am so sorry.

You could not have known or predicted another birth. As it was stated, you may not have been able to do anything to save this one.....

Yes, a Vet consult may be in order. I hate to take Naomi in, but she had such a large litter, who knows.....

If there is another unborn kitten, this could be really serious for her. It could become infected, and then she would be septic, etc....

A vet visit may not be a bad idea....

((hugs))

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she needs a check-up to be sure. It is highly unlikely, but you never know. Poor cat, she must have been very uncomfortable.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Naomi is bleeding. 

Not a lot, but she never bled before, and Wynonna didn't bleed after her kittens, either. 

I called the vet, and the said  it was "normal" after  a large litter, and a stillborn. But I don't know if it was stillborn, and I don't know if the placenta was delivered.  I wasn't there.  They aren't concerned, but I kinda am. Should I be?   She never bled after the 1st 8, and Wy didn't bleed after her 4, and it was her first litter. 

I'm worried. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Considering everything, I'd be inclined to have an x-ray and/or ultrasound done just to be on the safe side.

Some spotting is normal for some cats after giving birth, but considering she didn't have this initially and then she had the surprise baby, I'd want to make sure 1.) there aren't any remaining kittens and 2.) there no other complications.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be worried too, I understand your concern. I would certainly take her in to be looked at, that number of births could easily have caused a problem. It may be nothing, but you need to be sure, especially since you never saw the last placenta.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right?  The shelter is like, do whatever you need to do, and if she is still bleeding insist that she be seen.  it's just-- wouldn't she have bled last night, or first thing this morning?  It was after breakfast Aedan went down to check on kittens and he saw the blood

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
agree with ^^^^^

Sorry that things are not going as smoothly. I would get her looked at. Is the bleeding stopped? will she let you hold a compress over the area that's bleeding? Do you have someone to drive with you=maybe they can drive and you can make sure no more bleeding or at least hold a clothe at the bleeding site to try to get the blood to clot.

Sending HUGS!!!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think she should see a vet. That doesn't look like like "spotting" as it seems like waaay too much blood. It seems more like the amount of blood that would indicate a miscarriage. Hopefully she doesn't have a placenta or a dead kitten still in there.

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! How is she doing now? Were you able to get a hold of a vet that would help?

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lola bled like that the first few days. I was worried also because it was bright red (new blood) as yours is. Everyone assured me it was normal and she should stop in a few days. She did but not before literally dripping trails behind her at times and spotting the towel, just the same as Naomi is! Oh and Lola's mother, which only had the 3, Lola, Teddy and Roo bled even worse. Bad enough where I took pics and ask the vet to look at them. They said "Is that all? Usually, it's worse than that!" Hope this helps ease your worries! :alright:

Last edited: