This Poor Cat

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, so I visited Animal Planet's website: http://www.animalplanet.com/

No contact link at all.  So then I did a Google search on "Animal Planet contact information."  The closest that got me was a link for a producer's portal, where a producer can pitch a new show: https://producers.discovery.com/producersPortal/

I don't think that's what you had in mind, either.  Was there a particular show on Animal Planet that you thought would be good?  I think we have a better chance at getting contact information for, say, "Planet's Funniest Animals" (not the right show, IMO, and I believe it's no longer being produced, which is a pity) than just generic Animal Planet.

I note that Jackson Galaxy appears on "My Cat From Hell," which is also not the right show for this, but perhaps he would consent to assist, if we asked him.

Margret
Galaxy is promoting my cat from heaven as a side story for his my cat from hell. The image of these cats is so touching. I seen it so many times with the feral. Mothers and daughters and sisters with that tight bond. I'm for anything that promotes cats as the intelligent creatures they are.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Galaxy is promoting my cat from heaven as a side story for his my cat from hell. The image of these cats is so touching. I seen it so many times with the feral. Mothers and daughters and sisters with that tight bond. I'm for anything that promotes cats as the intelligent creatures they are.
Well, there we go, then.  I note, however, that they seem to have all episodes for this season (which began one week ago) already in the bag.  In all fairness, the video is probably going to need some major editing, preferably by an expert.  Hours of video of Naomi panting and stealing (and hiding) Wynonna's kittens, while adorable, will begin to get old fairly fast.  Also, it would be a better show if it follows up as all the kittens grow and the mothers co-parent them.

Margret

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Animal Planet or even Wild would be great! or PBS! 

On AP they had a program: Cutest kittens, cats..I forget the real name but it could be the start of some kind of story for them...

Have you thought of contacting Caster Magazine?  When I have time, I check to see if there is any contact information.

How is the "little" family doing today? and the new babies...Naomi and Wynona? 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would probably be easier to start local with the humane society's help with a promo show. Once on it could go viral and be picked up by networks and go from there.

It wouldn't hurt to contact your local humane society and television station about getting it aired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You people are quite simply, THE BEST.

I wasn't thinking last night. I was exhausted and  emotional.

I am a writer, and in fact have a local news man writing about  the online Kitten shower I'm hosting for my shelter.  He always posts pics of my foster babies,and is a huge cat fan. I'll reach out to them. I have contacts. I was just--- brain dead?  last night.   After  9  hours of sleep (!!!!0 I'm awake and ready  to get my day started. 

First off,  The kittens were moved!  I walked in to 2 hungry cats and no kittens!  they had hidden them in a kiddie pool I used with a blanket for a whelping box, but they were hidden under the blanket and in folds, I didn't think it was safe and it was too easy for a baby to get stuck and not get to a mam for milk, so I moved them to another box, and removed anything they could hide the kittens under.  Wy immediately started nursing  a bunch of kittens while Naomi looked a bit perturbed that I moved them .  Eventually, she settled down and started nursing the 6 I put with her.  The didn't gain quiet enough weaight for  to fee lcomfortable after a quick weight, so I separated them . Wy was already nursing 2 of Naomi's kittens, so I left them there.  Later, i'll swap them.  If hey are stil seperate because  Naomi looked upset to be seperated from them all. We'll see.  Here's a few pics. 

Together, but separate.  

Feeding time.

Don't worry, little sister. Everything is going to be just fine. 

How much should I be expecting to feed the Queesn?  They are, of course, STARVING, I've been giving them 2-3 5.5o cans of food, shared,  bowls of dry food, lots of water, and some KMR. they LOVE treats, too- so I pass them out, well, like candy.  Thoughts?

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking to maybe edit the video (once I figure out how to Down load it, Facebook live is new to me) and  then put together something.  I work quite a lot in social media and have lot sof contacts there.   I agree, it should be  a process, taking video over a period of time.

I did write a bit of a rant yesterday in my hormonal  state about how devastated I was for theMomma cats  leading up to a plea for people to spay, neuter and adopt the Mommas that is getting quite a bit of attention.  I wrote i from my heart, I think that's why. :) 

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, if any of you fabulous people friended me on Facebook, please let me know  so I can approve it.  I have a public page, so anyone can see it- you don't have to be my friend to read it, but I'd love to be friends with you all! 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone is doing amazingly! The mothers have obviously really got it together as to what they want to do with their babies, though it may not accord with your ideas.

As to your question, I would give the mother cats as much food as they will eat. Do not ration it, leave a bowl of crunchies or something always available, and give them two or even three meals a day of wet food, preferably kitten food as it is richer. KMR is a good thing, also I give nursing cats plain yogourt or fromage frais. Get hte lactose free versions if you can as some cats get upset with whole milk, though most cheese and yogourt is low lactose anyway. They need all the nutrients they can get at this stage., and will do until the babies are weaned.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that you should give the mama kitties as much as they want of whatever food they want, including plenty of KMR.  They have to be making a heck of a lot of milk, and they need fuel.

They probably hid the kittens in the blankets for warmth when they needed to leave them for a few minutes.  They knew the kittens wouldn't get stepped on in the tub.  Please make sure that the place you moved them to is nice and cozy.

{I once knew a St. Bernard named Dusa (short for Medusa).  She was pedigreed, and a champion.  Her humans bred her, and all but one of the puppies were born dead.  She did her best to nurse the dead ones, trying to revive them until her humans took them away and buried them, which she did not take well.  So then she decided to hide the one remaining puppy so the humans couldn't bury it.  Unfortunately, her idea of "hiding" the puppy was to put it underneath an area rug in the hallway, where people had to walk.  Everyone in that family was feeling rather paranoid about where they stepped for a while.  Poor Dusa.  I wonder what became of her.  And, BTW, Dusa is just one of the reasons I don't consider "bitch" to be a bad word.}

Margret

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when Mazie and Suzie were pregnant/nursing, they would eat about 5 cans of wet food a day, (EACH CAT)  not to mention the Kitten Chow I always kept full for snacking.  I know, you feel like they are eating you out of house and home.  At least my pregnant/lactating queens were not pregnant/lactating at the same time. 

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched the videos this morning and I have to say that I am amazed at these two queens to share in the birthing process and taking care of these babies. I am over joyed that the babies and mommies are doing so well.

As far as feeding, you have gotten some great advise. You had said that Naomi didn't like KMR but you could mix some in with her wet food and she may eat/drink it that way. When I'm weaning babies I will mix it in so they can get more nutrients. Dry kitten food available at all times to give them more vitamins. They will need all the food they can eat in order to make enough milk for all these babies.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great advise everyone!   I'll jsut keep feeding them all day long-- lol

Naomi did drink the KNR today, Wynonna didn't. I'll jsut offer it to them each time I go down to feed the babies.

I've decided to suppliment a fwe of the smaller ones- the black ones, for some reason, just aren't gaining as much as the others. I gave them each about .5 to 1m of kmr before the Queesn would get upset with me. 

Here is the thing;NONE of them look like they are in trouble, They're al nursing, and accepting any mother that climbs in with them. Was I right to seperate the Moms? Should I put them All in a large box? Leave them alone?   What do I do?   They seem to be ok together or apart.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that stroy.  I was VERY nervous moving that blanket this morning!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I see for separating them is to make sure the newborns get as much colostrum as possible.  Once that's past, the moms are really going to need to work together to feed this many.

Margret

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I was thinking to maybe edit the video (once I figure out how to Down load it, Facebook live is new to me) and  then put together something.  I work quite a lot in social media and have lot sof contacts there.   I agree, it should be  a process, taking video over a period of time.

I did write a bit of a rant yesterday in my hormonal  state about how devastated I was for theMomma cats  leading up to a plea for people to spay, neuter and adopt the Mommas that is getting quite a bit of attention.  I wrote i from my heart, I think that's why. :) 
It was a beautiful hormonal rant that hit many nails right on the head. Lots of people have video of cats giving birth. What was going on between those two mama cats is just special. It shows a side of cats that needs to be shown.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do keep an eye on weights, and suppliment.  The back nipples do not produce as much milk, and that's where the weaker kittens end up, as their greedy, stronger siblings take over the prime locations.  That is the actual origin of the rather nasty saying, "sucking hind tit," meaning making do with a less favorable situation.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was checking in on the kitties, and I noticed this discharge from Naomi. She doesnt seem to be in any distress, eating, drinking, nursing, etc, but I noticed this while petting her. It doesnt smell, and she just cleaned herself.

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I have been told, discharge is normal for days if not weeks after the birth for the mama. If it becomes bloody or smells funky then I would call the vet to make sure that it isn't an infection or anything bad.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discharge is normal for about a week after giving birth. It should lessen and consist mostly of spotting of blood, turning pinkish. Any yellow or green indicates infection, which needs immediate treatment with antibiotics.

Keep them as separate as you can this first week, until you can be certain who is getting what. Continue to supplement the tiniest ones, until they are gaining 6-10 grams consistently on a daily basis.

Both moms should consume as much wet and dry food as they want, with dry food constantly available.

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just found out I can use the desktop site with my tablet! Yay! Subsequently found your thread. Lola waddled JUST like this and was just as big. I've not made it through all your posts yet to see if she's delivered but if not, let's pray you have a smaller litter than ours! They're all precious but HARD WORK! It's worth it though to ensure everyone makes it!!!