This is going to be one for the books! Transitioning Lucky, Bugsy and Hope to Raw.... Challenges Gal

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey...I think we should have some before and after picture.  Like with Mickey

silviar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want you to know I read through your kittie's journies - this is SO awesome! :D

silviar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking

Thank you though Silviar!
I speed read. :) I read between 60-100 books a year, too. And most of them are 400 pages plus. And work two jobs. And remain slave to the kitten overlord.

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This journey has been amazing! Everytime I think that my cat might not be able to get off her meds I think of this thread and keep my fingers crossed that one day maybe she will be med free too!
I am so happy for your little fur babies and most of all....

Way to go Bugsy on the clean butt!

Now I just wish my cat would do a better job on the whole butt cleaning! She seems to clean everything else, and leaves the butt....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is definitely fighing that last ounce :sweat:
16lb 1oz today - for a gigantic NOT weight loss of 1/2 oz this week :lol3:

Seeing Dr. E Tomorrow - Crossing fingers he is going to say NO dental fro Bugsy :cross:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is definitely fighing that last ounce :sweat:
16lb 1oz today - for a gigantic NOT weight loss of 1/2 oz this week :lol3:

Seeing Dr. E Tomorrow - Crossing fingers he is going to say NO dental fro Bugsy :cross:
Good luck Bugsy!! :vibes::vibes:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crackup: Oh Laurie, you crack me up :crackup:

Nope, thank goodness he didn't poop in the way to the vet :lol3:

Ok, let's see........ Good news bad news for Bugsy today -
Unfortunately he will need a dental - there is a lot of tartear build up on his teeth..... :( That's the bad news. The excellent news is, no sign of stomatitis, even with all that tartar :bigthumb:
He does have gingivitis, But Dr. E thinks once we remove the tartar he will do well.
My plan is to start giving him chicken wings twice a week now after the dental to keep those chops clean. I will not put him through a dental now - it will be done about February or so. I have some things going on that will stress him out quite a bit, and I want him to settle before putting him through any additional stress.

Whatelse? Like yesterday, he weighed 16lbs 1oz :clap::clap::clap::clap: Dr. E was VERY Impressed! :clap::clap::clap::clap: He said he can now feel all his organs, and he no longer feels that thick layer of fat around his kidneys and liver :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I asked him for a new goal - he said to aim for 10% loss, so 1.6lbs, which will put him at 14.4lbs :D

He said he looks AMAZING :woohoo:

I discussed the risks of HCM with him. For those who don't know, a couple of weeks ago I contacted Bugsy's breeder to see if Bugsy had been scanned for HCM, since it runs on Ragdolls. She said:
"Bugsy's daddy came from old, well-established lines none of which outwardly carried HCM. The mother, though, belonged to a different breeder who is no longer in business. If you can afford it, you might have him tested." While she is confident about Bugsy's daddy and his line, she can no longer contact Bugsy's momma's breeder, as she has gone out of business and has since lost contact with her.

Dr. E said he barelly sees HCM in Ragdolls - he would be worried if he was a Maine Coon - he does see HCM in them a lot. When I discussed the cost of the scan, he mentioned the Cardiopet blood test and explained to me how it works. It is NOT as reliable, as the disease needs to be quite advanced to show in the blood test - however, what we should do for Bugsy, is create a Baseline with the Blood test, and test him every year. If we notice the numbers rising, then we have a reason for concern. Results come in a couple of days - he said he wants a LOW LOW number :cross:
I did test him for a base line, and will test him every year. For now that's what I am going to do. :nod:

Aside from that, He has a ear infection, not too bad, but will get treated.......

And got microchiped today - he was the only one who was not chipped.....

EDIT: I forgot - about the hiccups - He said don't worry about it.... as long as he doesn't show signs of distress, it happens in animals and it is nothing to worry about.

Well...... This is all..... :wavey:

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The excellent news is, no sign of stomatitis, even with all that tartar
Yay. 
  Good vet visit.  Tartar is much easier to deal with than stomatitis.  Some cats are just given to quick tartar build up from what I've read.  I'm sure your chicken wing plan will help. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But her wallet is covered by Pet Insurance, I believe :lol3: , so even it might be doing a happy dance
Nooooo..... :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:

The wallet got hit on this one. :doh3:
Even if they cover the ear infection - that's the only thing they would cover.... Then it wouldn't be worth it, because there is the deductible plus the percentage I pay.
Remember - there was a microchip charge, the culture for his ear, the flea meds (not covered, hit the wallet big)....

The HCM, I think if he was showing symptoms and sick.... then yeah.... If it comes back positive (KNOCK ON WOOD IT WON'T) then YEAH - I will submit it as they will cover it and the treatment too..... But this was not requested by the vet - I requested it a a preventative measure.... He isn't sick..... So technically, there isn't HCM to be covered :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooo - are annual exams and ... screenings, like the HCM test, covered? :dk:
If he was showing symptoms and his vet requested as diagnostics, yes, HCM screening/US would be covered :nod:
On this case I chose to do it as a baseline for his future, just in case, since it happens in his breed :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Well let's hope it stays that way!
For sure :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: