The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty funny!
He's already dropped and that's part of the problem. It's rather difficult to walk with a baby's head jammed into your pelvis. Painful, too. I think I should be carried everywhere until he comes out. Lol

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Facebook click bait, it was about cat colors. Apparently 81% of orange cats are male. The only way a female cat can be orange is if the father is orange and the kitten inherits the orange gene from the mother. Guaranteed orange if Mommy is one of the 19% orange, 50/50 if Mommy is a tortoiseshell.

But here's the interesting to me part. It talked about how the black and orange colors can look like other colors. Black creates cinnamon and orange creates cream. It also talked about males with both colors and the three ways that a male can end up with both black and orange colors. Out of curiosity I looked up images of cinnamon colored cats and cream colored cats. No doubt about it, Montressor's belly fur is not cinnamon, it is cream. He must have both the black and orange genes.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaaargh! I am three states away from Lelia right now for the weekend and checked on her from my security camera to see that she got the cords from the blinds loose and is playing with it and now I'm all worried.

Can someone tell me she'll be okay? I'll tell the cat sitter to fix it tomorrow but now I'm just going to fret.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaaargh! I am three states away from Lelia right now for the weekend and checked on her from my security camera to see that she got the cords from the blinds loose and is playing with it and now I'm all worried.

Can someone tell me she'll be okay? I'll tell the cat sitter to fix it tomorrow but now I'm just going to fret.
Can you call the sitter and have them run over and fix it?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh. Is it possible to teach an old cat new tricks?

My in-laws sent a gift for the cats. It's an interactive toy thing, there's little cups and a spikey area and squiggles molded in a plastic tray. You put treats in it and the cat has to use his paws to dig the treats out of the cups or push the treats out of the spikes and squiggles. They also sent 3 bags of treats of brands I've never used. Nope, no Temptations.

So I dug the thing out of the box and put it on the floor. Montressor is lying on the bed watching. I ripped open the plastic on one of the bags of treats and before it was fully torn open Montressor was off the bed and meowing loudly for treats. I gave him a couple to make sure he liked them, he gobbled them down and I put them all over the toy. He tried to shove his face into the cups. He tried to shove his face between the spikes. I picked up a paw and he really fought against me trying to put his paw in a cup. I used my finger to bat around a couple of treats in the spiked area. He then tried again to shove his face between the obstacles.

I gave up, gave him a small handful of treats and walked away. Maybe he's just too darn old to learn how to play with the toy.
I got one of those for our kids. Chocolate, who will sell her cat-soul for treats, figured it out right away. She didn't like reaching into the tunnel, though. Darwin gave it a couple of tries, but quickly gave up. Velcro doesn't eat treats (although he seems to like the expensive freeze-dried stuff Santa brought) so he ignored the thing completely. I might as well donate it to a rescue group thrift shop. The wooden puzzle box I just got is going back to Chewy. All they want to get out is the catnip-scented pompoms I made, and they just reach in and hook those right out. The balls roll out by themselves and are a trip hazard. Another bad choice.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will probably be ok. Mine have totally trashed the blinds. We're going to replace them when we move. Our landlord has always been really good to us - it seems like the least we can do.
I'm about to head to bed. It's not even 9pm yet, but I didn't get my nap today and I'm totally out of steam. I just can't get through a full day without a nap anymore.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will probably be ok. Mine have totally trashed the blinds. We're going to replace them when we move. Our landlord has always been really good to us - it seems like the least we can do.
I'm about to head to bed. It's not even 9pm yet, but I didn't get my nap today and I'm totally out of steam. I just can't get through a full day without a nap anymore.
Thanks. It looks like she's moved away from them for now. This is going to be the longest I've left her (two nights instead of just one), so I'm just a bit on edge.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No doubt about it, Montressor's belly fur is not cinnamon, it is cream. He must have both the black and orange genes
See, I've seen males who look like they have a cream tummy, but I've never seen a tortie female with a red tummy so I'm not sure that's how the tortie/calico gene goes :dunno:.

For some reason my family has known more red females than red males so my mom was skeptical, lol. She didn't quite believe that 81% figure.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Facebook click bait, it was about cat colors. Apparently 81% of orange cats are male. The only way a female cat can be orange is if the father is orange and the kitten inherits the orange gene from the mother. Guaranteed orange if Mommy is one of the 19% orange, 50/50 if Mommy is a tortoiseshell.

But here's the interesting to me part. It talked about how the black and orange colors can look like other colors. Black creates cinnamon and orange creates cream. It also talked about males with both colors and the three ways that a male can end up with both black and orange colors. Out of curiosity I looked up images of cinnamon colored cats and cream colored cats. No doubt about it, Montressor's belly fur is not cinnamon, it is cream. He must have both the black and orange genes.
When I had my feral colony I had 9 orange cats and only 1 of them was female. I had 4 cream colored and 2 of them was female.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actally salt is not a nutrient. Salt (table kosher, what you buy at the supermarket) is a mineral Salt

Sodium is a component of salt (sodium chloride) and an essential nutrient.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have seen that color on a male cat's belly, I just always assumed it was a shade of tabby and not true red/cream (or cinnamon). I suppose there's no way to know without him throwing red female kittens (can't apply to neutered pets!) or maybe a DNA test. Interesting anyway.

I just want to snuggle that kitten!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinnamon is a variation of black, but yeah, that is not Montressor's belly.

Watching Investigation Discovery, very clever police work. They strongly suspected a man of killing someone but needed DNA to prove it and didn't have enough evidence to compel a DNA sample. So during his interrogation he said he was hungry so they offered to get him fast food. Afterwards when he said he was done, they offered to throw the packaging and cup in the trash. As one detective grabbed the cup, the other one asked how was he going to explain that his DNA was on the body. Police don't need a warrant to go through someone's trash, including a straw covered with their saliva.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching Investigation Discovery, very clever police work. They strongly suspected a man of killing someone but needed DNA to prove it and didn't have enough evidence to compel a DNA sample. So during his interrogation he said he was hungry so they offered to get him fast food. Afterwards when he said he was done, they offered to throw the packaging and cup in the trash. As one detective grabbed the cup, the other one asked how was he going to explain that his DNA was on the body. Police don't need a warrant to go through someone's trash, including a straw covered with their saliva.
And at this point I'm pretty sure that all the more experienced criminals know about this trick. I've seen it on Blue Bloods for certain, and I think I've seen it on some of the other cop shows as well. It probably works best with youngsters. (Kind of like fingerprints. Everybody knows about them now, so when committing any kind of premeditated crime criminals wear gloves. It doesn't make them useless, by any means; a lot of crimes are more spur of the moment.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also lots of nutmeg which gives food a subtle flavor where people always ask "what IS that? It's good." I had someone comment the other day that she had never seen the nutmeg nut itself when I was grinding away on my plane.
Oh, I must have a nutmeg at all times! There is NOTHING like freshly-planed nutmeg!

Salt is not a spice. Salt is a nutrient.
LOL, salt is not a spice. Salt is a ROCK. We put it on our food. Don't ask me why. :p I'm not a huge fan of salt. I do like tiny amounts, but you can almost count the grains of salt I put on foods. I do cook with it, but I just don't care for it sprinkeld that much. Watermelon and popcorn being major exceptions. OH...and salted caramel ice cream. The salt-sweet juxtaposition is appealing.

That's pretty funny!
He's already dropped and that's part of the problem. It's rather difficult to walk with a baby's head jammed into your pelvis. Painful, too. I think I should be carried everywhere until he comes out. Lol
I feel for you. I carried my first one 11 months. The doctor kept telling me I got my dates wrong. HAH! He was 8 pounds, 8 ounces, which isn't THAT big, but he was 27 INCHES LONG! And held his head up and focused at 12 hours old. I think I'd have given birth when he was packed and ready for college, but a friend threw me on the back of a Harley hard-tail and drove me down 15 miles of bad road.

It talked about how the black and orange colors can look like other colors.
The genetics of cat colors is fascinating! I love the fact that, genetically, there are only two coat colors, black and red. Everything else is a dilution, permutation, or lack of color.

Can someone tell me she'll be okay?
I can't promise it, but it is quite rare for a cat to get into trouble like that. I'm glad she's found something else to play with now!

Since I will only be checking the Health forum breifly tomorrow, let me take this time to say
upload_2017-12-30_16-22-15.jpeg

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Completely random question: what food group do mushrooms fall under? They're not a fruit or vegetable - they're a fungus. I've always wondered but never really bothered to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.