The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not here. It's horribly warm. About 30° above normal. Yesterday it was 70°F. Had to put on shorts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we were actually just talking about that. Right now, we don't have an extra $10, let alone $30, but when payday rolls around - late Thursday night - we might do it. It would be a handy thing to have.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in major pout mode at the moment. I was supposed to get delicious homemade soup for lunch. Instead, I got a stupid car that won't start. It feels like a personal insult!
Instead, I just had a frozen pizza. Doesn't compare. *grumbles to self*

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 , if you go into labor with no car, DON'T PANIC! Women did this on their own for a very long time before modern hospitals and doctors were invented. Just make sure in advance that you have plenty of clean towels on hand, and call your O.B. and ask him or her to walk you through it (um, call at the time, I don't mean in advance).

However, the chances are that you will have your car running. How does that saying go? Something like "Never borrow trouble. There are plenty of people out there giving it away for free."

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the hospital is so close, I'm sure I won't have to have the baby here. I can always call an ambulance or maybe get one of the neighbors to take me. But I really would feel much better if the car was running.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have a physics question, one I've been wondering about for years and never been able to find an answer to. But we have so many people here, with such varied backgrounds, that I thought I should ask.

Let's say it's the middle of the night and you wake up wanting a glass of water. You have a glass next to the sink; you know you can find it in the dark and you don't want to awaken your spouse by turning on a light (not to mention that you don't want to thoroughly wake up yourself, which turning on a light will do to you) so you find your way to the sink in the dark. You put your glass under the faucet and turn on the water, and you know when your glass is nearly full because the sound of the water rises in pitch as the glass gets fuller, so you don't even have to get your finger wet to tell when you have enough water. And no, "Why does the sound get higher as the water rises?" is not the question; that would be too easy. I already know the answer to that one; it happens because you're hearing the vibration of the air inside the glass and as the water level rises the size of the air chamber gets smaller so the frequency rises, just like when you play a wind instrument. Blind people have used this trick for a very long time.

But now, suppose that as soon as you get out of bed to get your water you realize that it's cold in your house. :coldcat:You don't want a glass of cold water; you want warm or hot water. So when you get to the sink you turn on the hot tap and wait for the water from the heater to push enough of the cold water that's already in the pipes out so that the water starts coming out of the faucet hot. And surprisingly enough, you can also do this by ear. The water changes pitch when it starts running hot. Does anyone know why this is?

Note: I have observed this phenomenon in every faucet in our house, so it isn't something strange about one faucet, and I've noticed it both before and after we replaced our water heater with a newer Energy Star rated water heater, so it isn't something to do with the water heater.

Margret
It probably has to do with the metal heating up.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I was wrong...i cant hear the difference as my hearing is shot but it does appear to be a hair different when it comes out of the faucet.

Allicia sorry the car is being an :censored:. I would suggest alternator if the radio works. If battery is dead your lights would dim almost immediately...does John have a trickle charger? We have one for all the batteries we have for the tractors and other cars we dont use in the winter...if it was dead you could run the trickle charger and have a backup battery if he wants to deal with that.

If I waz close by I would bring some of my homemeade bread n make pizza bread or other useful food that tastes better than frozen food. :hugs:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that's so nice!
No, we don't have a trickle charger or anything. We'll get it jumped, take it to auto zone, and have them test the battery and alternator. And go from there.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just decided to share the latest dog sitting news finally now that I know I made the ONLY DECISION I know I could have .
I ended up calling SNOOPYS mother and told her I can no longer have my furkids walking on eggshells, because SNOOPY was turning into a Bully and attacked my senior lab Dakota twice, my boyfriends dog TIC once and finally he tried to hurt MAXIMILION!!!!! So Saturday at 4am, with tears in my eyes I came to the conclusion that I can not help a friend while endangering them....so sadly SNOOPY is an owner surrender at the SPCA. I still feel like a failure because this is the only animal I haven't been able to save and it makes my heart hurt and my eyes WELL up, I pray he finds a forever home that has no OTHER furkids .

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesnt make you a failure!!! Animals are their own person! You did the best you can. Not fair for rest of family to have nose out of joint. You are doing the right thing. You gave it a shot! You tried!! Thats positive!

Now to see if I can ring in the new year with a cat on my belly...so far they are still sleeping on the couch and they are cute!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did your best. That's all anyone can ask.
So, John's manager said I can't go into labor tonight because she doesn't want to work the register. Now I want to just to spite her.
Clearly, I'm very grumpy tonight. But still. It's not like I have any control over it anyway.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did your best. That's all anyone can ask.
So, John's manager said I can't go into labor tonight because she doesn't want to work the register. Now I want to just to spite her.
Clearly, I'm very grumpy tonight. But still. It's not like I have any control over it anyway.

Wow the nerve! Sounds like shes a um..how do I say it delicately? Oh Bless your heart I think is how the southerners say it for a umm not nice situation..

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's about the nicest way to put it. John just told her that if I do go into labor, he's walking out and if he gets fired, he'll explain it to the unemployment office and get paid anyway.
It's gonna be insanely cold tonight. Screenshot_2017-12-31-18-00-47.png
I'm glad there's nowhere I need to go!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 shush, For future reference:... raspberry tea is an old midwives trick....BUT, I want you to be at least 38 weeks before you have any of it.... Yes... 38+ weeks...

We used to do Amniocentesis for Lung Maturity, at 37 weeks on, minimum.. never before..
Please be patient and wait...a lot of them came back as unmatured.. You do not want to deal with a infant with respiratory disease, because lungs were not ready for oxygen...

And, first babies are notoriously late.. I would say, 99% of the time...please wait..

I worked in Prenatal Ultrasound, dealing with High-Risk pregnancies, for over 15 years..
I have seen a ton...

First baby.....Please, wait it out,... baby has to be 'cooked"...and ready...

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read something like that, on Daily Mail or something like that. . .I'll see if I can find an actual scientific explanation :D.

Ah, here it is: "The reason for it is that water changes its viscosity - its stickiness - according to its temperature. . .(whole bunch of science). . .when you heat the water up, the particles start to move much more quickly. They have more kinetic energy which is a function of the temperature. This means that they're zipping past each other much faster. They're therefore gluing onto each other less well and this makes the water runnier or less viscous."
Why does hot water sound different to cold water when poured? | Science Questions | Naked Scientists
So it is in fact, the density of the water. Interesting. :rock:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, John found a ride home. So now I'm gonna go to bed. I wanted to stay up to ring in the new year but I'm just too tired. Good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.